Camper van.. LPG leak causes explosion.. owner survives ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Ford Transit blew up on a quiet country lane between Doncaster and Rotherham on Wednesday night, in what is said to be an accident.

A 41-year-old man is believed to have been living in the van, which was parked up in a small lay-by on Lime Kiln Lane, the road from Stainton to Tickhill.

The explosion is believed to have been caused when a leaking gas cylinder inside the van was accidentally ignited after the owner parked up for the night.

Full story
Link Removed

Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It looks like the safest place to hide in such a situation would be inside the gas cylinder, if you were skinny enough to get in!

-Nasty!:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
How scary is that.

When I built our van I fitted drop valves wherever there was a joint in the gas installation and then had it all pressure checked by a qualified fitter. You really have to respect the potential danger.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Stew, what are "Drop valves"? they only ones I know of are used in toilet cisterns instead of a syphon.

Ian

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Its a fancy name for a hole. I got the name from magnums, the great alladins cave for self builders in Grimsby ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:.

Wherever i put in a joint in the pipe work (kept to a minimum) or fitted a gas appliance I drilled a 1 inch hole through the floor and then glued in a plastic fitting with a mesh to stop little furry creatures joining us inside. I guess drop vent would be a better name.

I think the idea is that gas drops as its heavier than air so if you give it a way out you are safer

stew

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Its a fancy name for a hole. I got the name from magnums, the great alladins cave for self builders in Grimsby ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:.

Wherever i put in a joint in the pipe work (kept to a minimum) or fitted a gas appliance I drilled a 1 inch hole through the floor and then glued in a plastic fitting with a mesh to stop little furry creatures joining us inside. I guess drop vent would be a better name.

I think the idea is that gas drops as its heavier than air so if you give it a way out you are safer

stew

That's exactly right - a 'drop vent'. All properly fitted and constructed LPG lockers have them and the lockers themselves sealed from the interior of the van. LPG is heavier than air and sinks to the lowest point where is 'pools' - and that's what makes it so dangerous on a boat - if you fit 'drop vents' in the lowest part of the hull where the gas sinks and collects in invisible pools, the boat tends to sink ! :RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't know what type of van other than tranny, but let this be a warning to a lot of self builders and owners of converted vans :thumb: I see lots of vans for sale on ebay with just a simple box holding the gas bottle and some simply under the cooker :Eeek::Eeek:
Jim this is practically on my doorstep (within 10 mls) how the hell did you find it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Jim this is practically on my doorstep (within 10 mls) how the hell did you find it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

I thought that as well. We live even closer and we have'nt heard anything about it, either on the local TV or our local newspaper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back