LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Something tells me that my wife convincing me that owning a horse will work out much cheaper than all the riding lessons we pay for may work in my favour in the long run, all i can say is Carthago here we come (in my dreams).

So now i need to learn how drive a horse, although i don't think this one is automatic but more fully manual, even needs feeding apparently although i'm informed that my support is required in the post-eating part of the processo_O

Stables sorted yesterday just down the road and need to borrow a horse box (years since i boxed a horse) and then the fun starts.

When the lady selling the horse said the horse was 150cm it was a moment when i realised that this was the one measurement that i just couldn't switch over to metric and had to measure her by "hand", then things made much more sense:giggle: (14,3 by my reckoning)

Not had a horse for +20yrs so some remembering to do but i guess most things still work the same.

On a positive note there are 5 very excited ladies in the house at present, little do they know what's in store in a cold muddy Winter:censored:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In the very short time I rode a horse I found three faults...
1... they are not comfortable.
2...the brakes can be very unreliable.
3...steering is vague.

Think i'll just be responsible for charging it up, the driving bit is up to the girls.

Fallen off too many horses to know that they always stop well, just not always at the moment you may be expecting:LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fallen off too many horses to know that they always stop well, just not always at the moment you may be expecting:LOL:
First one I ever rode had no meaningful brakes.
Out with girlfriend, an experience rider, and she decided walking was too slow so ran off in front. Daft bloody thing I was on shot after her.
I reckon if I'd reached down and cut a leg off it would have limped after her.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In the very short time I rode a horse I found three faults...
1... they are not comfortable.
2...the brakes can be very unreliable.
3...steering is vague.
  1. agreed.(y)
  2. still can't find the brakes on ours!:unsure:
  3. ours doesn't seem to move fast enough to require steering capability!:crying:
  4. very cheap to run though.(y)
  5. more than can be said for the stable-girl right enough!:rolleyes:

1605880379211.png

Attachments

• 1605880340647.png
    1605880340647.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Dont know about 14.3 hands, but I bet its cost you an arm & a leg in sunny Switzerland. I nearly fainted at the cost of 2 sandwiches and 2 bottles of water a good few years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Think i'll just be responsible for charging it up, the driving bit is up to the girls.

Horses are what Tesla are trying to achieve, horses are self aware and have self determination. They are self driving and will often refuse dangerous manoeuvres. Just like EVโ€™s that take a little longer to fuel up. They are also very eco for the Enviroment and have powered many a flowerbed.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
And they stand on your feet. I can prove it, but it's not a pretty sight ๐Ÿ˜‚
Robert found that out when he looked after my horses because i'd just had a knee op.
He reckons he did a scream only a dog could hear.::bigsmile:
She was a big girl.
20190318_170407.jpg

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Something tells me that my wife convincing me that owning a horse will work out much cheaper than all the riding lessons we pay for may work in my favour in the long run, all i can say is Carthago here we come (in my dreams).

So now i need to learn how drive a horse, although i don't think this one is automatic but more fully manual, even needs feeding apparently although i'm informed that my support is required in the post-eating part of the processo_O

Stables sorted yesterday just down the road and need to borrow a horse box (years since i boxed a horse) and then the fun starts.

When the lady selling the horse said the horse was 150cm it was a moment when i realised that this was the one measurement that i just couldn't switch over to metric and had to measure her by "hand", then things made much more sense:giggle: (14,3 by my reckoning)

Not had a horse for +20yrs so some remembering to do but i guess most things still work the same.

On a positive note there are 5 very excited ladies in the house at present, little do they know what's in store in a cold muddy Winter:censored:
Yes didnโ€™t fall for the It will be cheaper owing a horse than riding lessons did you:ROFLMAO: My last horse - feed, hay, livery, insurance, shoes, standard vet bills, tack, rugs, worming, etc was more than a large mortgage per month. Thatโ€™s before you look at lessons ( you could still need a trainer, competition fees and rider outfits - is the family into matchy matchy?).

Well done - they will soon become one (ruler?) of the family (and yes I am jealous!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes didnโ€™t fall for the It will be cheaper owing a horse than riding lessons did you:ROFLMAO: My last horse - feed, hay, livery, insurance, shoes, standard vet bills, tack, rugs, worming, etc was more than a large mortgage per month. Thatโ€™s before you look at lessons ( you could still need a trainer, competition fees and rider outfits - is the family into matchy matchy?).

Well done - they will soon become one (ruler?) of the family (and yes I am jealous!

And then they'll all want to ride, so another horse may be needed and didn't you say 5 very excited ladies??

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp

this was my experience too! Massive money pit! however, they are amazing (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Something tells me that my wife convincing me that owning a horse will work out much cheaper than all the riding lessons we pay for may work in my favour in the long run...
The Gruppenfuhrer used to have a horse, from my recollection her horse was quite expensive both monetarily and in terms of the time commitment. I think youโ€™ve been done, but good luck with it! ;)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I worked with horses most of my working life, looked after Hunters in the Quorn country, got up at some ungodly hour to see to them, lugged bales and food, mucked out stables, groomed, โ€˜broken-inโ€™ youngsters and been chucked off for my troubles. Iโ€™ve shared, adopted and ridden horses.
They are fantastic creatures, but..... I wouldn't own one, now. They cost too much, stabling-we never bothered specially with a pony, feeding-more cost, farriers arenโ€™t cheap, insurance, vet fees, then the tack and rugs and paraphernalia involve and insurance on that.
Not only but also in the winter with rain, cold, windy weather, mud up to your armpits you have to go out and excercise the horse, then youโ€™ve got mucking out the stable, feeding, and of course getting all that mud etc off the horse, lovely in the good weather but a real chore in bad weather as the horse will still expect all his needs attending to!
Give me someone elses horse to ride, one that needs excercise when they canโ€™t do it and Iโ€™m happy!

Last edited:
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I started totting up how many horses I have owned over the years and stopped at 14, the most I had at one time was 8.
In other words, BRACE YOURSELF......๐Ÿด๐Ÿด๐Ÿด๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

In my defence I did work with horses for a while, BUT, it is a slippery slope.;)
But on the bright side, the ladies in your life will be happy.

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Donโ€™t whatever you do put the costs of horse ownership down on a spreadsheet! We lost my lovely horse in March, he was 28 years old and Iโ€™d had him for 20 years - he had been retired for two years. Horse ownership is wonderful, but unless you do all the work yourself and have your own land, it is very vey expensive, but they become part of the family ๐Ÿด

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I started totting up how many horses I have owned over the years and stopped at 14, the most I had at one time was 8.
In other words, BRACE YOURSELF......๐Ÿด๐Ÿด๐Ÿด๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

In my defence I did work with horses for a while, BUT, it is a slippery slope.;)
8! Flipping heck - did you manage to ever sleep!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

Can beat that Hazel I must have had at least 20 :eek:
Iโ€™m still involved as judge them at County level but wouldnโ€™t want to have any now too expensive to keep and too time consuming

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back