maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In the CAK Tanks brochure there is a built-in locker for operating a Honda generator (p90) Link Removed I was wondering if this might be a good way of making generators less anti-social? Has anyone got one of these installed? So far, I've only seen them advertised by CAK Tanks, nowhere else. Does anyone know of other similar operating lockers?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the suitcase gennies are so quiet no one can hear them anyway, at £500 plus I would thing anyone who could fit on could make one for a fraction of the price, after all its just a lockable box with air inlet and exhaust outlet. But then I could be wrong usually am.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Where did you get that price from Roger? I can't see it on the link?

Maz,
Each to their own, you have a lovely van, (saw it at Peterborough) was after one ourselves before we opted for second property.

So ask yourself what you would hope to achieve through having it? we have a generator (Honda of ocurse :winky:) and we use it quite a lot in the winter when away skiing, we also use it a little in the summer but not often, in fact rarely:RollEyes: when I think about it.

I would love an on board Genny, but, wouldn't have it as an add on, although I can see a lot of good in having one.
The box sounds like a really good idea as it';s simples to take it with you when and if you sell but also it makes storage and transportation easy and will keep any smells out the motorhome.

As Roger says though a lot of money for a tin box with a few holes in it, wish I was clever enough to make my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz,
Each to their own, you have a lovely van, (saw it at Peterborough) was after one ourselves before we opted for second property.

So ask yourself what you would hope to achieve through having it? we have a generator (Honda of ocurse :winky:) and we use it quite a lot in the winter when away skiing, we also use it a little in the summer but not often, in fact rarely:RollEyes: when I think about it.

Hi Haganap. At the P'boro show I spent quite a lot of time wandering around the trade stands trying to weigh up what would be the best way for me to back up my batteries and have access to 230v supply when away from EHU. Came to the conclusion (tho' I can probably be swayed away from it :winky:) that rather than pay for solar + inverter + extra battery(s) to allow for said inverter, I would probably be better off just going for a generator. I can put that to a number of uses and as I'll be fulltiming it also seems a good 'security blanket', especially for the colder months.

But I'm also aware of the anti-social aspect of using a generator, so thought this locker might be a good way of being more neighbour-friendly. But if it's a good idea, I'm a bit puzzled as to why I can't find anything like it other than in the CAK Tanks brochure. It would be useful to see what other versions exist (and their prices) - I agree the CAK Tanks one seems expensive but have nothing really to compare it to .....

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One of my long time dreams has been to have a push button, onboard generator.

I too looked at the CAK generator tray but as you still have to get out of the vehicle to start it and fuel it etc I decided against it. When using my (Kipor) genny I can place it under the Wagon (or Hymer)and run it there with it protected from rain.

If I owned the type of genny (Smudger has one) which has a remote starting button I would reconsider the CAK tray option...

When I started full timing the genny was high up my list of essential equipment. I needed the reassurance that I could charge up my vehicle battery had I left something on and flattened it... As time went on I started buying (bit by bit) my solar system. Even with four panels and three big leisure batteries I wouldn't be without my genny... A belt and braces man...

JJ

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If I owned the type of genny (Smudger has one) which has a remote starting button I would reconsider the CAK tray option...JJ

Hi JJ. What type of genny has Smudger got?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Will have to check that one Maz... My memory hard drive is faulty! I was going to buy it if Smudger didn't... It was pretty heavy though... He will be at Camarthan.

JJ

PS. I haven't seen another one since...

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Will have to check that one Maz... My memory hard drive is faulty! I was going to buy it if Smudger didn't... It was pretty heavy though... He will be at Camarthan.

JJ

PS. I haven't seen another one since...

Thanks for that JJ. I'm unlikely to be at Carmarthen tho' as I'm planning on working my way up to the northwest.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I do know of an onboard Generator for sale that has LPG conversion done, works perfect, think the owner wants £1150 for it, from memory it was a dometic one, top kit, little hours.

Pm me if interested and I will have a word for you.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do know of an onboard Generator for sale that has LPG conversion done, works perfect, think the owner wants £1150 for it, from memory it was a dometic one, top kit, little hours.

Pm me if interested and I will have a word for you.

PM on its way! :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Where did you get that price from Roger? I can't see it on the link?

As Roger says though a lot of money for a tin box with a few holes in it, wish I was clever enough to make my own.
no price on the link Paul but they do say around half the price of the generator (honda about a grand hence £500), could well be wrong and usually am, hee hee.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It's more around the £700 mark :Eeek: - but the price for their generators is on the high side as well.

Link Removed

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Maz
I don't know of any small gennys with electric start-------------on our de-mountable camper we have a 2.5 kw (small for RV's) button start, it will run everything on-board---very convenient for toaster/microwave etc-------BUT we don't run it for long periods-------for long running times we use our 1 kva Honda --it costs next to nothing to run, and is very light & small to carry/handle---OK it will not run air-con etc. but it will run TV etc. and charge battery.
If you want to get a box to keep one in, try Stuart at 'UK towbars Ltd.'--www.uk-towbars.net
He is REALLY good at doing anything with ally chequer-plate, and will make one offs to your request.
BTW----good to meet you at Peterborough :thumb::thumb:

Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz
I don't know of any small gennys with electric start-------------on our de-mountable camper we have a 2.5 kw (small for RV's) button start, it will run everything on-board---very convenient for toaster/microwave etc-------BUT we don't run it for long periods-------for long running times we use our 1 kva Honda --it costs next to nothing to run, and is very light & small to carry/handle---OK it will not run air-con etc. but it will run TV etc. and charge battery.
If you want to get a box to keep one in, try Stuart at 'UK towbars Ltd.'--www.uk-towbars.net
He is REALLY good at doing anything with ally chequer-plate, and will make one offs to your request.
BTW----good to meet you at Peterborough :thumb::thumb:

Nigel & Pamala

Hi Sundowners. Thank you for that info. I don't really know if I do want a box to operate it in - at £700+ I'm pretty sure I don't! Tho' it would be handy and hopefully maintain peaceful relations with any neighbours. :Smile:

I like the idea of Haganap's LPG generator but not sure how practicable it would be to run with the gas bottles I have (11+6kg). Don't want to have to drive off in search of LPG for genny when priority would be to keep gas for heating and cooking.

Good to meet you at P'boro too. I enjoyed doing your quiz - but forgot to hand in my answers! :Doh: See you at Alcester. :Smile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
genny sound proofed box

We have a Kipor genny and like most only run it when it won`t cause a disturbance for others, with that in mind I made a sound proof box out of marine ply, holes for air intake and exhasy outlet, lift up flap for controls and cables.
Works really well all you can hear when standing next to is is a dull throb.
Certainly not the most difficult of task that all but the most non practicable could fabricate easy. :thumb:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We have a Kipor genny and like most only run it when it won`t cause a disturbance for others, with that in mind I made a sound proof box out of marine ply, holes for air intake and exhasy outlet, lift up flap for controls and cables.
Works really well all you can hear when standing next to is is a dull throb.
Certainly not the most difficult of task that all but the most non practicable could fabricate easy. :thumb:

Sounds good but maybe bulky to carry around? Re my DIY skills - I am reasonably safe with a hammer, but probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an electric drill. ::bigsmile:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
One of my long time dreams has been to have a push button, onboard generator.

I too looked at the CAK generator tray but as you still have to get out of the vehicle to start it and fuel it etc I decided against it. When using my (Kipor) genny I can place it under the Wagon (or Hymer)and run it there with it protected from rain.

If I owned the type of genny (Smudger has one) which has a remote starting button I would reconsider the CAK tray option...

When I started full timing the genny was high up my list of essential equipment. I needed the reassurance that I could charge up my vehicle battery had I left something on and flattened it... As time went on I started buying (bit by bit) my solar system. Even with four panels and three big leisure batteries I wouldn't be without my genny... A belt and braces man...

JJ

Years ago (1989 I think) I had a 22ft motorhome on a Merc 408 4.6 tonne chassis that had a built in 3500w water cooled 4-stroke remote control Honda genny that would even run the A/C. In practice I hardly ever had the need to use it and even when I did it was only to make coffee in an espresso machine ! Like you I now have solar panels and a big battery bank, plus a Stirling battery-to-battery charger, and an inverter for the wife's hairdryer, the toaster (MUCH better than the virtually useless cooker grill) and the hand-held dust-buster vacuum. I've never wished for another genny ....and now make my espresso in one of those Italian pressure chamber gadgets on the gas hob :Smile:

Incidentally, as quiet as it was - no more noise that a modern car makes ticking over, being water cooled 4 stroke AND built in behind a service hatch - it nevertheless caused aggravation to ANY caravan owner nearer that 500 yards !! :whatthe: I reckon some of 'em use those WWII acoustic listening devices for hearing aids .... :RollEyes:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Like you I now have solar panels and a big battery bank, plus a Stirling battery-to-battery charger, and an inverter for the wife's hairdryer, the toaster (MUCH better than the virtually useless cooker grill) and the hand-held dust-buster vacuum. I've never wished for another genny ....and now make my espresso in one of those Italian pressure chamber gadgets on the gas hob :Smile:

Thing is, at the moment I have no solar panels or large battery bank. Fulltiming in winter, solar is unlikely to be a lot of help and a generator offers greater flexibility - but at the expense of upsetting the neighbours. Or at least, those without generators of their own. :RollEyes:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Maz
I think that if you are in North Europe during the winter you may find that stopping on CLs etc is better than free camping & relying on a genny, and when really cold I believe CHEAPER than LPG and fuel for genny ??? The Summer is totally different !!! There is a really good network of cheap campsites in UK and these are more secure/safe than free-camping----------
See you next weekend.
The most important thing with a genny---------stopping it getting stolen !!!!!!:Blush::Blush:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz
I think that if you are in North Europe during the winter you may find that stopping on CLs etc is better than free camping & relying on a genny, and when really cold I believe CHEAPER than LPG and fuel for genny ??? The Summer is totally different !!! There is a really good network of cheap campsites in UK and these are more secure/safe than free-camping----------
See you next weekend.
The most important thing with a genny---------stopping it getting stolen !!!!!!:Blush::Blush:
Nigel & Pamala

Hi Sundowners. Yes, I take your point about CLs - I'm planning on using them anyway tho' not always ones with hook-up. In winter, hook-up would be good but if there are a few vans parked up there might not be enough leccy to go round. Think a number of sites rely on diversity of demand.

I guess an operating locker for the genny might make it more secure?

I keep coming back to generator vs solar + inverter + all the gubbins. I've got neither at the moment, and don't really want to buy both. At the moment, a generator still seems the better option for me - either in a locker or out of it. ::bigsmile:

See you at Alcester! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back