What is your favourite cooking appliance? (1 Viewer)

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
In my ignorance, what is Mr D?, google says an American Comedian or a food delivery company?

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
From what I understand you start the cooking as a normal slow cooker but then take off heat and it cooks in its own juices all day. Looks good but expensive and heavy.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Looks to be a bit too fiddly for me, I’ll stick to the Remoska when on hook up and slow cooker (80w) which I can run off my inverter when off grid!

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
When we go full time, my first thought was a gas oven, but I guess that would be heavy and takes up valuable storage space.

I then thought "halogen oven", but now I think I'll just use our tried and trusted pressure cooker. Can do most things in it (stews, curries, roasts, reheating, defrosting, baking ...) and can double up as a large saucepan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Me - Mrs Clark says I'm a great cook so leaves most of it to me!!

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I have tried several appliances but nothing earns its space, at least for my current lifestyle. Even the oven only earns its space because it holds a lot of stuff as a cupboard. Your ideas may vary, I don't eat bread and therefore don't eat pizza, or toasted cheese. I don't have much use for a microwave, even when I was living in a house I eventually got rid of it, preferring to regain the space.

I still have an electric steamer but that is a hangover from a few months In a house with a medical condition. I had a slow cooker years ago when I was working, and it was wonderful then.
Steaming veg? Yes, I have a small steamer basket for the medium saucepan, and a large basket for the large saucepan.
Steaming dried beans? Life is too short and tinned/frozen beans are cheap.
Slow cooking? I have an enamelled cast iron pot, that does fine since I no longer have to set it up and run it all day while out at work, as I used to do with the slow cooker. An add-on simmer plate cuts the intensity of the gas heat.
Remoska and Cadac sound tempting as gadgets but I have an impression that they are not quite the real thing, being more like baking with some burning on the outside. Something g similar applies to the Foreman Grill, it is basically steaming with searing. Nothing wrong with that if you like it, or need the low-fat, but I don't.
I do have a barbecue, and I love it. It is charcoal (or wood), not gas or electric, because if I am going to barbecue, I want to barbecue, not just grill. I can slow-barbecue covered in it, as well as grill really hot as only a barbecue can.

I suppose that the one special item that I really like is small - a cast-iron griddle with ridges. Has to be iron, aluminium is too light. It can simulate a barbecued steak, cook liver more slowly, and "grill" aubergine slices with no oil at all - almost a miracle because if you fry aubergine in olive oil it is so greedy that it will soak up olive oil from adjoining universes. The griddle cooks it tender without turning mushy, grilled on the outside, and light.

So all in all a useless answer for people looking for good ideas, sorry! Well maybe not useless - a stove, good pots, skill and a little extra time sometimes will produce better results IMHO and free up some very valuable space.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
On EHU-
I’m a fan of my Remoska which will cook cakes, bake bread, roast meats, reheat anything in fact if anything needs an oven at a temp of around 150° to 200° the Remoska will handle it!
My Slow Cooker will dry roast any joint or whole Chicken, stews are lovely in the winter.

Off EHU-(we don’t carry the Remoska & slow pot)
Ridge Monkey (the real one) will cook bacon, steaks, chops, burgers to perfection without splatter, it will revive stale bread, fry Eggs, warm naans.....etc.
Heavy deep sided fry-pan copes with just about anything, ’stove top roasted potatoes’....yummy!
Gas oven will do everything a gas oven does.
Tried all sorts of BBQs but we’re not a BBQ fan!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Cadac, the only proper camping/touring BBQ on the market!

:reel:
Lotus for us as the best we have used, totally charcoal but uses a tiny amount of it so no lugging heavy bags around. Also no heat loss sides of bottom so you can use it on a table (outside) or on the grass without issues. With the additional hood works even better.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
My Wok 😜

BB00EE29-932D-4F38-A329-A247C0051981.jpeg

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Funny, I bought a wok after a trip to south east Asia, when I saw how they could do anything with it, but I used it so infrequently, or used it merely like any other frying pan, that I now don't carry it any more. But I cook on gas so a good quality multilayer stainless steel frying pan will do even a stir fry. Again I have thought of an electric ring too, but it would take up space, be less efficient than gas, only be of use with EHU, and even then just to save pennies on the gas.

Looks like I am destined to be the spoilsport on this thread.

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
The wife swears by her halogen oven, and produces some great food. The main downside is that I have to wear sunglasses and swear at it :cool:

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
This little beastie.
Was researching a compact BBQ and realised I had an old builders bucket in the shed, bit of drilling and basic metalwork later, voila, cost zero, sits inside a bucket in the boot and she works a treat...
Bucket BBQ.jpg

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Deleted post as it had already been posted in another thread by Wombles - apologies.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Wombles! Thanks for your reply - really sorry as I hadn’t spotted your other thread. I’ve just deleted the contents of my post. 🙂
No worries & no need to delete anything - it's better to have something posted multiple times if it saves Funsters money! (y) I only posted here so anyone considering this knew about the voucher offer too & so that any other details that other posts on that thread by faraway would get seen too.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our latest appliance in the kitchen department is a small slow cooker. We have only used it a couple of times because we have mostly been off grid on our trips this year. It is nice to come back in the evenings to a ready cooked meal.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The photo shows an indispensable part of our kitchen.
Their original use was as containers to make large custard pies that I started to make in 1964 when I started in my M and D's bakery.
The tins were old then.

When I married the current Mrs Emmit in 1972 (having left the business the previous year) the tins came with me.
To my certain knowledge, they have Never been washed.

The current Mrs Emmit makes Yorkshire puddings in them and has for the past 48yrs.
IMG_20201114_215050.jpg

DougJohnson

Free Member
Nov 18, 2020
NY
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Our latest appliance in the kitchen department is a small slow cooker. We have only used it a couple of times because we have mostly been off grid on our trips this year. It is nice to come back in the evenings to a ready cooked meal.
I also prefer a multicooker but with a large volume (since I have a big family). I believe that this is the best option in fact. I still had one question about smells. Our standard over-the-counter ventilation didn't do it well, but I added an extra air purifier nearby and the situation improved. I also have a compact barbecue but I don't usually use it indoors, only outdoors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back