France.as good as you said it was. (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You were all dead right about France being expensive .wow. fish and chips.12.50 euro.gona be eating in a lot 2fried eggs!!!6 euro. But its nice and hot here and Tez loves driving on the right. I am going to have a go too as the road are good here as you all said. Vive la France!!!!! Love her here. Just wish I knew some lingo.have to brush up on that. Bon.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Glad you are enjoying it over there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> France.as good as you said it was.

Would we lie to you !

Keep going, you'll find it's *better* than we said.

Stock up in the next hypermarche with fuel and food and that will ease the costs.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You're in France - and you're eating fish-n-chips.........?

Zoot alors.....:Doh:

We went to a supermarche last year, and by spending enough money, we were given a huge canvas bag to carry our shopping. It is a thing of great usefullness, because it has clips that allow it to sit fully opened in the trolley, so when you come to pack up all your provisions, they all get bunged in one huge bag rather than lots of little plastic bags, which I hate 'cos SWMBO saves them all.....:Doh:

Can't remember tha name of the supermarche, but the bag is grey, and has a U on the side graphic.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Love France and the food,but, the difference in prices is minimal, at one time there was a big difference... No more,,,

That will not put me off going there,,,

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You're in France - and you're eating fish-n-chips.........?

Zoot alors.....:Doh:

We went to a supermarche last year, and by spending enough money, we were given a huge canvas bag to carry our shopping. It is a thing of great usefullness, because it has clips that allow it to sit fully opened in the trolley, so when you come to pack up all your provisions, they all get bunged in one huge bag rather than lots of little plastic bags, which I hate 'cos SWMBO saves them all.....:Doh:

Can't remember tha name of the supermarche, but the bag is grey, and has a U on the side graphic.

Unico or SuperU (same thing but huger)

Frankie:winky:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
We are off to France (Brittany) at the end of the month for 6 weeks or so, and with fuel costs removed (a holiday does have to cost something, after all) we expect to spend less than we would at home. Always a free stop on an aire, shopping at a Supermarche, and cheap drink, lead to a very inexpensive holiday. We even got our channel tunnel tickets free with Tesco points.

I cant wait for my fix of sun and the beautiful traffic free roads!!

Je adore Francais!!

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Didnt buy any.just noticed the price. We have just shopped in Carrefour where prices are not too bad. No fresh milk though.all UHT. Yuk oh well have to get used to that I suppose. We ares in Licques on the way to st omar on the morning. A marked difference in the::bigsmile: heat here too.even though we are not too far down yet. All the food look delicious in the hypermarket. Diesel 1.36 a litre. Thought it would be cheaper than that over here but say la ve. LOL

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Didnt buy any.just noticed the price. We have just shopped in Carrefour where prices are not too bad. No fresh milk though.all UHT. Yuk oh well have to get used to that I suppose. We ares in Licques on the way to st omar on the morning. A marked difference in the::bigsmile: heat here too.even though we are not too far down yet. All the food look delicious in the hypermarket. Diesel 1.36 a litre. Thought it would be cheaper than that over here but say la ve. LOL

Hi,

If you are in St Omer, on the south side of the town you will find the equivalent of a retail park. There is a huge Auchan hypermarket there. They have a massive choice of fresh foods and the prices are ok. You can also get fresh milk there, it's either on the first or 2nd aisle after the fresh meats and fish counters, looking to your right as you look at the back of the store.It's in plastic bottles, red for whole milk, blue for semi, and they only normally have small quantities of it as UHT is the norm.
Diesel should also be cheaper there at the Auchan petrol station near to the store.

After that go into the main square in St Omer, and sit out and have a drink or a meal at one of the many bars and restaurants there.:thumb::thumb:

I used to live on the edge of St Omer at St Martin au Laert. Wish I still did...:cry::cry:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Callumna. All taken on board.look forward to that.Haven't eaten out yet we stocked up on loads before we came.won't last the 2 months we are here though but will look forward to sampling some nice different foods. Definitely won't be trying frogs legs though.or oysters. Elk post more as we go on. Have 25gb to use every day on my smart phone. Goes quite a long way on that. Had the Vodafone data traveller for £10 a month.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks Callumna. All taken on board.look forward to that.Haven't eaten out yet we stocked up on loads before we came.won't last the 2 months we are here though but will look forward to sampling some nice different foods. Definitely won't be trying frogs legs though.or oysters. Elk post more as we go on. Have 25gb to use every day on my smart phone. Goes quite a long way on that. Had the Vodafone data traveller for £10 a month.

Hi T&T,

You have got to try some escargot...... snails in garlic butter, wonderful as a starter, delicious, especially dipping some lovely fresh french bread into the garlic butter to mop it up....::bigsmile:

When in Rome (or France) and all that.......:thumb:

Enjoy, wish i was there.......:Cool:

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Picking up on the point about learning the lingo, is anyone out there currently learning French? As we all agree on what a wonderful country for motor-homers it is, perhaps we should have some kind of forum for learning the language? I am currently learning with OU but what I really need is to start using my (limited) knowledge in anger!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Picking up on the point about learning the lingo, is anyone out there currently learning French? As we all agree on what a wonderful country for motor-homers it is, perhaps we should have some kind of forum for learning the language? I am currently learning with OU but what I really need is to start using my (limited) knowledge in anger!

Meanwhile have a go there "french language lessons". here on FUN... the audio links don't work anymore as i stopped quite a time ago and they need to be active at least once a month .... had prob with my job and had to stop the lessons.

I'm still available for those who want to have french conversations in chatroom as we have a video working fine!!!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

PS: using your french in anger is ok .... but keep in mind the french person in front of you wil talk the same way BUT you won't get what is said LOL

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi there!

Just look at the tool bar , just under the name "motorhomeFUN"
There's HOME then NEW POST then SEARCH
Enter in SEARCH "french language lessons" and you'll find the thread. The lessons begin i think at page 6 or 7can't remember now!

I suppose it is the right moment to say .... Enjoy yourself !!:roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Merci Frankie.Makes me want to learn the language I must say.Have bought a phrase book that helps a lot.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi enjoy yourself

If you go to your public library you can hire an 8 cd french course for 3 weeks for £4, then put them onto your laptop/computer and then onto your i pod or whatever else and walk around with it and learn subliminaly. Good luck. Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back