What do you think - your opinion counts ! (1 Viewer)

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi All
Hubby & I are moving shortly and our new home is on a large plot, ideal for a CL.

I am thinking of running 4/5 Boarding Kennels near too, but not on top of the CL for guest who may wish to get out for the day/evening without the doggies in tow.

Does this sound like something that might work?

Am also thinking about using our own Motorhome for 'taster weekends' for people maybe who dream of the freedom of owning a Motorhome, but have never stayed in one. So a real first time hands on experience.

Your thoughts on that idea please.

I would add that I would not board dogs whilst people were using the CL, this is just for guest use.

I would realy appreciate your Feedback and look forward to hearing your views and comments.

Suzanne

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Sounds like a good idea to me.
l am sure many people would love to try motorhome living before buying or even renting. And with experience on hand even better.
l don't own a dog, but l think a kennel service would be an attraction for some owners too.
l wish you well in your venture, l think it would work.

Craig

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
sounds good

Sounds a really good idea.........the success will depend on the execution
and detail and impletmentation of course. But its a good combination.

Just put the kennels far enough away from the cl so any barking doesnt drive people nuts :)

good luck .....

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Thanks guys, I've been thinking this through for some time.

We have a particularly highly strung 13 year old Vizsla who howls the place down if she is left for more than a minute in our Motorhome, (she's fine at home!! ) so it makes it very difficult for us to get out and about because:-

a, she's just too old to walk all day
b, if we drive to a pub for a meal we can expect the howling.

We have resorted to sedatives, but this is not ideal. I know she settles well in kennels as its all a new experience for her !!

So my thoughts are along the lines that sometimes, it's a bonus to get out for the day without the dog/s and be safe in the knowledge that they are being cared for.

Suzanne

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Remember your choices!

There are 14 clubs listed with the ability to exempt sites, including MHFun.

You are not tied to just the big two or MCC.

CC & C&CC require membership, so your taster idea would not work very well with them.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have a dog and think the kennel idea is great, that is the only reason we dont take Toby abroad as we dont want to leave him in the mh to long but if they had kennels he would be with us for every holiday.

The idea about the mh is good but if its just to try it out on site it would just be as well to stick a caravan on site as mh is about freedom and moving around, but still a great idea.

So now you need to tell us where you are so we can book a night and leave Toby with you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must agree kennels would be a great idea, as there are times when it would be handy to leave dogs.
Friends of ours where going to set up a B&B with kennels attached for the same reason, but unfortunately when nearly complete due to family problems they had to abandon the idea.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Can only comment on the taster weekend for the van, don t bother, your pride and joy being slept in, showered in.................................

Not a problem for us our hire vans are hire vans, no personal interest and there to do a specific job.

Apart from that you need insurance, not worth the expense and bother

Peter

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Kennels are a great idea especially when you want o go out,maybe for a posh meal. We have been tied to doing posh cooking in the van and eating out,really out at pubs with beer gardens.
As for the try out,I agree about using your own van. Why not strike a deal with a local hire company or dealer.
Good luck you are living my dream!!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Sounds like a great idea, our dog is a total pain as we can't leave him alone in the house or the van kennels is fine, and I'm sure a lot of others have the same problem.
I say go for it as it sounds a winner :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Best of luck sounds like the dog kennel idea would work well for guests

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hey All

A big thankyou for all the positive comments.

It certainly seems like there is a demand for good quality kennels in partnership with a good quality CL/CC.

Next question:-

What would you be prepared to pay...............?

CL/CC would offer pretty quiet setting, walking distance to three local pubs situated in a very pretty village, Tea Rooms etc., Duck Pond.

Toilet and seperate shower on site.

Office with information/library/local produce/honesty box.

Am thinking about doing walking weekends too, as the surrounding coutryside is too pretty to miss.

Am loving your Feedback, keep it coming..........................

Suzanne

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hey All

A big thankyou for all the positive comments.

It certainly seems like there is a demand for good quality kennels in partnership with a good quality CL/CC.

Next question:-

What would you be prepared to pay...............?

CL/CC would offer pretty quiet setting, walking distance to three local pubs situated in a very pretty village, Tea Rooms etc., Duck Pond.

Toilet and separate shower on site.

Office with information/library/local produce/honesty box.

Am thinking about doing walking weekends too, as the surrounding countryside is too pretty to miss.

Am loving your Feedback, keep it coming..........................

Suzanne

Some of the all singing all dancing CL sites that are within walking distance of pubs or attractions charge a premium, perhaps £15 a night but I don't stay on them. I tend to look for a CL out of the way without hookup for perhaps a fiver.

Now before everyone starts calling me tight the main reason is they tend to be in quieter rural areas away from it all which is what we prefer. We have a scooter so it suits us fine.

If I'm looking for a hookup CL I expect to pay between £8 and £12. Some are cheaper some are more.

I hope you get it off the ground. I would love to do something like that.

Good luck

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Some of the all singing all dancing CL sites that are within walking distance of pubs or attractions charge a premium, perhaps £15 a night but I don't stay on them. I tend to look for a CL out of the way without hookup for perhaps a fiver.

Now before everyone starts calling me tight the main reason is they tend to be in quieter rural areas away from it all which is what we prefer. We have a scooter so it suits us fine.

If I'm looking for a hookup CL I expect to pay between £8 and £12. Some are cheaper some are more.

I hope you get it off the ground. I would love to do something like that.

Good luck

We usually pay £10 per night. One site we use had to install pay meters for electricity as users were wasting power. This cost £25 for a new meter or £15 for a recon. The meter fits in the box in the same way as a trip. He sells cards at £3, £5, or £10. @ 14p Kwh.

One van used £5 of electric in one night.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

With good facilities £12 to £15 per night but as previous poster stated some people can use electric at an alarming rate. I have seen large fan or radiant heaters being used to heat awnings all evening, or even dry them prior to packing, so this has to be watched, or it will soon eat a hole in profits.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
A new CL is always a good thing for us, you can never have too many.

I imagine it will be tough work though as when you would like to be away in your MH, you will have to stay home as your CL will be prob be full at the same time :Doh:

I would think long and hard before I let strangers stay in my MH though...:Eeek:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi

With good facilities £12 to £15 per night but as previous poster stated some people can use electric at an alarming rate. I have seen large fan or radiant heaters being used to heat awnings all evening, or even dry them prior to packing, so this has to be watched, or it will soon eat a hole in profits.

The site owner I quoted, noted radiant heaters being left on in awnings 24/7 during their visit. They had them on during the day even with the awning doors open.

The attitude was we have paid for the electricity, its in with the fee.

When he put the meter in another van user even disconnected from the post when he was not in the van.

Another guy turned up without even a gas bottle expecting to run everything on electricity. After 1 night he went out and got a bottle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi All
Hubby & I are moving shortly and our new home is on a large plot, ideal for a CL.

I am thinking of running 4/5 Boarding Kennels near too, but not on top of the CL for guest who may wish to get out for the day/evening without the doggies in tow.

Does this sound like something that might work?

Am also thinking about using our own Motorhome for 'taster weekends' for people maybe who dream of the freedom of owning a Motorhome, but have never stayed in one. So a real first time hands on experience.

Your thoughts on that idea please.

I would add that I would not board dogs whilst people were using the CL, this is just for guest use.

I would realy appreciate your Feedback and look forward to hearing your views and comments.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne ...

I agree with most of the comments .... especially about hiring out your pride and joy .. :thumbdown:

First question... why do you want a CL ... if it is to make money .. forget it, at best may just break even or make a small profit , many make a loss .. Five vans is just not enough to make a decent profit.

Have you established the cost of setting it up and the pay back time.. , water , sewage and electrical supplies, access road and if you want all year use, hard standings ..

We also have friends with a CL, they recently installing card meters for leccy as they had huge electric bills which left them in the red, so meters are the best way to go..
Have you considered who will caretake for you when you go away ..

Sorry if this all sounds negative.. if you are doing it for a hobby, can afford the set up costs, love dealing with Joe Pedantic Public, and not expecting a profit ... go for it ..

Better with a flock of free range chickens... they don't complain so much and don't use leccy :roflmto:

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Thanks again all for your comments and feedback, very much appreciated !!

Having pondered on some of the replies, I must admit I hadn't thought of the abuse of electric (as we never abuse it ourselves), however I take the point that some do and it seems that Key card electric is probably the way to go or could vary the tariff for electric and non electric which seems fairer to non electric users.

We have recently retired at a fairly young age after owning and running our business for 17 years (yes it involved dealing with Joe Public). We stilll own the business but now have a GM running it for us.

So the idea of a CL with kennels attached is very much from a hobby point of view. The new property is pretty much ready to go save for electric and the refurbishment of toilet and shower. Access is also very good. Kennels are also insitu although in need of a refurb.

Initial outlay therefore is minimal, although wholly dependant on the views of the CC or C & C Club representatives when they visit the site. We have an open mind as to which club to tie ourselves to.

As for profit, well, it would be nice to see a commercial reward for our efforts but realy its about us interacting with like minded people.

Regarding the taster weekends, I can't see how much damage can be done on a two night stay, especially as we woulld be on site and of course we would apply a large excess.

Keep your views coming.

I think that as we progress, I'll do a sort of blog on here to update you all, then reveal where we are and look forward to being fully booked for a while:ROFLMAO: Suzanne

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I do wish people would be more considerate when using EHU on a CL. The attitude that "Ive paid for it so Im going to use it!" is wrong IMO. As other's have said these CL's are not really there to make huge profits but provide an essential low cost alternitive which I happen to love to campsites.

One solution I think would be to put in a low ampage (if you are going to have EHU), perhaps 6amps with an trip switch on each post so they can be reset by the user. This is more than enough for charging batteries, lighting or watching TV which is pretty much all we need. I would like to see more CL sites offer the option of a pitch with or without hookup.

I have seen this on a couple of occasions. The argument is that people will just pay the without hookup and then dishonestly hookup. I would like to think this sort of customer would be few and far between and as there are only 5 vans it should be easy to keep an eye on them.

ellabella

Free Member
Mar 29, 2011
llandudno. North Wales
Funster No
MH
hymer Swift 544
Exp
1 year
Dogs

Hello, I think it is a great idea, as we could leave the dogs with you if we are going out for the day, and do not want to leave them in the motorhome. When and where please keep us informed. Good luck with yur adventure.

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi All

Quick update.............love the idea of 6amp, hadn't thought of that, thankyou.

All moving forward at a snails pace as only can happen when we are in such an obviously bouyant property market !!! NOT.

Solicitor almost preened when she told me searches are only taking two weeks at the moment........................gosh wouldn't want to overstretch anyone would we !!!

Have got the forms from C & C club, like the idea of applying as we could use orchard for camping only and is away from main camping area.

Looks likely we will move mid to end June, with the idea of start up April 2012, gives us a chance to organise webiste etc.,

Will keep you all posted, meantime, off to Houghton Mill in the morning till Saturday, us and the two dogs..............................now where can I leave them if we want to go out for a romantic evening stroll and a meal !!!

Suzanne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds an excellent idea but i can only second Peter's comments on 'taster' weekends.

would you allow strangers to live in your house ?

wear and tear is one thing but what other damage may be caused by folks who know nothing of the workings of a motorhome.

folks arent as careful with other peoples property as they are with their own.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I do wish people would be more considerate when using EHU on a CL. The attitude that "Ive paid for it so Im going to use it!" is wrong IMO. As other's have said these CL's are not really there to make huge profits but provide an essential low cost alternitive which I happen to love to campsites.

One solution I think would be to put in a low ampage (if you are going to have EHU), perhaps 6amps with an trip switch on each post so they can be reset by the user. This is more than enough for charging batteries, lighting or watching TV which is pretty much all we need. I would like to see more CL sites offer the option of a pitch with or without hookup.

I have seen this on a couple of occasions. The argument is that people will just pay the without hookup and then dishonestly hookup. I would like to think this sort of customer would be few and far between and as there are only 5 vans it should be easy to keep an eye on them.

easy solution....individual hookup points in locked cabinets/enclosures, only unlocked, and left unlocked for the duration of stay, when the fee has been paid.

the enclosure could be a 150mm x 150mm plastic electrical box with the hookup socket integrated....a bit more installation cost but worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
Cannons

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
We are are on our way !! 2 weeks and 6 days to move day...............then the fun will begin.

I have the paperwork from C & C Club as Orchard can be used for camping.

Will keep you all posted once we've moved as to progress of CL, refurb of holiday cottage, toilets, shower etc., and of course the all important kennels.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Remember your choices!

There are 14 clubs listed with the ability to exempt sites, including MHFun.

You are not tied to just the big two or MCC.

CC & C&CC require membership, so your taster idea would not work very well with them.

the MCC is the ONLY one that does not require membership to use the site.
That is a condition of having the site licence granted. Some how the MCC managed to skirt around it before it was set in stone.

As a dog owner I appreciate what you are trying to do with the kennels, however it would put me off as dogs in kennels bark endlessly and no matter how often they are cleaned the kennel area does stink of urine. Dogs kept in the van are ahome and usually quiet. so good luck but do remember it does have downsides as well as plusses.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As a dog owner I appreciate what you are trying to do with the kennels, however it would put me off as dogs in kennels bark endlessly and no matter how often they are cleaned the kennel area does stink of urine.

Sorry to upset the dream, BUT, Wildman has said it for me! Dogs barking endlessly while Owners away is a no no for me, it happened to us in Wales, we complained ,you only had to walk past the Caravan and you were subjected to 30 minutes of Bark Bark Bark, got our money back after threatening to call the Local Enviroment Agency, Sorry Mate! Dogs in Kennels, Owners absent =NOISE!:Sad:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As a dog owner I appreciate what you are trying to do with the kennels, however it would put me off as dogs in kennels bark endlessly and no matter how often they are cleaned the kennel area does stink of urine.

Sorry to upset the dream, BUT, Wildman has said it for me! Dogs barking endlessly while Owners away is a no no for me, it happened to us in Wales, we complained ,you only had to walk past the Caravan and you were subjected to 30 minutes of Bark Bark Bark, got our money back after threatening to call the Local Enviroment Agency, Sorry Mate! Dogs in Kennels, Owners absent =NOISE!:Sad:

I have to say I'm with these posters on this one. Many times have had dogs with absent owners spoil our quiet afternoon.

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
I think the whole idea is great, when can we come??? Where are you??:thumb:

6amp electric could be an option like in Europe and would limit the abusers as the system would trip so you could keep an eye on things maybe?

Boarding & day kennels are great, we have 2 dogs and 2 primary school age children and often need to be able to day kennel the dogs so we can take the children swimming or out to a non dog place. - (One dog is too old to be kennelled for the whole holiday, hence taking them with us)

As fairly recent converts from being tuggers I also think that subject to adequate insurance & deposits etc the idea of a taster in your motorhome is good too as its a huge expense to but one even if moving up from a caravan and lots of people end up making expensive mistakes by buying wrong layouts or even not getting on with driving a M/H as they don't have a car to get out and about in - yes I know all about "Toads" but again they don't suit everyone.

I guess at the end of the day if you want to and can do it then go for it - Nothing is impossible until it is!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back