Best route planner App for cycling routes (1 Viewer)

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Mapout is a paid iPad & iPhone app that is very good - one off cost and no subscription. The maps are excellent and it’s very easy to draw routes with your finger - it follows footpaths and roads.

I like Ride with GPS but you need to sub to save routes. Mapout exports GPXes which I load to my wahoo. Have a look on the website, there’s a good demo.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Mapout shows the national cycle paths too.

E478AFDF-EAD5-4C63-97E8-EF71CAC6E96A.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
from a post above https://cycle.travel/map has routing & a gpx export for free.
I’ve only looked due to that post and haven’t used it for my own routing.

edit: and will route on bridle paths 👍🏻
619BF091-37FA-46E0-9B12-3229B8409AE9.png

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
But not the bridleways.
Phil

Yes it does? It’s open street map, so as good as they are. Not OS maps, but the ease of drawing a route makes it better to use. I have definitely routed on footpaths for my walks.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
It really depends on what type of riding you wish to do. I use Komoot which can also find some really good off-road routes and is easy to use. It is a bit like a satnav for bikes but does use a lot of phone battery power. For long rides I have a backup battery pack. You can input your wishes regarding type of terrain you wish to ride from roads to off-road and your bike type and fitness. I tried Strava but didn’t get on with it.
I use Google maps in conjunction with Komoot as a check on a proposed route. This helps to avoid ending up on a near vertical downhill rock strewn track on an electric hybrid bike. It was fun but at the time I really wished for a full suspension mtb with fatty tyres!!!
Enjoy your rides.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Been looking this am at many of these, and as others have said, no one does all. Komoot is good, very easy to use, and works as a bike satnav, but isn’t the best for planning, or getting more off road routes. Memory-Map is great for detail, is old fashioned and clunky in use, but I can make it produce the route I want, although takes time.
Its interesting getting three or four of the apps open in area you know and comparing what info they have. Some show none of the routes that I know are there.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you have access to a PC?
For UK walking & cycling I’ve used <Broken link removed>’s OS maps for years. Occasionally I look at other routing programs but not for long.

If there’s a route on Strava I’d like, I’d export it as a gpx file and edit it in MM.
Then export from MM to my GPSr
They support other operating systems it Windows is what I’ve done 99.9% of my use.
Oh! There was a broken link edit. 🤔
Maybe the url became Broken Link Removed
Or was it a link to memory map 🤪 it is an old thread…

And ride with GPS is popular, as said before by 1 or 2 👀👍🏻

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Mappy CZ free satnav off the google and apple stores, shows bike routes and walking routes.
And you can download maps for the whole of Europe (for free) so they can be displayed, even if no internet available. Saved our bacon on several occasions.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Today I have used "Where's the Path 3" an OS mapping app for cyclists.
I swipe though the route and take a screenshot of any difficult bits and they are in my pocket if needed.
But the best bit is getting lost and finding new paths.
Phil
After 2 years of using Komoot I find it's not so much fun getting lost 🤣🤣🤣
Having to cross dual carriageways, lift heavy bikes over stiles, lock gates, fields full of cows! or just seeing signs saying 'private - no entry' can be quite a pain!!

Attachments

• 20221105_114252.jpg
    20221105_114252.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I use a combination of the Apps above with my phone but I've had the best overall experience with my Garmin Touring. You select "On" or "Off" road and the distance and it provides you with a number of different routes around that distance with details of the elevation. You select 1 and it then gives you turn by tun directions. I've used this all over Europe and it's taken me to some great off the beaten track places I wouldn't typically have got to.

Plenty available 2nd hand

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I'm a Plotaroute user..... I pay the premium sub as I use it all year, Premium gives you OS overlay maps so you don't need OS maps if you don't want to. Once you have planned the route, you can either view on your mobile and also download in many formats....including pdf for those who don't use mobiles or gps units... You can also import already planned routes too.....

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have used Garmin products a lot but bought an e-bike a couple of years ago which has a Bosch Nyon device. It's not cheap but it is very good and designed for cycling. Better still, it's just as good if you wander abroad. There are POI on it which you can call-up if required: I gat caught in a downpour so asked for a restaurant and was offered various grades at different distances. selected the nearest, which turned-out to be great (warm & dry) and worth the cost just for that.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have used Garmin products a lot but bought an e-bike a couple of years ago which has a Bosch Nyon device. It's not cheap but it is very good and designed for cycling. Better still, it's just as good if you wander abroad. There are POI on it which you can call-up if required: I gat caught in a downpour so asked for a restaurant and was offered various grades at different distances. selected the nearest, which turned-out to be great (warm & dry) and worth the cost just for that.
This thread originated in 2020...nice to read all the past posts...one of which I put on..😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back