Importing Motorhome from EU (Before 31/12/2020) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
€350 for one month, more than enough time to get some Km done, just hoping COVID restrictions permit travel and no snow would be good😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Agree with that one Michael, I will be driving very carefully, its all the others on the road though!
But at least most of it will be over the weekend and no HGV's on Sundays :)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Are you buying private or from dealer, some vehicles up to a few years old seem to be advertised by dealers with vat, is this because they still own the vehicle and maybe have hired them out. If you bought one of these and qualify under uk rules would the dealer not charge vat if you were bringing back to uk? have seen some even 4 years old where vat is quoted. Can’t think uk would re imburse in that case. Thanks for any information.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you buying private or from dealer, some vehicles up to a few years old seem to be advertised with vat, is this because they still own the vehicle and maybe have hired them out. If you bought one of these and qualify under uk rules would the dealer not charge vat if you were bringing back to uk? have seen some even 4 years old where vat is quoted. Can’t think uk would re imburse in that case. Thanks for any information.
Fairly standard for German dealers to quote net & gross prices. The VAT would only be on the dealer's profit on the S/H van.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Its being sold by a Hymer dealer, on behalf of their customer, who appears to be the local baker, I have his details, the German VAT was paid by him when he bought it in May this year. I have confirmed that I am not subject to any VAT charge by the dealer.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Fairly standard for German dealers to quote net & gross prices. The VAT would only be on the dealer's profit on the S/H van.
Some are quoting 21 % on 2nd hand in the price heading so can only think they claimed vat back when new and have to charge when selling . Probably only relevant if you are buying and vat registered yourself and putting through business ?

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I'm still going to try and get cover on the VIN number, if its possible, I'm currently with Comfort (expires on 6th Dec) so will be free to look elsewhere, which reminds me, Lenny if your reading this still, what the average cost of a replacement windscreen on a Hymer A class? Need to make sure thats included in policy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Some are quoting 21 % on 2nd hand in the price heading so can only think they claimed vat back when new and have to charge when selling . Probably only relevant if you are buying and vat registered yourself and putting through business ?
German VAT rate is 16% at the moment they reduced it when Covid kicked off.
On a S/H van VAT will still only be on the difference probably just their standard add speal they don't bother altering for S/H vans.
I'm still going to try and get cover on the VIN number, if its possible, I'm currently with Comfort (expires on 6th Dec) so will be free to look elsewhere, which reminds me, Lenny if your reading this still, what the average cost of a replacement windscreen on a Hymer A class? Need to make sure thats included in policy.
Had mine done a couple of months ago, the Autoglass paperwork showed the screen price from Travelworld as £2044 plus VAT that was just the screen no labour.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you look at a lot of the adds on Mobile.de loads of dealers didn't bother amending the vat rate as it's going back up next year. Hopefully the final price is correct.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
8FA3202F-A5EC-4395-9AB6-27055610C0F4.jpeg
S

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Sorry not good on links but this one 2014 and still quoting vat. (Not interested in this one by the way)

hope you don’t mind questions on your thread Westbarn 1 but hope still relevant.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Hope this might help.
I imported a new Hymer from Germany this year. Due to the lockdown I was unable to collect it myself, so it was transported to the UK on a lorry. All that went well.
The company I bought it from in Mülheim an der Ruhr, was not up to it, and there has been several problems, which I won't get into here and now.
I can strongly recommend a company in Milton Keynes, who sorted out all the UK paperwork, and they were very efficient and professional. The company is Ship My Car, SMC, which you can find on the internet.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
German VAT rate is 16% at the moment they reduced it when Covid kicked off.
On a S/H van VAT will still only be on the difference probably just their standard add speal they don't bother altering for S/H vans.

Had mine done a couple of months ago, the Autoglass paperwork showed the screen price from Travelworld as £2044 plus VAT that was just the screen no labour.

Thanks for the info Lenny, Just looked at my current Comfort cover, looks like they cover up to £3k, minus £75 excess.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Hello

I've imported UK spec vehicles, last one was a Carado from Durrwang in Dortmund in 2016, wrote about it in MMM December 2018. It was a doddle then, the biggest problem being DVLA that couldn't understand original CoC in Italian, or Converter CoC in German (Carado). Insisted on an English interpretation for: Dual Speedo MPH/KPH, Headlights pointing to left and UK standard foglight.
As I was informed by HMRC, the 6 months/6000km applies for pre-owned vehicles to be exempt from UK VAT.

As in the UK, if a vehicle classed as pre-owned, is purchased from a dealer, or an individual, selling through their VAT registered business, VAT is chargeable, but is not re-claimable when importing to UK, or exporting from UK. The rules are different with pre-owned.

If the purchaser imported the vehicle with less than 6000 KM on the clock HRMC would class it as new and levy UK VAT. I'm reasonably sure that the VAT charged on the NET price from the dealer, would be refundable just as a new vehicle. I've friend in the VAT office and happy to check it out for you.

As far as insurance goes, I used Scenic, a division of Swinton. The insured on the VIN and covered me for driving the unregistered motorhome from the ferry terminal car park in Rotterdam (where I picked it up from Durrwang's driver) onto the ferry and then off the ferry at Hull into the ferry terminal car park. It was then driven to our hard standing in Whitby, by the owner of the Nissan dealership that services our car, for the princely sum of £50.

What it will be like after 31 December is any one's guess, but I'm hoping to import another Carado T344, as soon as it's safe to do so and will wrote an article for MMM and this forum when I do. Feel free get in touch. I'm on facebook. Ken Hall Whitby.

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Just another point. If you import and register as new, the registration document will show the vehicle as new at first registration, even though it has been pre-owned. I think??

Ken

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Importing to UK must be a doddle compared with trying to get one's own RHD MH re-registered in Poland. at the moment the answer is NO! I do not know where I go from here.

Geoff

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Thanks for the info Ken will contact you if I have need, not on FB, but the Mrs is. :)

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Hi Geoff, Goodness, that's a brave task. Presumably you are moving to Poland. Sounds like an adventure. Is there any guidance or advice from the Polish authorities? I've ofter wondered if exporting a vehicle from the UK to say, Spain for ex-pats is (or was) as easy as importing to the UK. Ken

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry not good on links but this one 2014 and still quoting vat. (Not interested in this one by the way)

hope you don’t mind questions on your thread Westbarn 1 but hope still relevant.
May just be a marketing ploy to make the van look cheaper, would be interesting to approach the dealer and see what the reaction is when you say you are VAT registered.
Just looked up the EU VAT rules it says on S/H vehicles you "MAY" use the differential method so it's not compulsory but not one in their right mind wouldn't.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only 5 days for a temporary plate and third party insurance.
I was not offered more than that last month.
Temporary plates are not export plates. They are 2 different things.Export plate validity can be anything up to 12 months.

Temporary plates are usually used for shifting vehicles around the country.
This is the application link & actually states they only have validity in Germany. As does the insurance I would assume ?

https://www.service-bw.de/en/web/gu...temporary+vehicle+registration-399-leistung-0

https://gallivant.wemarsh.com/german-export-plates/

The OP needs to insure that he obtains Export plates.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If I remember right, the export plates / insurance was only 15 days and basic cover, so a bit of care in needed, we picked our motorhome up in March and previous to us collecting it they had snow, and the two days we was there sorting and checking everything was OK before leaving we had rain / sun and the day after we left they had snow again, 😁 luck was on our side. 😀 Bob.
I’ve just checked my two old sets of export plates and they both were valid fo three months so it’s possible to have longer period I suppose it’s up to you if you want them longer.
I did not ask for a longer validity the dealer arranged all that.👍😊

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This link shows differnce between export plates, 5day temporary plates & 1 day temporary plates. ot also shows periods of extended cover along with insurance prices.
It is an auto translate so hope it is ok?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff, Goodness, that's a brave task. Presumably you are moving to Poland. Sounds like an adventure. Is there any guidance or advice from the Polish authorities? I've ofter wondered if exporting a vehicle from the UK to say, Spain for ex-pats is (or was) as easy as importing to the UK. Ken

I have been in Poland for some time.

The Polish law and authorities are the one's saying NO, despite having lost a case at the ECJ on the subject.

The Polish government have announced that they are not going to follow the new certification rules (Regulation (EU) 2018/858) which came into effect on 1st Sept 2020. And they have announced that all RHD vehicles will not be able to be registered here at all.

They also have an import duty from any EU State of 18.4%.

Welcome to right-wing 'communism'

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back