Importing Motorhome from EU (Before 31/12/2020) (1 Viewer)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I appreciate this subject has been discussed before, but I only really have one issue (at the moment) that I have spotted and would welcome your help on.

Situation is I have found a Hymer I would like to buy in Germany, it is just over 6 months old and has had the German VAT paid on it by the first owner and the mileage on it is currently 3850 Km, which will obviously go up by the time it arrives in the UK (before 31/12/20, subject to Covid/travelling restrictions)

Looking at the GOV UK website IMPORTING VEHICLES INTO THE UK, it it says:
If you imported the vehicle from the EU
VAT is usually only charged on vehicles that are new. A vehicle is new if either:

• it’s been driven less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)
  • it’s been in use for no more than 6 months
AND

Looking at GOV UK website Guidance New means of transport (VAT Notice 728)
It says:

2.2 When a means of transport is not new

A motorised land vehicle is not new when more than 6 months have elapsed since the date of its first entry into service (see paragraph 2.3) and when it has travelled under its own power for more than 6,000 kilometres since its first entry into service.

The crucial difference between the two being "either/and" for me, as in the second statement I'm okay, as the vehicle is over 6 months old, but if its "and" then HMRC are presumably going to regard it as a 'new vehicle' even though the first owner ( a Baker, not a motorhome dealer) has already paid the German VAT

Anyone have any previous experience on this, as its keeping me awake and I'm thinking I might have to drive round it Germany for another 2150km, before I go through the tunnel and all before 31st December !

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
It's my understanding that VAT only has to be paid once, so even if you had to pay VAT in the UK then you would be able to claim back the German VAT.
Obviously the easiest way is to check with HMRC.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
It's my understanding that VAT only has to be paid once, so even if you had to pay VAT in the UK then you would be able to claim back the German VAT.
How would Westbarn1 do that as they did not pay the German VAT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I don’t think it would be very easy to claim back the German VAT through a private seller, we found it was very easy with a new vehicle ,through the dealer we used but had to pay UK VAT and send proof to dealer before we could reclaim from them.😊

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Yes, spoke to HMRC earlier, appears that needs to be 6 months old AND 6000 km on clock, regardless if VAT already paid by Previous German owner😕

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would if I were you give VAT office a call and ask what is required they were very helpful in our experience and if you gave them some details I’m sure they will put you right.😊🤞
Oh you’ve beat me to it well done
I would suggest getting the owner to put a few km on it before you collect it?🤔

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
p
I would if I were you give VAT office a call and ask what is required they were very helpful in our experience and if you gave them some details I’m sure they will put you right.😊🤞
Oh you’ve beat me to it well done
I would suggest getting the owner to put a few km on it before you collect it?🤔

Planning to do that myself!!!!😊

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Where about s in Germany are you collecting from? As we had to go to Dortmund which from our home is around 730 km each way so you would nearly be on 6000 km by the time you get back😊👍

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Frankfurt to/from Norwich

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If travelling restrictions are off and no one records the mileage when you enter the UK how will anyone know?. Its the opposite of the usual thing where people are clocking vehicles to reduce the mileage!

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Looks like going the long way home to rack up a few km otherwise it will cost you a few grand.
That’s what I was thinking Lenny, cross fingers for an easing of the restrictions on 2nd Dec and decent weather, but has all season tyres anyway!

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
If travelling restrictions are off and no one records the mileage when you enter the UK how will anyone know?. Its the opposite of the usual thing where people are clocking vehicles to reduce the mileage!
Thought about that one, but if stopped by HM customs on arrival in UK will make sure at least 6000km on clock!

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Gonna need to do it twice😬 have a good trip and get those miles on good luck and hope restrictions are lifted in time for you to do it👍🤞🤞🤞🤞
Thanks Alan👍

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Park up and jack it up and put it on axle stands, start it up and put it in top gear and clock a few miles before your return

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

That’s what I was thinking Lenny, cross fingers for an easing of the restrictions on 2nd Dec and decent weather, but has all season tyres anyway!

Just fudge the mileage, who’s going to check.

Will the vehicle need to be checked in the UK prior to registration by MOT/VOSA?

Will you have/need a NOVA certificate?

If so, you may want to reconsider any attempt at tax evasion......

Personally, I'd just put the miles on it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Frankfurt to Lyon to Bordeaux to Rouen to Norwich = 2442 . Bit extra so they can't complain.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Got friends in Bellac I’d like to visit, depends what the French COVID restrictions are after the 2nd, other than that I thought I’d visit Dachau Camp memorial site, anyone been?

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You might need to avail yourself of the restrictions in Germany. It's in partial lockdown, restrictions and quarantine regulations apply including hotels being closed to tourist.

I was going to Germany the day before our lockdown. But put my trip off because of so many unknowns,

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Sure I know that, but like us, it’s up for review after 2nd Dec, if it doesn’t work out will travel when I can

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'll give you a wave on the ferry :)
The dealer was happy for me to stay in the moho but the lockdown restricted my travel to see other vans. Plus the necessity to quarantine upon entry and get a test made it all too risky if I was stopped.
International Trains and Airports entry transport seem well locked down., but road transport borders very unclear.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If I remember right, the export plates / insurance was only 15 days and basic cover, so a bit of care in needed, we picked our motorhome up in March and previous to us collecting it they had snow, and the two days we was there sorting and checking everything was OK before leaving we had rain / sun and the day after we left they had snow again, 😁 luck was on our side. 😀 Bob.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Only 5 days for a temporary plate and third party insurance.
I was not offered more than that last month.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back