TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
OK, we're off to France next week (early morning ferry on Good Friday), for ten days.

We can't decide whether to:

a) gallop as fast as we can to the Med and loll on the beach until the latest possible time before driving back again,
or
b) mooch in Burgundy and then have a trip to Paris before we come home.

Opinions please! :Smile::thumb:

T

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OK, we're off to France next week (early morning ferry on Good Friday), for ten days.
We can't decide whether to:
a) gallop as fast as we can to the Med and loll on the beach until the latest possible time before driving back again,
or
b) mooch in Burgundy and then have a trip to Paris before we come home.
Opinions please! :Smile::thumb:T
Whichever you decide you will regret not doing the other, the Med is tempting but a long drive for just ten days. I think I would mooch and chill out you know it makes sense.:wine:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Whichever you decide you will regret not doing the other, the Med is tempting but a long drive for just ten days. I think I would mooch and chill out you know it makes sense.:wine:

Yes, that's K's opinion, so I think that's the way it seems to be heading at the mo.:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you are driving down through and see some thing that looks interesting stop and have a look,,,,, the Med will be there another time if you dont have the time....

It`s a ride/drive/holiday not a race..... and there is always next time.. ::bigsmile:

There are some beautiful places in France.. :thumb:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I would agree. Unless there is a real objective or reason for getting to the med this time, mooching sounds favourite to me.

After all, you could always take a cheap flight and a cheap hotel if that was all you were going to do :winky:

David

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't plan a thing, no targets but the return crossing, no destination, stop where you stop - just go with the flow, and have an adventure!

Or as my grandfather used to say 'follow your nose':thumb:

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Yes, the last conversation that K and I had about it was along the lines of 'lets see how the weather is - if its cold, keep going until its warm enough for us'.

We normally visit France 3 or 4 times a year (I used to live there and we have friends there) and at least one of those trips is usually a fly-and-sleep-in-the-sun job. This year though, with our kids getting married in September, it looks like our options are going to be limited, hence the indecision.

Whatever we do we'll have a lovely time - hope we may see other funsters on the road.

Thanks for your comments - K was right (of course!)

:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
With 10 days available, I would not try and get to the Med. Certainly it will not be as warm in northern / central France, but I know that Paris has been around 24ºC recently (gone a bit cooler now though).

As per your other post, why not head for Lac du Der - it's like an inland sea - lots of info on the website, including where to get jetons for the bornes (look under accommodation to the right hand side, then scroll down to Camping-cars).
http://www.lacduder.com/index.php

Also quite easy to get over into Alsace from there - Colmar and Strasbourg are worth visiting - and the Ballons des Vosges will give you an opportunity for hill walking. Or just tour the villages (many have aires) and drink the Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer.

Just my thoughts given your available time.

Philip

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Thanks for that Philip. Yes, I had it in mind to head for that area, as per my other post. The thought of the wine sipping is making it more attractive by the minute!

T:thumb:

kls

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
Shropshire hills
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
6 months! Acquired van in Jan 09
another dilemma

Great to see all of your comments; thanks for your ideas. I reckon I'm winning and we'll do the 'nose-following' option - either way we'll put it on the blog for anyone interested in finding out what we end up doing. We'll be looking out for funster stickers, so display them with pride!

happy touring, K :thumb:

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Go and mooch, its what we do best!, find places most people havn't been to, then when you feel ready to return(if at all) take laptop to mcdonalds,log on and book ferry home!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some pictures

Just to encourage you towards Eastern France, here are a few images from last July. A couple of sunset shots at Lac du Der, one of Colmar and Storks on an old factory roof at Turckheim.

Philip

Attachments

• Lac du Der Ship.jpg
    Lac du Der Ship.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Lac du Der Sunset.jpg
    Lac du Der Sunset.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Colmar canal.jpg
    Colmar canal.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Storks Turckheim.jpg
    Storks Turckheim.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On short trips we generally roughly plan a direction, google a few towns and villages and their aires and get the bikes off the rack and explore.
We love France almost everywhere is worth seeing.
Have a great time :thumb::thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Personally, I would mosey down gently, then make a dash back for the ferry and I'd miss Paris out. You can alway do a cheapy weekend there in the spring. Beaune is a lovely down if you are moseying down. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back