Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My Hymer is on the Merc 410d chassis (1994 pre Sprinter) with ABS and the brake pedal is going to the floor. I suspect it is the master cylinder. Losing brake fluid as well but can't see any leaks.

Does anyone know if there are any issues bleeding this system baring in mind it has ABS? I've never bled a braking system with ABS before.

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well I'm going to give it ago, got nothing to lose now as virtually got no brakes anyway. Just hope I don't get any air trapped in the ABS system.

Anyone else with a Hymer 665/660/670 know what make and model the ABS is likely to be?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is possible to fit a master cyl without the need for bleeding the whole system give me a call @ the garage if you want more onfo
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Brake master cylinder

Thanks for the offer Geo. I've managed to remove it without having to drain the whole system. Now I'm having to clean out the servo which has rather a lot of brake fluid inside.

Problem I'm having now is trying to source a replacement brake master cylinder.

It's an ATE with the following identification along the bore:
G

Not had any luck so far. Waiting to hear from Dronsfields but nothing as yet. I'm pretty certain the part number is PMN197 and that the original part number is 44302201.

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, try this place-quality.car.parts14 they are on ebay99.9% feedback, ihave dealt with them in the past very good. they are in Manchester
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Bleeding brakes

I've replaced the brake master cylinder, managed to get a Bosch direct replacement as I was unable to source a new ATE part in this country.

I've now bled the system till I get clean brake fluid and no air which has taken over a litre of brake fluid but I can't get a firm brake pedal without pumping it a few times. The system is split diagonally and has ABS. After about 3 hours my assistant pedal pumper is suffering knee ache. :RollEyes:

Beginning to wonder if there is air in the ABS pump. Wondered if anyone else has had experience with this or a similar system? Or do I just need to keep persevering?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know for sure but it may be one of those systems that needs pressure bleeding.

pumping the pedal doesnt work on some systems.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Not sure if your brake setup is the same as ours Merc 207d

I have to do

n/s rear first
o/s rear next
n/s front then o/s front ( 2 bleed nipples on each caliper)

I use a pressure system which blows the fluid through the pipes as my Merc has a pressure valve in the rear system which keeps the rear pressurised at a few psi also the load valve is a b***ger to get air out of it

I have read somewhere re 410 brakes that the pressurised system is the only way to go

found it

Link Removed :thumb:

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Eezibleed any good?

I was hoping to get away with not having to pressure bleed it, wonder if the Eezibleed kit is any good?

I understand from postings on other forums that you need about 30psi for pressure bleeding to be effective which might explain why I'm not having any success the old fashioned way.

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Pressure bleeding

Thanks PJ and Charlie for that info. I did see Wildman's thread but as it wasn't stopping me bleeding the rear brakes I assumed it wouldn't be an issue, how wrong I was. Thanks for putting me straight Charlie much obliged. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was hoping to get away with not having to pressure bleed it, wonder if the Eezibleed kit is any good?

I understand from postings on other forums that you need about 30psi for pressure bleeding to be effective which might explain why I'm not having any success the old fashioned way.
i have an easi-bleed kit somewhere and they do work.

just make double sure you have good seals on the bleed kit and keep an eye on the reservior bottle....easy to empty it and introduce air on long brake runs.
also release the rear load actuator arm.

connects to your front or spare tyre valve....dont forget to reinflate it afterwards.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
connects to your front or spare tyre valve....dont forget to reinflate it afterwards.[/QUOTE] pappajohn

I use a easy bleed kit also

REDUCE pressure first in tyre to abt 30 psi otherwise it blows the top of the bottle and fluid everwhere :Eeek::Eeek:

happened to me :Blush:

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
PJ & Charlie

Think I'll use the spare out the jag, already about 30, front and spare on the merc is about 48 and takes for ever to pump up. Thanks for the tips.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is possible to fit a master cyl without the need for bleeding the whole system give me a call @ the garage if you want more onfo
Geo
Had you called for help I would have talked you through a method of doing a master cyl, no air introduced so no air to bleed:Doh:10 min job
To late now of course:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
connects to your front or spare tyre valve....dont forget to reinflate it afterwards.
pappajohn

I use a easy bleed kit also

REDUCE pressure first in tyre to abt 30 psi otherwise it blows the top of the bottle and fluid everwhere :Eeek::Eeek:

happened to me :Blush:

ooops!! forgot to mention that but if you're a RTFM fan its in the instruction. :thumb:

OP
OP
G

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Had you called for help I would have talked you through a method of doing a master cyl, no air introduced so no air to bleed:Doh:10 min job
To late now of course:cry:

Yes I'm afraid so. But it's given my mate some well needed exercise he reckoned it was like having a workout at the gym. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back