Battery charging whilst on hook-up (1 Viewer)

TonyMH

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
Epsom Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Oct 2010
Hi All ,

I'm fairly new to Motor-Homing having bought a Compass Calypso in October 2010 and have only had a 2 night outing so far. When I have the Calypso connected to an EHU, will both the leisure battery and the starting battery be charged? The van has a Zig X-70 unit. The starting battery seems to lose charge quite quickly now...i.e. after 2 or 3 days standing on the driveway (not hooked up), the battery will not turn the engine over. I have checked the distilled water level and seems OK (i.e just covering the plates) so it looks like the starting battery will not hold charge......unless something is causing the battery to run down, but I can't see anything left on. I don't have any meters in the van to give me an indication of the state of the batteries - can any one suggest where I can get meters?

thanks in adv. for all help

cheers

Tony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends how your charger is wired tony, what make is your control panel ?

it does sound like your engine battery is cabbaged though...even with alarm and radio memory drain it should last a couple of weeks at least.

a combined meter like this should be easy to fit.

Link Removed

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi All ,

I'm fairly new to Motor-Homing having bought a Compass Calypso in October 2010 and have only had a 2 night outing so far. When I have the Calypso connected to an EHU, will both the leisure battery and the starting battery be charged? The van has a Zig X-70 unit. The starting battery seems to lose charge quite quickly now...i.e. after 2 or 3 days standing on the driveway (not hooked up), the battery will not turn the engine over. I have checked the distilled water level and seems OK (i.e just covering the plates) so it looks like the starting battery will not hold charge......unless something is causing the battery to run down, but I can't see anything left on. I don't have any meters in the van to give me an indication of the state of the batteries - can any one suggest where I can get meters?

thanks in adv. for all help

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

A lot of motor accessory shops will do a free test on the battery for you, if it is tested and deemed to be ok then come back with more info. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
when i owned a Calypso the rocker switch had to be set in middle to not run down engine battery is this like yours

Attachments

• ZigMK1.jpg
    ZigMK1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TonyMH

TonyMH

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
Epsom Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Oct 2010
when i owned a Calypso the rocker switch had to be set in middle to not run down engine battery is this like yours

Hi dshague,

I do have a Zig control panel with a rocker switch which has to be set in the middle (which it is). Slightly different to the one you show as I haven't got the battery meter - I have a meter which shows the level of the water tank. I will post photo soon but no time right now.

thanks,

Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TonyMH

TonyMH

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
Epsom Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Oct 2010
agreed :thumb:, just make sure its FULLY charged when its tested or it wont show a true result.

Thanks pappajohn & Sandj. I have had battery tested (having just charged it fully) and the test meter shows "Replace". The control unit is Zig. I have contacted Zig as I have no info about the panel, but rather unhelpfully, they replied saying they could not help as the unit was too old! The van is 2002, 52 reg....not that old surely!

Anyway, must go as we are off for the w-e. I have put the battery from my Mondeo TDCI in the Calypso....should do till next week when I get a new one.

regards,

Tony

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back