Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
i would be interested to here from fiat x250 30ltr owners as to what there mpg figures are.
JohnM :thumb:

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
mpg

we have an Auto-Trail apache (2008) with 3litre engine and auto box,with just over

20000 miles our average mpg is just under 25,we have tried 'Millers' diesel additive

it ran smoother but didnt alter mpg.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
I have the 2.3 i know it isnt the 3.0ltr but its been remapped and has more power than standard 3ltr and i get 29mpg...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have the 2.3 i know it isnt the 3.0ltr but its been remapped and has more power than standard 3ltr and i get 29mpg...

Hi W18BLA....what was you getting before it was remapped....who remapped it...and if it is not to cheeky what was the cost of the re-map.
I was getting on my 2.3 Fiat multijet on a McLouis Profile 28 to 32 depending if it was motorway or local use......
I have just purchased a new Rapido A Class......same weight.....same 2.3 engine......BUT it has only done 414 km at the moment......it is saying on the read out 25.5 to the gall I will know better when I refill as when purchased I filled to the rim and set to zero, but that is not pushing it...so it may even be less with a lead foot.......with it being new and everything being tight and needs to wear in so after about 10,000 to 15,000 miles it may get better it may not......that why I was asking the questions...

Mel:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i have the 3ltr with 6 speed manual box on my dethleffs
granted we are just under 5 ton and have done less than 3000 miles from new
the average is 21-22mpg i am thinking as it gets more miles on it will do a little more but not expecting to get much above 25 with this size van.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
comfortmatic IH oregon RL 28.5 average over 6000 miles so far, not really run in yet

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi W18BLA....what was you getting before it was remapped....who remapped it...and if it is not to cheeky what was the cost of the re-map.
I was getting on my 2.3 Fiat multijet on a McLouis Profile 28 to 32 depending if it was motorway or local use......
I have just purchased a new Rapido A Class......same weight.....same 2.3 engine......BUT it has only done 414 km at the moment......it is saying on the read out 25.5 to the gall I will know better when I refill as when purchased I filled to the rim and set to zero, but that is not pushing it...so it may even be less with a lead foot.......with it being new and everything being tight and needs to wear in so after about 10,000 to 15,000 miles it may get better it may not......that why I was asking the questions...

Mel:thumb:

I was getting 22-23 from day i got her its still only got 2000 miles on clock so will get even better. Cost was £250-275 at a show deal with company called Wow. :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I was getting 22-23 from day i got her its still only got 2000 miles on clock so will get even better. Cost was £250-275 at a show deal with company called Wow. :thumb:

Thank you W18BLA..for the information..that was very kind of you....I will store the info.........if it does not improove after a few miles on the clock.... I will go the way you did :thumb:

Mel

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have a Bessacarr E435 2.2 which going by the on board computer was doing 27 mpg, however on my recent trip to France I decided to check it against tank filled to the brim to get exact amount of gallons used divided into the miles traveled and it came out that the van is actually doing 20 MPG (shock horror) Now i'm wondering if there is something wrong with the engine but it drives ok.

At least it proves one thing that the on board computer is useless for MPG.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On board computers are always optimistic. However, for brim to brim calculations you need to work it out over a number of fills and average it. I do this with my company cars over their entire lifetime using a spreadsheet and I know an accurate MPG - have proved that putting super fuels in the vehicles doesn't improve MPG but driving more slowly has a significant effect. Last car gave 46.6 and current car gives 47.9 - not bad for a 2.1 litre diesel auto.

I have a 3.0 litre Ducato on a 4 tonne chassis which is currently giving about 25 (only done 1300 miles) with the trip showing 26.8. This is better than my previous van ( a 2.0JTD) which averaged 24.4 over the 6000 miles that we had it. I'm optimistic that the new engine will loosen up and give a bit more, but not much.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I used to have a 3ltr peugeot, a Pilote, which did 26 ish most of the time. Recently swapped for a new rapido, opted this time for the 2.3 engine which on our recent trip to Italy did 27/28.

The 3 ltr is definitely more powerful but the 2.3 is perfectly adequate, and we went over the alps and many other mountains, with no problems. The main reason for choosing the 2.3 was to save the extra 50kg weight (trying to keep to 3500kg) - not to mention saving the extra £2k!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think the speedo is usually up to a max of 10% optimistic so it would make sense that it thinks you have travelled 10% more than you actually have? withe the onboard computer

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Early days with my 3 litre auto fiat...........autotrail cheyene 690 SE 2009.
Did about 200 miles last week and the onboard computer said 24.6.average.
That was with air conditioning on and well loaded. plated at 4000kg.

would do better on motorways I suspect.....but quite pleased.

Can someone tell me if its a "real" auto or a computer aided gear change.......not bothered which just interested.
It really is superb to drive
!!!

barry

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Hi,My Fiat is manual.We just completed 1998 miles on hols at home and in France fully loaded with water clothes and 2 electric bikes,fuel average 24.5 mpg shown on comp.Total mileage now 10,000 thats the best overall to date.Do agree very nice to drive and good seating position.All ineed now is to get step working properly.Glad your enjoying your a/trail.:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Surely even the brimful to brimful method of calculating fuel economy is also dependant on the accuracy of speedo /odometer, you've got to take your mileage reading from that, I supose you would need to check your odometer/ mileometer against a measured mile and factor any discrepancies there in as well for totally true mpg.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's why you should calculate over several fills. The odometer might be slightly optimistic and of course accuracy changes as the tyres wear, but how far do you take these things? And having spent upwards of £40k on a van does it really matter that much? Please don't take the last comment the wrong way, I'm just trying to put it into a little perspective. Rough MPG is good enough for me, but I don't believe the trip computer on any vehicle..........

Relax, enjoy the van and enjoy the wine/beer/company!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Surely even the brimful to brimful method of calculating fuel economy is also dependant on the accuracy of speedo /odometer, you've got to take your mileage reading from that, I supose you would need to check your odometer/ mileometer against a measured mile and factor any discrepancies there in as well for totally true mpg.

Tony

My satnav gives me the mileage which is probably more accurate than the odometer so using that and doing a brimful is as good as it's going to get.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Tony

My satnav gives me the mileage which is probably more accurate than the odometer so using that and doing a brimful is as good as it's going to get.

I agree with you Dane, on a straight MW with constant speed my Garmin is showing a consistent 4mph less than speedo, but hey at the end of the day as long as your comparing like with like your computer can tell you if your motor is going out of tune or your driving style has changed.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with you Dane, on a straight MW with constant speed my Garmin is showing a consistent 4mph less than speedo, but hey at the end of the day as long as your comparing like with like your computer can tell you if your motor is going out of tune or your driving style has changed.

I agree to a point......on my 2008 McLouis steel 130 multi jet...the speedo was reading about 4 to 5 miles less than (I THINK ) the speed I was doing on the speedo, if I took the sat nav as being correct,
NOW on my new 2011 Rapido 9090DF..... all the signs on the road in France that light up with your speed seems to be saying (in areas of 90km...70km...50km...30km).....all seem read exactly to what my speedo is saying when I pass, BUT my TOM TOM is still showing 2 to 3km less!!!! .... who do I believe ..
Also I have checked it a dozen times or more my... Ltrs to the 100km....or miles to the gallon..I always fill to the top.......down to half full and fill back to the top again (I mean to the top just showing before it dribbles out)....and the ltrs to 100km seems to as near spot on as can be as to the digital cab reading..???
Also my km to ltr or mpg is getting better as I put more mileage on (I am about 5,000)
I know this not the best way of economy filling to the top and running full but it is a habbit I have always done on all my vehicles:Doh:..as with running with a full tank of water ????:Doh:

So with more and more cameras now coming in France and any signs telling you of a camera being removed .....I will stick to what the speedo says:Eeek::thumb: and not the TOM TOM:whatthe:

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
That's why you should calculate over several fills. The odometer might be slightly optimistic and of course accuracy changes as the tyres wear, but how far do you take these things? And having spent upwards of £40k on a van does it really matter that much? Please don't take the last comment the wrong way, I'm just trying to put it into a little perspective. Rough MPG is good enough for me, but I don't believe the trip computer on any vehicle..........

I started this thread some 2months ago to get a rough idea what other 30ltr owners where geting but would agree with above,i havent and will not check brim to brim as it would apear we are all about the same mpg.:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thats advancement for you Mel, between your 2008 vehicle and your new 2011 one your quoted speedo errors have improved from + 5mph to +2kph (1.24mph):thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back