Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Mo can climb a couple of normal steps - but she cannot climb any kind of 'ladder' arrangement - nor can she manoeuver herself onto a fixed double bed - so we can discount overcab bed models - or fixed bed models.

It has got to be a 2 (or 3) berth and MUST have a 'featherbed' ride over bumps -

good easy access to the ELECTRIC loo (cannot use her hands to operate a normal manual Loo,

and a 'downstairs' twin singles or a 'hide-a-bed' or two settees that make up into a double bed.

I want the lounge at the front and swinging driver and passenger seats so that we have a 'u-shaped' settee arrangement (if that makes sense).

It cannot be any longer than 21ft (well maybe just a couple of inches - but no more).

It is going to replace our car for normal every-day usage - and I have £25000 to spend.

Any ideas gratefully received. :thumb:

Dick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dick,I think with everyday use in mind you are going to need a PVC (panel van conversion). Not sure on new prices but with your budget and asuming you will get a van VAT free you should not be far off a new standard type van -Tribute,Devon etc,If none are suitable then look along the lines of buying a van and having it converted for your needs by a smaller conversion company
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Dick

Because of your exacting needs would it not be best at looking at having something Like a sprinter converted, to your requirements.

I know this is possibly not a lot of help and you have more than likely already thought of it.

Depending on what you want for fuel econemy Coachmen do some very spacious conversions based on f250 and 350 vans.

All the best Rick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dick further to my last bit -just been looking at new MWB AND LWB hi roof trannys @£13,000 plus vat= total 15,600 leaving you around 9.4k to get the conversion done :thumb: You should get just about everything you want in a van for that.Obvisoly if you can get the VAT off a new van and get them to register it as disabled motor caravan that would be a bounus :thumb: Would be interesting if they would allow you to do that ? or not register it and allow you the van Vat free ?
If that is not possible I think I would look at a 2/3 yr old for about 7/8 k saving you more cash to play with :thumb:
terry

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Dick further to my last bit -just been looking at new MWB AND LWB hi roof trannys @£13,000 plus vat= total 15,600 leaving you around 9.4k to get the conversion done :thumb: You should get just about everything you want in a van for that.Obvisoly if you can get the VAT off a new van and get them to register it as disabled motor caravan that would be a bounus :thumb: Would be interesting if they would allow you to do that ? or not register it and allow you the van Vat free ?
If that is not possible I think I would look at a 2/3 yr old for about 7/8 k saving you more cash to play with :thumb:
terry

Good Idea Terry Sloberdob has the answers on VAT and disabled taxation classes.

All the best Rick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mo can climb a couple of normal steps - but she cannot climb any kind of 'ladder' arrangement - nor can she manoeuver herself onto a fixed double bed - so we can discount overcab bed models - or fixed bed models.

It has got to be a 2 (or 3) berth and MUST have a 'featherbed' ride over bumps -

good easy access to the ELECTRIC loo (cannot use her hands to operate a normal manual Loo,

and a 'downstairs' twin singles or a 'hide-a-bed' or two settees that make up into a double bed.

I want the lounge at the front and swinging driver and passenger seats so that we have a 'u-shaped' settee arrangement (if that makes sense).

It cannot be any longer than 21ft (well maybe just a couple of inches - but no more).

It is going to replace our car for normal every-day usage - and I have £25000 to spend.

Any ideas gratefully received. :thumb:

Dick
:Eeek: Just noticed above :ROFLMAO: you need a ambulance :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't totally discount fixed beds. They are not all on the ceiling to accommodate a 'garage' locker. Ours Rapido and Jaydee's Dethleffs are more or less ordinary bed height.

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Thanks to all of you for the varied responses that we have had so far - it has been fascinating and very informative.

Terry - We used to have a BMC J4 (old bread delivery van) that we had converted ourselves and did over 60,000 miles in during the 70's and therefore tended to think of Panel Vans in that light. To be fair to your suggestion, we went over to Marquis Motorhomes in Plymouth today to check out their range of 'Panel Vans' (mostly Swift and Timberland). Must admit they didn't look anything like my old J4 but they did bring us back a lot of happy memories - so thank you for that. However, Mo's situation demands a little more space than we saw in most of the examples that we checked out - and just like the old J4 most of them had sliding doors in one form or another. Nothing wrong with that except that we have a couple of house-cats that enjoy escaping - Mo can control them with 'ordinary' doors but sliding doors defeat her lack of physical arm strength.

Rayb 182 - we liked the look of that motorhome - however, Mo specifically wants on open lounge at the front and your 'driving cabin' chairs don't appear to swivel.

Rick and 'nearly retired - thank you for the input, much appreciated.

Peter's man (Mark) at John's Cross Motorhomes is coming back to me by email with suggestions so we look forward to that - being as they are almost close enough to be able to pop down and see them when we visit the family at Bournemouth.

Our visit to Marquis also led us to two particular models that we really liked (but at around about £60k new, like them is all we could do :Sad:). The 'Autocruiser Starmist' and the 'Swift Bolero 600EK' - and we have put our names down with that Company as being interested in 'used' models should they become available within our budget.

That has given us something to think about whilst we await the response from Mark.

We have also spoken with 'Mobility' to see what chance there might be of a vehicle from them - they didn't know but seemed quite open to an offer - something else to think about!

Once again, our thanks for some very interesting pointers.

Dick

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have you looked at the C I Mizar or is that too long:Smile::Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try looking at a Autocruise Starfire that may well fit the bill :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Thanks for that, Terry - that is one terrific motorhome BUT it is set about £10k more than we budgeted for. We missed it on our trawl through EBay but that is because we set the parameters at a maximum of £25000.

Thanks for the information, though - we will speak to the Dealer but I cannot imagine he could match our price range on such a new vehicle.

Dick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for that, Terry - that is one terrific motorhome BUT it is set about £10k more than we budgeted for. We missed it on our trawl through EBay but that is because we set the parameters at a maximum of £25000.

Thanks for the information, though - we will speak to the Dealer but I cannot imagine he could match our price range on such a new vehicle.

Dick
I make it £4,495 More than your budget
You wont know till you try, and it shows that this vehicle must be available privately within your budget, if a dealer is asking that for it
Remember the £ is power:thumb:
Geo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dick just done a quick search on Autotrader and found a 2004 with 14800 mls for 20k - less bargaining :thumb:-Have a search around I have seen another van with the same layout but cannot remember the make ::bigsmile: Our Ambulance is a very similer layout but only cosst me £10,500
Link Removed
terry
edit It looks to have some nice goodies thrown in as well

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have spoken to the Dealer - he told me that the vehicle has already dropped from £32k - they apparently work on a 30 day turn-around and if it doesn't sell in that time, they reduce it even further.

So I said - "Well, if it drops to about £25k will you ring me and let me know" - That was when I heard him cough, choke and then somebody said "It's all right I'm a Doctor - just lie still and the fit will pass over" :RollEyes:

Never mind, we continue the search.

Dick

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Got to say thank you to all the Funsters that offered us advice.

Decided that the Autocruise Starfire best suited our purposes so drove around several dealers in Devon and Cornwall looking at various differing ones at various prices to really make sure that was it!

Came home and google'd it on Wed night - found one in Bradford at around our budget - set off at 5am today (thursday) and had bought it by 2pm. :thumb:

Just arrived home after 700 miles and nearly 12 hours behind the wheel - now to get the tax and insurance sorted and then collect it on Tuesday next week.

I'll post some pictures when I get it. 05 plate - 14800 genuine miles on the clock - Flat TV - auto-tuner Sat dish - mini sky box and card - Solar panel and charger and 240volt to 12 volt inverter. I cannot believe it - all for £20k!

Well pleased, am I. ::bigsmile:riving2: :youbetcha:::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Congratualtions Mo and Dick. You won't need a Big Pitch for the Autocruise, you'll be able to go anywhere you like::bigsmile::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well done Dick :thumb: Is it the one I gave the link to in my last post ? if so we can see the pics ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Terry

Not the one that you linked us to - but that one virtually decided us on that particular Model.

No, the one that we got is almost the same but on an 04 plate (with lots of toys) at £20,000 and only 14800 miles on the clock.

Superficially it is clean but it needs a womans touch to make it sparkle - that was of benefit to us because we saw it 'in-the-raw' so to speak - not dressed up ready for a Show or a dealers forecourt. The person who owned it loves felt-tip pens and had gone around the vehicle high-lighting all the switches etc - so a bit of cleaning fluid to remove felt-tip ink, a drop of polish on the 'bright-work' and a screen cleaner on the TV instead of the damp rag that they used!

With only 14800 miles on the clock, I reckon the tyres would have stood still for long periods of time and although they are in good condition, they are all dated 45/04 so are probably originals and I may well change them before we go too far.

All in all, I cannot wait to get me 'marigolds' on and to get stuck in! :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dick just done a quick search on Autotrader and found a 2004 with 14800 mls for 20k - less bargaining :thumb:-Have a search around I have seen another van with the same layout but cannot remember the make ::bigsmile: Our Ambulance is a very similer layout but only cosst me £10,500
Link Removed
terry
edit It looks to have some nice goodies thrown in as well

Hi Terry

Not the one that you linked us to - but that one virtually decided us on that particular Model.

No, the one that we got is almost the same but on an 04 plate (with lots of toys) at £20,000 and only 14800 miles on the clock.

Superficially it is clean but it needs a womans touch to make it sparkle - that was of benefit to us because we saw it 'in-the-raw' so to speak - not dressed up ready for a Show or a dealers forecourt. The person who owned it loves felt-tip pens and had gone around the vehicle high-lighting all the switches etc - so a bit of cleaning fluid to remove felt-tip ink, a drop of polish on the 'bright-work' and a screen cleaner on the TV instead of the damp rag that they used!

With only 14800 miles on the clock, I reckon the tyres would have stood still for long periods of time and although they are in good condition, they are all dated 45/04 so are probably originals and I may well change them before we go too far.

All in all, I cannot wait to get me 'marigolds' on and to get stuck in! :thumb:

Not this one then ?
terry

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Oooops, Sorry Terry - forgot that link. :Blush: Only remembered the shiny 'New' one that you linked.

Yes, the later link is the one! :thumb: we also Googled it and probably came up with the same list as you - then went around the Dealers in Devon and Cornwall to try them out.

Link Removed

What with one thing and another - give and take on both sides - I part exchanged our car as part of the deal (more or less same price as quoted from "We buy any car") - we didn't hassle or bargain - I was happy with what I saw, liked the man I was doing business with - and was content with the end 'deal'. :thumb:

Dick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Glad you found it :winky: it looks quite a bargain compaired to the others I found :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
What's even better is that I have just had my insurance swapped from the Lexus car to the motorhome (from next week) and it is £180 a year cheaper! Whooo-hooooo! :thumb:

Yesterday I actually drove 662 miles and came in with 24.95mpg for the Lexus (3300cc engine) - the motorhome has the 2200cc turbo diesel engine - so I reckon I will get at least as good mpg from that, if not better. :Smile:

Dick

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Well done, One of my favorite motorhomes, I'm green with envy, thats an absolute steal at that price and from a dealer as well.
Good luck in her:thumb:

Tim

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Congratulations Dick looks a nice van glad you found what you like.:thumb:

Yet another RV'er gone the European way, such a shame I love RV's. Have to say my Hymer has really grown on me though and we use it every chance we get, even go and park up at a beauty spot for the day never did that in a RV.

Enjoy:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back