LAMBKINZ

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hi Top A/S
Exp
Begginer
Please help us....we've been diddled - but we're coming back fighting. We've got to get a new engine for our Talbot Harmony Autosleeper 1991 1975cc. Does anyone have the knowledge on what engine would be the best replacement...please!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Please help us....we've been diddled - but we're coming back fighting. We've got to get a new engine for our Talbot Harmony Autosleeper 1991 1975cc. Does anyone have the knowledge on what engine would be the best replacement...please!
The least troublsome and least expensive would be a direct second hand replacement
Recon the existing if you want warranty and piece of mind
Attempting to update or improve with a bigger more modern unit is fraught with problems, and rarely stops at just the engine, Gearbox,mountings,prop, or drive shafts,fuel tank, loom etc etc
Not to mension insurance problems and engineers reports on the braking systems suitability fr the new engine
Geo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Almost any of the fiat Ducato will do nicely.. Might as well go for a 2.3 / 2.4 ltr lump.. far more common and will be under less strain in your van :thumb:

Or not !

Having just read Geos reply stick with what he says.. I USED to do it for a living, that man still does so has proly forgot more than I will ever know !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TYKETRIPPER

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years
Google 'Delfin Designs' near Poole. Derek knows a huge amount about 'Sevel' vans and will help with your problems. When we started Motorhoming we had a Harmony and loved it but we also was sold a 'pup' and Derek helped us. Hope this helps.
Ian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Almost any of the fiat Ducato will do nicely.. Might as well go for a 2.3 / 2.4 ltr lump.. far more common and will be under less strain in your van :thumb:

Or not !

Having just read Geos reply stick with what he says.. I USED to do it for a living, that man still does so has proly forgot more than I will ever know !!

No your quite right
If it were mine Id put a 3 ltr in it
Because, like you, I can:thumb:
But for non motor trade folk it would cost a fortune at todays labour rates to pay to have it done, If you could find someone to take the job on we wont because workshop space is very very expensive you cant quote for the job or know how long it will take, and when I say its an open cq book job they run a mile or three:Doh:
hence least troublesome and expensive advise given:Cool:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
On another forum OP says previous owner has put a 1.6 lump into his Talbot and he wants to put the proper sized engine in. Will he have to swop all anciliary bits as well or would the 1.6 have fitted all the other bits from previous correct engine.?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On another forum OP says previous owner has put a 1.6 lump into his Talbot and he wants to put the proper sized engine in. Will he have to swop all anciliary bits as well or would the 1.6 have fitted all the other bits from previous correct engine.?
thanks paul :thumb:

really couldnt say about the ancilliaries...a case of suck it and see.

would imagine some may be interchangable but not all.

a used (scrapyard) replacement will probaby come as a 'bare' engine.....no 'bolted on' bits but probably with manifolds and fly wheel/chutch attached.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno.. you can usually negotiate a complete lump with everything in place.. 18 bolts and a bit of wire swapping and its job done ( but as Geo says.. )

Mind you, we do not know the skill set of the OP.. Lambkinz. if you can chuck a few spanners about and can blag a hoist for a couple days.....................:thumb:Equally, as PJ quite rightly asks, what is the issue with the old lump ?

OP
OP
L

LAMBKINZ

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hi Top A/S
Exp
Begginer
I have no skill set......but know my rights and the trader is going to find out that too as I'm suing him for mis-representation of the vehicle and his options will be fit the correct engine or pay up the costs for my friend to buy and fit (he has van skill sets). Or he could just refund me and my costs (but like I've grown fond of the old gal!).:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have no skill set......but know my rights and the trader is going to find out that too as I'm suing him for mis-representation of the vehicle and his options will be fit the correct engine or pay up the costs for my friend to buy and fit (he has van skill sets). Or he could just refund me and my costs (but like I've grown fond of the old gal!).:RollEyes:
i'm no expert by any means on the legal side of your complaint but i'd say if you're still using it then stop.
could be deemed as accepting the van.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

As you are not mechanicaly minded and goodness knows what else has been bodged, I would plug for my money back and go again, just my opinion of course but after many years in the motor trade you tend to learn when to walk away having to my cost not done when I should.

All the best Rick

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This may sound silly but if it was a private sale you will struggle to get anything ,be it refund or payment towards a replacment engine
terry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If the van is "sold as seen" your stuffed im afraid. Even some traders sell older vehicles "Sold as seen". Personally I think you would be better saving your money on solicitors and just get it fixed, its a fairly simple setup and i cant see an engine costing the earth.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
This may sound silly but if it was a private sale you will struggle to get anything ,be it refund or payment towards a replacment engine
terry

Hi Terry - I agree with your sentiments but I think the OP bought from a dealer if his post that includes the following

"....know my rights and the trader is going to find out that too as I'm suing him for mis-representation of the vehicle "

is anything to go by.

But there is so little detail of the alleged misrepresentation given by the OP that anything posted here at this stage can only be conjecture. Maybe, even, there was no misrepresentation (that can be proved) and it's all in the mind of the OP ... ? On the other hand maybe, perhaps, there was flagrant misrepresentation .... but until the OP gives a fuller and better explanation (IF he wants to) then, as I say, any post on the subject can only be pure conjecture at this stage.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Maybe the dealer didnt know:Eeek:
Cant say ive ever checked to see if the engine on the V5 is whats under the bonnet:Doh:
he may have taken it in Px and sold it as he got it:Blush:

OP
OP
L

LAMBKINZ

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hi Top A/S
Exp
Begginer
Google 'Delfin Designs' near Poole. Derek knows a huge amount about 'Sevel' vans and will help with your problems. When we started Motorhoming we had a Harmony and loved it but we also was sold a 'pup' and Derek helped us. Hope this helps.
Ian

I would just like to say a "HUGE THANK YOU" to you as we have spoken to this gentleman and he knows his stuff!

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Maybe the dealer didnt know:Eeek:
Cant say ive ever checked to see if the engine on the V5 is whats under the bonnet:Doh:
he may have taken it in Px and sold it as he got it:Blush:

Yes, I could understand that. That's the sort of thing that can happen.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You've done the right thing, Derek at delphin will see you right! While you're at it get him to wack his G/Box mod in at the same time. It's well worth the money:thumb:

OP
OP
L

LAMBKINZ

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hi Top A/S
Exp
Begginer

I would just like to put on the record that the vehicle is back with the trader who is doing his utmost to investigate this matter. He has been very proffesional and we'll just have to wait and see.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back