LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is Mi game to drive the MH Lenny? If so it would mean you could move somewhere else and get some charge back in the batteries.
Not really she has never driven this one and the roads are so busy here.
Batteries will last a while yet I've 3 Gels and they can go down to 20% without a problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not really she has never driven this one and the roads are so busy here.
Batteries will last a while yet I've 3 Gels and they can go down to 20% without a problem.
Yes I know, are you trying to teach me to suck eggs (.... or tablets!) :imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Good news Lenny!

I agree with what you said about the treatment EXCEPT the sore backside - that had nothing to do with the treatment 😳

yes,l thought the younger patient was a bit too friendly :LOL:

Good news being on the mend Lenny hope we get back to your travels soon all this worry is wearing us all out.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Any Victron BMV experts out there?
I'm normally pretty clued up on this sort of stuff but brain has left the house this week.

Had low battery warning this morning batteries at 11.7v which under load is OK.
Battery state of charge showing 45%.
With every thing turned off which is near as no load I can get its 11.85v which would indicate a flat battery but off load voltages are only a guide .

Batteries are 3 x 78a/h Gels (234a/h)BMV set to 230a/h.
Consummed a/h showing as 180a/h which would be 80% but I'm not sure if this takes into account charge input.
Ever since I've had a BMV I've never been convinced the state of charge to voltage is correct.

Something I really don't want to do is run the engine stationary but may have too. My 300 Watts is producing less than an amp today.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm normally pretty clued up on this sort of stuff but brain has left the house this week.

With every thing turned off which is near as no load I can get its 11.85v which would indicate a flat battery but off load voltages are only a guide .

Consummed a/h showing as 180a/h which would be 80% but I'm not sure if this takes into account charge input.
Ever since I've had a BMV I've never been convinced the state of charge to voltage is correct.

Something I really don't want to do is run the engine stationary but may have too. My 300 Watts is producing less than an amp today.

Yes Lenny the charged ammount does take into account input, otherwise there would be no point monitoring the state of charge. However it would only measure this if the shunt was correctly connected and that no other inputs/outputs were made between the shunt and the battery.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@LennyYou might be better starting a new thread with a battery title. You may get more replies. Good luck

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes Lenny the charged ammount does take into account input, otherwise there would be no point monitoring the state of charge. However it would only measure this if the shunt was correctly connected and that no other inputs/outputs were made between the shunt and the battery.
That's what I assumed brain just not in gear at the moment.
But batty voltage does not tie up with state of charge and I know its all set up correctly.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's what I assumed brain just not in gear at the moment.
But batty voltage does not tie up with state of charge and I know its all set up correctly.
I’m not a battery expert Lenny but your batteries are a fair few years old now and may be struggling to hold their charge, especially if you are drawing high currents via an inverter

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’m not a battery expert Lenny but your batteries are a fair few years old now and may be struggling to hold their charge, especially if you are drawing high currents via an inverter
Two of them are 4 years old and one 3 years old generally considered youngsters for Gels.
Inverter not very often used last time was on the Chunnel to make a brew on the way over.

We have been totally off grid now for 12 days with very little sun. So they are doing quite well. Just the readings don't coordinate.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Two of them are 4 years old and one 3 years old generally considered youngsters for Gels.
Inverter not very often used last time was on the Chunnel to make a brew on the way over.

We have been totally off grid now for 12 days with very little sun. So they are doing quite well. Just the readings don't coordinate.
Does your van control panel show voltage?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hope this isn't reading your starter battery as well else you won't be able to start the van shortly.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hope this isn't reading your starter battery as well else you won't be able to start the van shortly.
The starter battery has a CBE solar relay connected to it so on the few days we have had some sun it will have got a bit of a charge.
Only been 12days starter battery should hold up for 3 weeks with no input.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Where are you at the moment. I've been finding Free Stelplatz with very cheap power. 2€ per 24 hours at one two-day ago. Last night - 1€ per six hours. Could help until the sun makes an appearance.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Should have come to Spain,,sunshine and I bet the hospital food is better 😁😁 BUSBY.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Where are you at the moment. I've been finding Free Stelplatz with very cheap power. 2€ per 24 hours at one two-day ago. Last night - 1€ per six hours. Could help until the sun makes an appearance.
There are a couple close by but I'm not really up to driving yet.
Supposed to be sunny tomorrow.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Lenny, I’m surprised you didn’t ask me! I’d have told you to connect your Victrex to your CBE via your BMV,but don’t forget to test your MPPT up to 160 Ah. You’ll need to check your fuses after that! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :rofl:

Glad you’re on the mend,take it slowly.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019

Hi Lenny, first I wish you a speedy recovery and look after yourself. The bmv is quite accurate and even more when the right parameters are dialled in. The 230ah assuming is at 20h rate capacity, then is the right one to input in bmv. Charge detection voltage, tail current and time for 100% charge synchronisation is key to when it resets the clock back to 100%. On my house lead bank, I have noticed that 1% tail current, minimum of 5 mins detection time, and charged voltage set 0,2v below absorb voltage, will trigger best sync for 100% charge. Any lower values would of been premature sync and will drift over time. Since you haven’t returned to a full charge, that is not a concern to you at the moment. Taking 180ah out of 230ah sounds about right with your estimation of 80% discharge, and voltage is about right to. A empty Pb cell measures 1,75v or 10.5v for 12v. You are close to empty and any time spent at low charge is not good. Some charge ASAP to bring it above 12v will buy out some time until you get them back to full. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just one point I am not clear on , is why can't you run the engine?
Because it buggers modern diesel engines, as they never get up to operating temp just on tickover. Also buggers Cat & DPF.

I've had to resort to running it not good.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Taking 180ah out of 230ah sounds about right with your estimation of 80% discharge, and voltage is about right to
The 180 does include the solar its has in over the last week.

Just checked my voltage I have a decent meter measures 12.31v BMV reading 12.29v not a lot in it.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If the -180 you read on bmv, that’s what did came out of the batteries at that time. Solar has been eaten on the other side of the shunt.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got a NASA battery monitor which is of course not a Victron BMV but it works on a similar principle. What I've discovered is it doesn't just work out the state of charge by only counting amps in and out. I know it does this as well but if this was the only way it assessed the state of charge over time it would drift away from the correct figure because of any accumulation of small errors.

I also have a B2B which because of the way I've wired it, missing out the shunt, the battery monitor doesn't know about the hefty charging current which might have been going into the batteries while we drive. The result is after say an hour's drive the monitor might say 80% when we stop but after about ten minutes this will be up to 100%. I can only assume the monitor looks at the voltage over a period and also uses that to assess the state of charge and makes a correction if necessary to its estimated figure based on measuring amps in and out.

None of which may help in this situation other that after a short period of fairly steady state with only small loads the battery monitor seems to come up with an accurate figure.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hope all goes well for your recovery Lenny. It could be worse just think of the pain you would be in, if you where having to pay 20 euros a night to stop where you are , you would also be in danger of losing your title as King of the FLT brigade.
James
Pffft he was never king ....a mere knave at best ....ive seen his spending 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back