Dumfries & Galloway Campsites Please (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi,

We are intending to go off in the van with the kids over the Easter Holidays.:Cool:

Thinking of going to Dumfries & Galloway. It's the only part of Scotland I have never explored, and being a Scot, I think it's about time we should give it a go, heading down from Gretna towards Stranraer.

Any recommendations of family friendly campsites in the area, and places to go, things to see.

I hear the "Cream of Galloway" ice cream visitor centre is a good one.

Appreciate any input from Funsters, thanks....:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used to tent camp at Link Removed in Kirkcudbright in the 1980s and took the van there on our first trip in 2006.

It's on a fairly steep hill but no problem driving the van up it. There's a childrens' play park next to it and it's right above the town so chippy, harbour, shops and pubs in easy walking distance.

The beaches of the Dee estuary are just down the road. The Dhoon Shore is especially nice.

There's also a small zoo about a 1 mile walk away which the children will like.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The CC Club site at New England bay is great, on the edge of Luce bay and right on the beach ..

Location map

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have to agree with Jim wonderful site, Aird Donald commercial site Stranraer, worth a visit Logan Fish Larder, Port Patrick small port.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Have to agree with Jim wonderful site, Aird Donald commercial site Stranraer, worth a visit Logan Fish Larder, Port Patrick small port.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

For the western side I agree, the CC site mentioned by Jim and Disco we have stayed at late last year and well positioned. Some stunning coastal scenery - but very few places in Scotland's coastline are not stunning. We have not been to the forest and eastern side, and would be looking for a second site for this area.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We can recommend this peaceful site:

Mossyard

I went there nearly every year as a child and have been recently as well.
A fantastic little beach and on a working farm.
Stunning scenery on the coastal footpaths, too.

There's a bigger site a mile up the road with swimming pool and entertainments:

Auchenlarie

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
THANKS EVERYONE...:thumb:

Lots of great suggestions,

I had already seen the Silvercraigs site on UKCampsites, sounded good, thanks for the confirmations of that.

Auchenlarie also sound good for the kids, especially if the weather is not too good.:Cool:

Garlieston Lodge looks nice, but unfortunately adults only, kids will not be happy if we leave them at the gate.....

Mossyard also looks great, right on the beach, great if the weather is kind..

Only problem now, is deciding where to go and whether or not there will be pitches available. We don't usually like to book so we can just come and go as the mood takes us.
As it's school hols maybe better to book at least one or two to be safe.

Any more ideas and suggestion welcome, thanks again every body, great stuff....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
You don't mention if your a member of the CC or C & CC as there are some stunningly beautiful CL & CS sites.

2 independents we've stayed at with plenty for kids to do are

http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/Link Removed

Nice walk down to Kipford village and harbour, superb pub food at reasonable prices.

Second is

http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/

Literally on the banks of Loch Ken, fishing, boating and kids play area, have stayed at both off season and enjoyed them. Small Tescos at Castle Douglas with a large very motorhome friendly car park.

Your going to enjoy D & G happy holidays.

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
We stopped at Brighouse Bay last month, nice site with lots of things to do for the kids, pool, nature trail, beach 100 yards away - will certainly be going again

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You don't mention if your a member of the CC or C & CC as there are some stunningly beautiful CL & CS sites.

2 independents we've stayed at with plenty for kids to do are

http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/http://[/www.kippfordholidaypark.co... [URL]http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/

Literally on the banks of Loch Ken, fishing, boating and kids play area, have stayed at both off season and enjoyed them. Small Tescos at Castle Douglas with a large very motorhome friendly car park.

Your going to enjoy D & G happy holidays.

Thanks Stewart, we already had looked at the Loch Ken Holiday Park website, thanks.
I'm looking at Kipford now.:thumb:

My apologoes Janine, I googled Gairlieston and it found Gairlieston Lodge C&CC CS, thats adults only, oops, thanks again....:thumb:

We are CC members.

Really looking forward now to this break. I think 2 weeks may not be enough:cry::cry:. Spoilt for choice, here. decisions decisions....:Eeek:

MUCHO GRACIAS AMIGOS.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back