Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ll start by saying I dont do these sorts of speeds in the motorhome anyway. But there is a posting elsewhere on the "net" about speed limits as they pertain to Motorhomes.

It appears that a"Someone" was pulled on an "A" dual carriageway doing 70MPH. There was an argument raging about what IS classed as a Motorhome and or "light Goods! etc;

My understanding is that for the purpose of Speed limits. ONLY vehicles of less than 3.05t. are legally allowed to proceed at up to 70MPH. Over 3.05t the limit is 60MPH.?

This would appear to be borne out by the Gov.Org.:- https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits?fbclid=IwAR0qsGdoHomxCX8TzsYwSsP6FHM6V_yNyJlTc5Y1XZbPPG3bIV-AqkzFhHU

Built-up areas
mph (km/h)
Single carriageways
mph (km/h)
Dual carriageways
mph (km/h)
Motorways
mph (km/h)

Motorhomes or motor caravans
(not more than 3.05 tonnes
maximum unladen weight)
30 (48)60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)

Motorhomes or motor caravans
(more than 3.05 tonnes
maximum unladen weight)
30 (48)50 (80)60 (96)70 (112)

As the classic phrase goes. "What does the team think"?

BTW, something that had escaped my notice, Is that although the limit on single carriageways for Lorries was raised to 50. It remains 40 North of the Border. Wonder how many tickets have been issued North of Berwick?.

Last edited:

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
That's how I understand it, problem is knowing your unladen weight as most manufacturers dont declare it as they are too busy trying to manipulate the MIRO figures
My 4t motorhome is less than 3.05t unladen 👍

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You are correct as per your posting.

It’s also 60 even in a small van under 3.05t unless it’s car derived.

Also it’s surprising how few people understand what is or isn’t a dual carriageway ie two lanes isn’t necessarily DC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its another good example of a law no longer being fit for purpose. It would make much more sense to use the GVW as listed on the V5.

Same for car derived vans as an Astra Van is not considered in law to be one although by any sensible interpretation it is.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That's how I understand it, problem is knowing your unladen weight as most manufacturers dont declare it as they are too busy trying to manipulate the MIRO figures
My 4t motorhome is less than 3.05t unladen 👍
[/QUOTE

I found the unladen weight on our N&B Arto 69GL from a very detailed 9-page article in MMM August 2001(a much more professional mag in those days) so the writer must have got it from the Dealer(Then Brownhills) or N&B, so unlaened weight must be available, at least from some manufacturers.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Also it’s surprising how few people understand what is or isn’t a dual carriageway ie two lanes isn’t necessarily DC

There is a point on the A303 where the dual carriageway becomes a single carriageway with 3 lanes. You take it in turns to have the benefit of the extra lane. If towing I stick to 50 along this stretch and twice now I have been overtaken by cars towing caravans doing about 60. Once I was following a caravan doing 50 who speeded up as soon as he reached the point where the second lane favoured our direction.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's why i like it here .there is an unladen weight on the ficha tecnica showing for any type of vehicle including all makes & types of motorhome. My last coachbuilt probably did show the U/L of the initial chassis cab before construction, 1783kgs, but that is what the speed limits are based on in the UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
nicholsong said:
I found the unladen weight on our N&B Arto 69GL from a very detailed 9-page article in MMM August 2001(a much more professional mag in those days) so the writer must have got it from the Dealer(Then Brownhills) or N&B, so unlaened weight must be available, at least from some manufacturers.
Geoff, I had reason to seek similar info a few days ago, and came across this.

I assume they must list other brands/models.
Edited............ They do. ;)

Its another good example of a law no longer being fit for purpose. It would make much more sense to use the GVW as listed on the V5.
Same here Jon. I never understood the reasoning for using the 3.05t unladen figure, as opposed to the 3.5t laden figure. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deleted User
Another confusion is that if you apply to the DVLA for a self build to be reclassified as a Motor Caravan then it is more than likely going to be reclassified as a van with windows. The DVLA however also say that the V5 only describes what the vehicle looks like in traffic and if the interior is converted to their guidelines then it can be used as a motor caravan and benefit from the higher speed limits etc.
Therefore on the police database it is a van with windows but has a different speed limits to a van with windows that is still a commercial van. !

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Just goes to show how hard it is to get a definite figure for unladen.....fully empty with no engine coolant or people
I took mine to weighbridge as soon as I bought it to get an idea of fully empty, then weighed it again with fuel and me on board....I carry the tickets in the van just in case

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Geoff, I had reason to seek similar info a few days ago, and came across this.

I assume they must list other brands/models.
Edited............ They do. ;)

Same here Jon. I never understood the reasoning for using the 3.05t unladen figure, as opposed to the 3.5t laden figure. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I think years ago vehicles under 3 ton unladen weight,,many Bedford and Ford trucks were pre 1965 could be driven by under 21 year olds,and if heavier than 3 tons you had to be 21.This was pre HGV license which didn't come in until1969/70.Was 3 ton I wonder the same as 3.05 tonnes? BUSBY.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There is a point on the A303 where the dual carriageway becomes a single carriageway with 3 lanes. You take it in turns to have the benefit of the extra lane. If towing I stick to 50 along this stretch and twice now I have been overtaken by cars towing caravans doing about 60. Once I was following a caravan doing 50 who speeded up as soon as he reached the point where the second lane favoured our direction.
Illminster bye-pass?. When it was being built. The Yeovil MP "Paddy" Ashdown made representations to the Government to have it completely dual carriageway!.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Illminster bye-pass?. When it was being built. The Yeovil MP "Paddy" Ashdown made representations to the Government to have it completely dual carriageway!.
From the accidents on this stretch it seems he was right.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Does the Reg doc show an ulw, if not how does fuzz know ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The unladen weight is with ALL the motorhome stuff out, and the basic vehicle my van with all out, and bare would be under 3 ton but not usable as a motorhome but would qualify as light enough for the speed limits, with everything back in and on it is 3860 for a max weight of 4200 with us food and water with fuel ready to go. The bare chassis in my picture to the side here would be 2000+kilos but obviously not usable as a motorhome.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I got pulled over by the German Rozzers in the Saarland.

He said “do you know why I have pulled you over Mr Turner”
I said “no I don’t, it can’t be speeding as this section doesn’t have a speed limit”

He said “ahhhh Mr Turner, zat is where you are wrong. No speed limits for a car but for a motorhome it is 100kph”

Consider me told off and a quick lesson on the German Highway Code.
Off I went with a flea in my ear.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
I got pulled over by the German Rozzers in the Saarland.

He said “do you know why I have pulled you over Mr Turner”
I said “no I don’t, it can’t be speeding as this section doesn’t have a speed limit”

He said “ahhhh Mr Turner, zat is where you are wrong. No speed limits for a car but for a motorhome it is 100kph”

Consider me told off and a quick lesson on the German Highway Code.
Off I went with a flea in my ear.

How did he know your name? Very clever those Germans.....

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
my old Dad got done for speeding he was well in his 70's he should have known better but it was in the MH.
He was very sheepish when he admitted that he had been caught but it did amuse and embarrass him when I persisted in telling the younger generation who always thought that their Uncle was so proper and well behaved. (they didn't know the half of it) :dance2:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Another confusion is that if you apply to the DVLA for a self build to be reclassified as a Motor Caravan then it is more than likely going to be reclassified as a van with windows. The DVLA however also say that the V5 only describes what the vehicle looks like in traffic and if the interior is converted to their guidelines then it can be used as a motor caravan and benefit from the higher speed limits etc.
Therefore on the police database it is a van with windows but has a different speed limits to a van with windows that is still a commercial van. !
Where does it say, can benefit from higher speed limits ?
my letter from DVLA re- van with windows, only said ‘can still be used as a motorhome’ nothing about speed limits. My interpretation of this is they are happy for me to sleep in it, but they will not call it a Motor Caravan. I will stick to van limits for safety.

Deleted User
Where does it say, can benefit from higher speed limits ?
my letter from DVLA re- van with windows, only said ‘can still be used as a motorhome’ nothing about speed limits. My interpretation of this is they are happy for me to sleep in it, but they will not call it a Motor Caravan. I will stick to van limits for safety.
From the DVLA guidelines.

DVLA is required to record vehicle details for road safety and law enforcement. The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle looks like in traffic. This description, as well as other distinguishing features, allows the police and other enforcement agencies to easily identify vehicles.

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

Also, this is an extract from a copy of an email from the DVLA.
Turning to the issue of speed limits for your vehicle; as I explained in my email to you of 21 August 2019, the national speed limits for different categories of road vehicle depend on how the vehicle is configured for use on the road.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
From the DVLA guidelines.

DVLA is required to record vehicle details for road safety and law enforcement. The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle looks like in traffic. This description, as well as other distinguishing features, allows the police and other enforcement agencies to easily identify vehicles.

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

Also, this is an extract from a copy of an email from the DVLA.
Turning to the issue of speed limits for your vehicle; as I explained in my email to you of 21 August 2019, the national speed limits for different categories of road vehicle depend on how the vehicle is configured for use on the road.
Oh dear, I could be have been trapped on A30 to and from Cornwall last few days, saw speed cameras too late, both at foot of long hill so doing just over 60. I did wonder if it was 60 on DC, now I know. Could have been an expensive trip. Ahhhh!!!
Smudger55

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Oh dear, I could be have been trapped on A30 to and from Cornwall last few days, saw speed cameras too late, both at foot of long hill so doing just over 60. I did wonder if it was 60 on DC, now I know. Could have been an expensive trip. Ahhhh!!!
Smudger55

You have the 10% plus 2 miles per hour buffer so if the limit is 60, doing 65 should be within this buffer.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Government to have it completely dual carriageway!.
Hi.
I maybe not right,but... The stretch from junc 28 M1 into Mansfield area,is a mix,it was said that " County ". were responsible for single tracks and Gov. for dual/twin bits. Thats why its a Mish/mash. Nice at night though when doing some " Night owling " The lights go onto " Demand"...... Seamless trucking. (y)
Tea Bag

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
But should you aim for a speed which is illegal?

I didn't say aim for it. I was merely pointing out the perimeters within which it operates. Goodness I have been on enough driving courses to know the speed limit isn't a target. I think that's what they said :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back