Scotland, October Half Term, 2 x tween kids and a dog - Any tips ? (1 Viewer)

Fro5ty

Free Member
Sep 14, 2020
Bucks
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
0 years
Hello all

This is my first post, we are ex VW owners and having a try before you buy half term in Scotland in a 6 berth Just Go hire motorhome.
Having never been to Scotland before, I'm certain me/wife/dog will love the scenery however I'm slightly concerned about keeping the children entertained with short daylight days and a lot of 'scenery' for them - any tips for destinations or attractions for kids around age 10 would be really welcome!
*we are thinking west coast and central, but not entirely decided!

Thank you
Fro5ty

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome... unfortunately with Scotland mostly shut down or restricted at the moment and for the foreseeable it will be mostly outdoor activities...

but I’m sure you’ll still have a great first adventure..👍🏼

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Interested in the reply’s here too, we are thinking of heading up for half term. Outside is fine, it’s what we love doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all

This is my first post, we are ex VW owners and having a try before you buy half term in Scotland in a 6 berth Just Go hire motorhome.
Having never been to Scotland before, I'm certain me/wife/dog will love the scenery however I'm slightly concerned about keeping the children entertained with short daylight days and a lot of 'scenery' for them - any tips for destinations or attractions for kids around age 10 would be really welcome!

Thank you
Fro5ty
Central very tricky at the moment.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Where are you collecting the MH from?

OP
OP
F

Fro5ty

Free Member
Sep 14, 2020
Bucks
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
0 years
Collecting MH from around the Dunstable area on M1, so Bedfordshire... We've never been to Scotland so thought this a great opportunity - maybe to see some landmarks on the way up too!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Would they be interested in geo caching? Google it, like a modern day treasure hunt.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
10 days isn’t long and as mentioned above the central belt is mainly closed, I’d recommend you have a look at Dumfries and Galloway. We have loads to see and do here and a lot quieter. Check out the visit Scotland website and select an area to see what’s there.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Last week I would have recommended the South West of Scotland but covid has kicked off here again, quite a bit worse than before. Highlands is probably the best destination at present, subject to rapid change.

Edit:
You posted just before me Longer! Things are not good in Stranraer right now, another two cases in our street.

OP
OP
F

Fro5ty

Free Member
Sep 14, 2020
Bucks
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
0 years
Thank you all for your suggestions, to be honest I think we would just be happy soaking up the scenery - perhaps a good opportunity for the children to 'unplug'... I'm assuming wifi will be sporadic!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hello all

Thank you
Fro5ty
Take it you mean Englandshire half term because half term in Scotland has already started. PLUS we heading for a lock down caused ,I believe by all the gate crashes who decsended on us last time.!!!!!!
Sorry IMV. !!!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Take it you mean Englandshire half term because half term in Scotland has already started. PLUS we heading for a lock down caused ,I believe by all the gate crashes who decsended on us last time.!!!!!!
Sorry IMV. !!!
Most of the visitors left D&G weeks ago. It is only now that cases here are rising, probably due to locals going to the Central belt.
There are lovely places here and a few overnight opportunities. Check out the Aire at Castle Corner, Glencaple nr Dumfries, parking, water and waste; overnight parking in some Forestry car parks, check out Forest and Land Scotland’ ‘Stay the night’. One has toilet emptying facility.
Make sure you are aware of the different rules in Scotland.

Enjoy!

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
Most of the visitors left D&G weeks ago. It is only now that cases here are rising, probably due to locals going to the Central belt.
There are lovely places here and a few overnight opportunities. Check out the Aire at Castle Corner, Glencaple nr Dumfries, parking, water and waste; overnight parking in some Forestry car parks, check out Forest and Land Scotland’ ‘Stay the night’. One has toilet emptying facility.
Make sure you are aware of the different rules in Scotland.

Enjoy!
Is that you Nicola

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Wales is out then.....

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
I wish I'd seen this a coupe of weeks ago as I've just returned with a teen and a tween.

Contrary to what you'll read on here the locals are very welcoming to anyone who behaves responsibly. And most do.

I really hope you are having a wonderful time. If you see this and haven't already and have time the Harry Potter film locations such as Glenfinnan Viaduct will be hit with your tweens.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Been up here all week, no issues at all and everyone has been very friendly.

Even the Forestry Commission parking warden who wasn’t actually a parking warden who wasn’t sure if motorhome classes as a minibus or coach or car, who knew machine was full and not working but couldn’t empty or fix it. She wasn’t sure we could park there but we could if we paid the higher rate that we couldn’t pay because the machine was broken. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

I have said before, we all need to be sensible and carry on, Covid isn’t going away and it has been heartbreaking seeing all the places shut because of it.

Glencaple and Castle Corner are amazing! An example to others of the positives of welcoming motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back