Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Well it had to happen eventually, I suppose, just got back from a great trip to Wales with weather more fitting May, but on the A487 Machynlleth to Aberystwyth road the offside mirror took a heavy thwack from Mr White Vanman who did not see the need to slow or move left on a narrow section.

Too late for incriminations, he didn't stop, and even if he had would probably have blamed me or claimed 50/50.

The result is my offside mirror body has a crack, the indicator lost a small part of the lens at the bottom, and the lower mirror was totally dislodged, with the mirror and motor left only connected by the wires.

I wonder if any Forum member has experience of carrying out repairs to a mirror? I wonder if the crack can be reinforced by repairing with a sealant or even hot glue if it will bond from the inside. (Not even sure how to get the good mirror off yet). Are the indicators available seperately? The motor mount for the bottom mirror has three lugs all sheared. Could resin glue or hot glue restore that?

Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and shell out between £250 and £300?

Steve

Attachments

• X250 mirror.jpg
    X250 mirror.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 46

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I think probably your last line is the only way. Hot glue is pretty useless for anything that is less than totally static (i.e.; not subject to any sort of vibration), but I'm sure an armchair expert will be along pretty soon to offer an alternative.

::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
These model suffer with these quite badly, had them in quite alot when I worked at citroen. What you have to look for is the hidden damage.

Peel back the rubber boot and carefully examine the two very thin, very weak cast arms...they usually break, and will need a new mirror - or it will flop about, or vibrate.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
All parts except main body available as spares from Fiat, replaced both mirrors and indicator last year.
Steles.

Kartracer2003

Free Member
Mar 31, 2011
somerset
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years
mirrorguard

Well it had to happen eventually, I suppose, just got back from a great trip to Wales with weather more fitting May, but on the A487 Machynlleth to Aberystwyth road the offside mirror took a heavy thwack from Mr White Vanman who did not see the need to slow or move left on a narrow section.

Too late for incriminations, he didn't stop, and even if he had would probably have blamed me or claimed 50/50.

The result is my offside mirror body has a crack, the indicator lost a small part of the lens at the bottom, and the lower mirror was totally dislodged, with the mirror and motor left only connected by the wires.

I wonder if any Forum member has experience of carrying out repairs to a mirror? I wonder if the crack can be reinforced by repairing with a sealant or even hot glue if it will bond from the inside. (Not even sure how to get the good mirror off yet). Are the indicators available seperately? The motor mount for the bottom mirror has three lugs all sheared. Could resin glue or hot glue restore that?

Steve

Hi Steve

saw these[HI]<edited by admin>[/HI] at chepstow show they look very good.
[HI]<edited by admin>[/HI]
Cheers

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Bastards !!!!

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in Scotland, only the van took my mirror completely off !!! Imagine driving all the way home with Kay at the back being the mirror !!!
So I had to bite the bullet pound wise !!!

My sympathies are with your bank balance !!! Stephen.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for that, an interesting concept. I was quoted £264.11 (incl VAT) from Platts Garage in Longton, Stoke for a replacement unit, with a possible 10-12% trade discount.

For the moment, I have refixed the bottom mirror motor mount and hope that it is rugged enough to take the bumps and rattles to be expected. A crack in the body could be covered by the Mirror Guard.

I will email them and see what their offer is. Always a bit scary, though, when they don't even hint at the price on the website! They do say a fraction, but 19/20ths was a fraction when I was at school.

Steve

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks for that, an interesting concept. I was quoted £264.11 (incl VAT) from Platts Garage in Longton, Stoke for a replacement unit, with a possible 10-12% trade discount.

For the moment, I have refixed the bottom mirror motor mount and hope that it is rugged enough to take the bumps and rattles to be expected. A crack in the body could be covered by the Mirror Guard.

I will email them and see what their offer is. Always a bit scary, though, when they don't even hint at the price on the website! They do say a fraction, but 19/20ths was a fraction when I was at school.

Steve
So that makes that wingmirrorman a bargain at £100 complete!:thumb:

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
If wingmirrorman could have supplied me a mirror for £100, or the link he provided to www.partsgateway.co.uk had been able to do the same, I would have snatched their hands off.

I have had a response from mirrorguard, the company suggested by Kartracer, who have offered to supply them at the Shepton Mallet show for £99 per pair, white or black, or for an additional £25 for colour. No mention of delivery and would really have liked to look at them before making the decision, but no way are we going to be anywhere near Shepton Mallet for next weekend.

Steve

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Mirror

Steve
see this 4 hrs to go on e bay:thumb::thumb: Alan

Link Removed

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for the pm - did spot it and different part number unfortunately.

Steve

Kartracer2003

Free Member
Mar 31, 2011
somerset
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years
Mirrors

Hello Steve
There are pictures of the [HI]<EDITED BY ADMIN>[/HI]
Cheers

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks for the pm - did spot it and different part number unfortunately.

Steve
Hi Steve its a pity you didnt live nearer him so you could compare! according to a friend of mine who is a really good fitter on MANN lorries and fiats ,citrons mercs etc ,most of the mirrors made for fiats are exactly the same but the wiring is slightly different for different makes ,. But all part are interchangeable ,and wiring although different colors do the same job and can be matched up.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If wingmirrorman could have supplied me a mirror for £100, or the link he provided to www.partsgateway.co.uk had been able to do the same, I would have snatched their hands off.

I have had a response from mirrorguard, the company suggested by Kartracer, who have offered to supply them at the Shepton Mallet show for £99 per pair, white or black, or for an additional £25 for colour. No mention of delivery and would really have liked to look at them before making the decision, but no way are we going to be anywhere near Shepton Mallet for next weekend.

Steve

That's strange! I just went on, added mirror to basket and it popped up with £106, and the painting/payment/delivery options for the full mirror.

How bizarre!

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I think the options we are looking for are different. I need the "long arm", "electric", "heat" and "indicator" and he could not supply that. With the indicator, they were all "short arm".

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back