Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
sore subject with many i know , but our10 years old bessy e745 with 30k miles now under her belt was due a cambelt for peice of mind while being serviced , was the cambelt ok , yes perfect , were the tensioners ok , no they had major pitting from where the engine had sat unused for months at a time ( must of been before we got it at 7 years old with 16k miles, while in we found the front crossmember had corroded so new one fitted , apparantly common fault on the fiat, now all serviced and ready for easter long 2 week trip next friday, ready now as has been a long busy year already , we are all off to legoland this weekend , wonder if they glue it together !!!

credit to garage i used as professional and very sensible prices , both of the owners are main dealer served and major mh biased mechanics:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wise decision - when i was doing recovery work, there were as many cam belt tensioner failures, as snapped cambelts - in fact probably slightly more common.

Make sure you do water pump too!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
previous owner probably did it on the cheap and only replace the belt...and not the tensioners. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
previous owner probably did it on the cheap and only replace the belt...and not the tensioners. :Doh:

I don't think so - he'd only done 16,000 miles in seven years so probably never even replaced the belt never mind the tensioners, but plenty of stationary 'down' time in between.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think so - he'd only done 16,000 miles in seven years so probably never even replaced the belt never mind the tensioners, but plenty of stationary 'down' time in between.

:Eeek: A 10 yearly belt change.....pushing it somewhat as they should be replaced every 4 years or so on a ducato.

Robin did say the belt was perfect so i stand by my conclusion :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
mechanic says it looked like the original , but i am surprised original owner didnt replace it , confused by spater as crossmember is below engine and didnt need grinding off as unbolts ??????
still all now done and away soon

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
mechanic says it looked like the original , but i am surprised original owner didnt replace it , confused by spater as crossmember is below engine and didnt need grinding off as unbolts ??????
still all now done and away soon

I have no doubt it was the oriiginal ! I used to know many owners who didn't bother changing the cam belt at the recommended time interval but relied instead of the Fiat recommended mileage interval - as I recall 70,000 miles. But not many now after I told 'em of a friend of mine whose belt went at 13,000 miles and exactly six years - immediately after it had passed its MoT. It cost him over £1k to have the engine rebuilt. The previous owner of your Bessie probably thought it wasn't necessary to change it at such a low mileage. He was lucky - it could have been an expensive mistake!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back