Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
As newbies to the M H F website and relatively new to motorhoming abroad we were wondering if anyone has any tips on touring in mid
Germany. We're travelling to The Hook Of Holland and hope to pick up where we left off last year in Holland at Arnhem and follow the Rhine southward. We would appreciate any help with sites, itinerary or not to miss places en route. As I said we are new to Germany and would appreciate any help.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi

No sure how far you intend to go down into Germany last year our first trip with an mh to Germany we went down to Fussen home of king Ludwigs castle and stayed at a campsite called camping Hopfensee just outside fussen fantastic location we had a pitch overlooking the Hopfensee (lake) towards the german side of the Tirol stunning especially in the morning with sun rising over the mountains

Hired some bikes and cycled along the lake into fussen itself well worth it if you are going down that far

All the best
Gary and Cathy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When planning your trip don't forget their tourist board - Link Removed :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We stayed in Germany black forest area 3 years ago and also drove through it on way to Lake Garda last summer. It is a wonderful place with loads to see and do you could try the romantic road haven't done it but meant to be lovely. We bought the stellplatz book and really worth the money.(its stopover places for MH's mainly free) It might be in German but once you have a few looks at it it becomes easy. We visited Ulm down towards the Austrian border and would recommend it.
Stayed at Stuttgart also and had a day out at the Mercedes Museum even if your not that into cars its an awesome day as my 13 year old daughter told me after it even though i had to drag her there.
We sent for brochures from the link Jim has put on and loads off great info was sent so have a look at it and ask for anything you need they will send it free of charge.
Any more questions feel free to ask

Gerry

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Gerry,

Did you have to go through Austria to get to Lake Garda, cos we have an RV we will have to get a go box, have heard verying stories about how tom get 1 and how much you pay so a bit of a nightmare at the mo

Sheila

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we are new to Germany and would appreciate any help.

Most important .. buy and WEAR these ...:thumb: :roflmto:

Link Removed

Don't forget the large beach towel to 'bag' your place at the pool :thumb::Cool:

Link Removed

on a more serious note, this book is invaluable.. all the Germam Stelplatz .. (Aires)

bordatlas2011_medium.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sheila.

We didn't have to go that way just wanted to as we had never been to Austria before or that part of Germany. We didnt buy any just paid at the toll i asked the man if i needed one he said no our mh is under 3.5t and only 6.2m so dont know if that is why. On the way back the police where pulling loads over at the border so we though we would get pulled but they just waved us on so i assume it was for passport checks.

Must say we loved Innsbruck and the campsite we stayed at was great.

Gerry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi there,
We have been to Germany several times over the past 4 years meaning more than 6 months in all and most of the country explored. Only stayed on campsites a few times (for major laundry and if nowhere else) using Stellplatzes the rest of the time. The Bord Atlas is the book to help you plan stops. We always allow for stops to be changed, usually for one much closer hence the time we have taken to explore the country. Last 9 week trip was mainly to mid and South Germany. Mid Germany you have the Main river and it has much more rural vineyards and villages where everyone is a vinter, than many places, it still has the barges on it but it looks far too small for them. Good cycling too. We went down the Romantische Strasse. The place not to miss, if in that area, is Rothenburg Ob der Tauber on that route (though there were places that would have been really lovely but shadowed by Rothenburg) a stunning place stuffed with Japanese and American tourists but great anyway. Avoid the local snack called Schneeball, it tastes like pastry that has spent a week being rolled and re rolled in a busy childrens nursery. Dinkelsbuhl was also really nice. Do as Jim says and get some stuff from the German tourist board.
Ultimately, I would say, just enjoy Germany! Do not rush here and there with your I spy book of Sights. Take your time and take it all in. A great country. And HUGE!! We will be back.
Jane :Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The Rhine, Mosel and Arr are our favorite areas - we found the German people very pleasant and courteous and only too keen to help - if you try and speak their language you will find they all speak English and will help you to speak German.( if you don't some will not bother) Bags of things to do no matter what the weather. Use the river buses instead of the car some of them run a commentary on the local area in english - check this as you board.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Some great stell platz along rhine we traveld along last year Bern castle kues was lovely.:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I agree with Bobandjane about Rothenburg Ob der Tauber and the Schneebal. Having a sweet tooth I was really looking forward to eating it but I would have been better off drilling 3 holes in it and using it as a bowling ball.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back