Punctures and more Punctures...... (2 Viewers)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Got a puncture after about 5 miles today, first for over a year. Swapped the innertube for my spare and off I went again. A mile later the wheel was flat again. I found a small piece of glass stuck in the outside of the tyre. It was being pushed through while I rode the bike hence me not feeling it when I changed the first innertube. Fortunately I had a puncture repair kit so stuck a patch on both innertubes, fitted one and off I went. No further problems but headed home. So only 10 miles today......

Flat.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had one in Mrs funflairs bike last week, tube out a blew up nothing, put it back and pumped up and flat in about 1 minute, took it out and into bowl of water found nothing, put it back and pumped it up and flat in 1 minute, turned out to be a little nick around the valve stem so cut a hole in a patch but glue had dried up so used evostick and some duct tape, pumped it up and OK to get us into town to a bike shop that shut 10 minutes before we got there, spare tube machine outside shop as its Germany but wanted coins and we had notes, two days later the bodged tyre was still OK but we got a spare anyway and I changed it keeping the old spare as a spare as it is half the weight/size of the new one.

All good fun, at least it wasn't raining.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Got a puncture after about 5 miles today, first for over a year. Swapped the innertube for my spare and off I went again. A mile later the wheel was flat again. I found a small piece of glass stuck in the outside of the tyre. It was being pushed through while I rode the bike hence me not feeling it when I changed the first innertube. Fortunately I had a puncture repair kit so stuck a patch on both innertubes, fitted one and off I went. No further problems but headed home. So only 10 miles today......

View attachment 431752
At least it was a front so no fiddling with the derailleur & no greasy hands. (y)

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
as i have a real hatred of punctures, i now only buy inner tubes with removable cores and put 50mm of Stans sealant in the inner tube (road bike), only one puncture that was unsealable in 4 years, last time i replaced the tubes i found 4 punctures that had sealed

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
New bike. Puncture proof tyres fitted. 👍🏻👍🏻

First ride out Sunday. Got puncture 😡. Fast ride to shop half hour before they shut. Pay for an idiot to fit new self sealing inner tube. By the time he had fitted it, noticed other was now flat. 😡😡😡😡😡😡. Back in shop. “Not sure we’ve got time” ehhhhh. It only takes 5mins to fit new tube. I beg. Yes if you take wheel off. My wheel is held on with one bolt. Ok Says I. Second tube fitted. Then cycle home. Wash bike down. Rear tyre flat again. They’d pinched the tube fitting it 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
For people that dont like taking the rear wheel out, you could consider an open ended tube. Never used one myself but looks a good idea.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Taking the rear wheel off is the easy bit. In fact, perhaps oddly my rear wheel is easier to release than the front as rear has quick release by design but for some reason best known to the manufacturer front wheel axle is secured by allen key bolting.

Getting the tyre to release from the rim is the real pain in the hands, arms, and everywhere else. My e-bikes tyres seem to engage with the rim and the force needed to be able to get a disengage so you can get tyre levers in is stupid. Apparently the rims are tubeless ready, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes. Tubless rims seal the tyre on to the rim, the same as a car tyre. So bead is harder to break than a standard tyre. Also the tyre has metal cords around the inner edge.
I’m going to bin my inner tubes and go tubeless. Fed up with punctures. Going tubeless uses sealer inside the wheel, and are apparently very good.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our son always had punctures at this time of year on his way to collage.
It took us a while to figure out why this time of year. He thought it was some one at the college messing about letting his tires down. It was pure chance I happened to see council trimming the Hawthorns along the cycle path to the college before the winter.
Changing his route solved the problem.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Tubeless in my MTB better ride lower pressures needed, Havnt carried a pump or spare tube for years .
Top up the Stans no tubes every 6 months or when I remember.
You do need the proper setup though.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yes. Tubless rims seal the tyre on to the rim, the same as a car tyre. So bead is harder to break than a standard tyre. Also the tyre has metal cords around the inner edge.
I’m going to bin my inner tubes and go tubeless. Fed up with punctures. Going tubeless uses sealer inside the wheel, and are apparently very good.
Like Off da Grid i switched to tubeless.
Did it 4 years ago.
Had one puncture that affected a ride & that was caused by a sharp rock that put a 3mm slit in the side wall. The Stans liquid & beads sealed it & I could continue the ride.
At home, I chose to use a tubeless puncture repair kit on the tyre carcass but that could’ve been belt & braces.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Like Off da Grid i switched to tubeless.
Did it 4 years ago.
Had one puncture that affected a ride & that was caused by a sharp rock that put a 3mm slit in the side wall. The Stans liquid & beads sealed it & I could continue the ride.
At home, I chose to use a tubeless puncture repair kit on the tyre carcass but that could’ve been belt & braces.

Stans liquid, and a new pair of valves waiting to be fitted this weekend. Definitely appears to be the way to go, but also feels so wrong. Bikes have inner tubes.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Went tubeless 6 months ago, no punctures, 6000km between us, before changing over I experienced too many punctures, mainly riding in the UK on road and trails that had hedgerows cut, those thorns know how to cause problems...

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Get your local bik
How much Stans liquid are people putting in their MTB tyres?
Get your local bike shop to do it.They will have the right kit to do it. You do have to have tubeless tyres as well as tubeless rims though. And to seal the tyre they use a compressor. It is a bit fiddly doing it yourself. think mine cost about twenty quid.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Get your local bik

Get your local bike shop to do it.They will have the right kit to do it. You do have to have tubeless tyres as well as tubeless rims though. And to seal the tyre they use a compressor. It is a bit fiddly doing it yourself. think mine cost about twenty quid.

I’m not letting my local shop touch my bike.
They tried to hang my bike via the dropper seat post in a clamp, and failed, then took over 40mins to fit a new rear inner tube into a tyre, pinching it in the progress. My wheels only have an Allen key bolt through them.

I will do it this weekend and about 100 grams I think. More appears to be better than less.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How much Stans liquid are people putting in their MTB tyres?

Think I've got around 90ml in mine but it tells you on the instructions how much for each tyre size.

If you use a track pump you can buy an auxiliary tank.
You fill that to around 70 psi and this helps to seat a new tyre if you haven’t got a home compressor.

Although you can always go to a filling station to seat the tyre.

It can be a fiddle the first time you do it but after that it’s easy.

Tubeless is the way to go 👍

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
What happens with the gunk in the tyre if you leave your bike unused for a couple of months. Do you risk it solidifying in one part of the tyre? Ignoring costs of setup, is tubeless really something for those who are using the bike frequently?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
What happens with the gunk in the tyre if you leave your bike unused for a couple of months. Do you risk it solidifying in one part of the tyre? Ignoring costs of setup, is tubeless really something for those who are using the bike frequently?
That;s a good point.
After a 10 week period of inactivity, I didn't notice my MTB wheels being unbalanced.
If you're an infrequent user will you notice an imperfect load in the tyre?

I use Stanz and that is quite a running liquid with beads being the main 'repair' part.
But I'd not notice the small margins of imbalance due to solidifying.

The maintenance problem I think I have with Stanz is evaporation over time. Not clotting. I could be wrong. One day I'll take the tyre off again instead of just topping up the liquid when I can't hear sloshing :)

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Another vote for Tubeless here but switching over can be costly if your rims aren't compatible. I use a normal track pump and aux tank - very simple process 👍

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
These (https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/race-tires/gator-hardshell) were recommended to me by a cycling coach.

His reasoning was "would you rather be repairing lightweight tyres or carry on cycling on ones that are slightly heavier". I changed got these and had no issues with punctures...yet😀
That's a good point. I haven't done anything about tubeless conversion on my road bike.

I did assume we were all on about MTB tyres.
It is - touch wood - quite rare I get a puncture on my road bike. Though I remember flint chips on some roads I used being an issue.
I only have good words for my experience with: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-folding-road-tyre

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Another vote for Tubeless here but switching over can be costly if your rims aren't compatible. I use a normal track pump and aux tank - very simple process 👍

I use just a track pump at home & carry a co2 pump (& regular pump) for on the trail or road.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Didn't have any problems whatsoever in going tubeless....my rims and tyres were tubeless ready....our bikes came with tubeless valves in the assembly kit....so tubes out and Stans liquid in.....inflated with track pump....maintained a good seal from the off and continue to be trouble free....

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
And the internet will have DIY help on going tubeless with regular tyres & rims but how well that can go for you is outside of my own comment & knowledge.

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Tubeless is a good idea but.......

On my gravel bike I will be swapping the tyres regularly. Smooth for road use and treaded for off road use. It would be a right pain having to wash out and refill sealant every time. As I will take the gravel bike away on the MH with us this could be 5 or 6 times a year.

This is my first flat in over a year with the Gatorskins on my road bike. Think I can cope with an innertube swap that often. It's not as if I have to go cycling....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back