Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've lost confidence in my dealer but want to ask you if I'm being unreasonable. Let me explain.

Prior to taking delivery of my new Sunlight PVC I asked the dealer to supply & fit :

• as much solar as can be accommodated on the roof. For your info here's a picture from the web of the roof of an identical model van.

FB_IMG_1595568379921.jpg

• a MPPT solar regulator

• a B2B (subject to him checking if the Euro 6 van might have come factory fitted with one)

• install only a second matching leisure battery (which I have sourced from a fellow Funster).

The replies were:

• "The maximum solar panel that will fit is a 130w panel, providing you are not looking to add a satellite TV system or habitation air conditioning unit in the future." The c'van is supposed to come with a satellite as standard but I let that pass...

• "MPPT is not possible as there is nowhere to secure the larger control unit in the Sunlight, as it requires sufficient ventilation."

• "The battery to battery system is not something we have ever done before, and would not be able to fit that currently as we would need time to look into it."

• "We would be unable to fit a battery that we did not supply as it means we take on liability for the product and as we did not supply it we can’t cover it sadly".

Admittedly I have little experience of these things but said I'll look elsewhere, which in practice will be a couple of businesses recommended to me through MHF.

I found the response very disappointing for a long established franchised dealer with a good reputation and which I'm buying a new campervan from, but am I expecting too much?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry,can’t answer all the questions but ref the last two:

I can understand that if they’ve never fitted one before,they’re not keen. They are basically saying they do not have enough knowledge without doing a lot of research.

The battery answer is normal and I guess the only way they might do it is if you sign some sort of disclaimer saying that if it fails that’s your problem,not theirs.

Others with more knowledge will be along soon,I’m sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
It is common for businesses to refuse to fit goods not supplied by themselves and also to be reluctant to fit equipment that they have not fitted before eg the B2B. They have explained why and they make no profit on the goods only the labour but become liable for any warranty or remedial work.

They probably have plenty of other work on so don't need to take on unnecessary risk. It seems most dealers have more than they can cope with. Whether they deserve it or not is another matter!

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I think that you have made the right decision.

The roof could clearly take a larger panel than shown in the photo and I would suspect that is at least a 130w panel. There would also be room the aft side of the skylight for a small one.
An MPPT controller is no bigger than a PWM one and there should be no problem with ventilation if thought is given to this.

I get the impression that they don't want to do the work - hence the comment about the B2B. This mirrors comments on other threads that some (many?) dealers are trying to get away with the minimum. At the end of the day it's best to vote with our feet.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any second hand battery is an unknown risk regardless of where you sourced it. Fit an older battery combined with the brand new one and any fault with the older battery will directly affect the new one. For instance, if one of the cells fails it can kill both the batteries but not always

The MPPT controller is little different to the older standard as far as ventilation goes. If there is physical room, another panel can be added, it does not have to have the identical capacity to the currently fitted one. You may need to upgrade the controller though to match the total solar capacity

Battery to battery systems on the new euro6 vans can cause issues, so will need an expert to install or at least a phone call to the manufacturer to confirm the program and wiring configuration. Not a simple fit and forget

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
I have a 6.36 Fiat Van with 80cm Sat Dish & had 230W of solare fitted no problem. So the Dealer is talking out the back of his/her orifice. :giggler:

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
If you have your extras fitted elsewhere you may invalidate any warranty.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That puts me between a rock and a hard place, but thanks for the warning.
After the service you’ve already had I wouldn’t hold out on warranty work...

welcome to the great British dealer....🙁

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Surely you're not questioning the extended warranty thrown in when the purchase was 'negotiated'? 🤔

And I thought it a crude ploy to ensure I kept returning for servicing 😄

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The roof is rather inconveniently laid out to get much solar on there. The rooflights are in just the wrong place. You might just get 260W if you're lucky.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Not if they are professionally fitted with the paperwork to validate that claim. The dealer cannot refuse your legal rights or their obligations under contract

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That puts me between a rock and a hard place, but thanks for the warning.
IMV it really depends on what the item being fitted is and if it is done correctly. I've fitted my own solar panels etc on new MHs/campers and never had any questions asked when I came to ask for warranty stuff to be carried out. Unless the work done can be shown to have caused an issue that you then try to claim for under warranty (eg install a roof aerial and don't seal it properly so it lets water in) then they would be hard pushed to deny your claim.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The supplied photo doesn't show a van with satellite setup that the OP is suggested to get. If unlucky that will get plonked right in the midst of the biggest empty space. So much for all the area that could be solar.

I've had plenty of mods made to my PVC. I have had them done professionally. It would be anticompetitive to invalidate warranty just because you wanted to make a modification. Dealers and manufacturers can't prevent you from fitting aftermarket kit. All they can do is say that bit isn't done correctly and if they say that is the bit that caused the fault on which you are claiming, then then can refute that claim, not the whole warranty.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I know you’re getting your van from the same dealer as we got ours, you’ve asked far more technical stuff than we did.

In relation to the leisure batteries, we asked for two. Instead of the brochure 95’s they put in 2x110’s. The 130w solar panel seems to be working well, even in these overcast days.

Not sure about the layout on the roof, but ours looks tidier that a lot I’ve seen.

The Xzent Media Unit is very good. Had to do updates once collected, but seems a good unit so far.....you can even set the size of vehicle, which we weren’t expecting.

Only missing thing was it should have had electric folding mirrors......not sure what happened there.

I’ve had the paperwork through for the extended warranty. Years 3, 4 and 5 are covered by a RAC Policy.

Got a collection date yet?

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Got it yesterday!

It happened in a bit of a rush, at my request, fearing another lockdown.

I'll probably buy the Fiat extended warranty but need to speak with a Fiat Professional dealer becaue the mh dealer seemed vague...

We're missing the satellite dish and 22" TV featured in the brochure, which the dealer said nobody else collecting an XV special edition had mentioned 🤔 but he is investigating with Sunlight. We will go over it more closely today.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm booked into Roadpro for my upgrades (solar etc.) and when I have news I'll provide an update on the new Sunlight section.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
In my experience brochures often show "extras" in photos and there may well be some small print somewhere to that effect.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
In my experience brochures often show "extras" in photos and there may well be some small print somewhere to that effect.
Agreed, that is a good point, although in this instance the missing items aren't just pictured but are also mentioned in commentary for the special edition model, itemising what is on top of the standard spec, so I'll hold out for what was advertised. I expect it won't come easily.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Got it yesterday!

I'll probably buy the Fiat extended warranty but need to speak with a Fiat Professional dealer becaue the mh dealer seemed vague...

We're missing the satellite dish and 22" TV featured in the brochure, which the dealer said nobody else collecting an XV special edition had mentioned 🤔 but he is investigating with Sunlight. We will go over it more closely today.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm booked into Roadpro for my upgrades (solar etc.) and when I have news I'll provide an update on the new Sunlight section.

If you go for the Fiat extended warranty you will need to act fast (14 days I think). I had trouble registering on the Mycamper website. I rang up Fiat, nice man in Italy called Joe got it sorted for me.

Enjoy. (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The dealer does not want to dot it.
Go elsewhere.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Agreed, that is a good point, although in this instance the missing items aren't just pictured but are also mentioned in commentary for the special edition model, itemising what is on top of the standard spec, so I'll hold out for what was advertised. I expect it won't come easily.
Well, to close this thread, Sunlight have refused to provide the items advertised by not delivered in my camoer. They admit a mistake in the brochure and cite the small print to avoid my claim. As a gesture of goodwill they I was offered Sunlight branded jackets for my and myself. I treated that with the contempt it deserved and ignored the offer.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Re solar panel, they will use one supplier and if that supplier only has one size that will fit thats what you will get offered.
Re MPPT controller, Again maybe their supplier only sells a bulky one.
Besides, you need to do research, all MPPT are not equal, surely you want one you specify.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Got it yesterday!

This has to be done within the first 2 weeks of registration, Fiat wont do it after this time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back