Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Advice required please. Last week end visited a CL site 80 miles away from home arrived at 6.30 set up turned on blow air heating and a few led lights
after aproximatly 45 mins I noticed that the batterys were showing 12.3.I know that the fan on the blow air uses about 1-2 amps but this reading alarmed me I have two 110amp elecsol batterys only 1 year old and solar panels to 170 watts I checked the terminals on batters and they are fine
would any one have any advice as Im totaly lost when it comes to electricals/batterys.:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi

Advice required please. Last week end visited a CL site 80 miles away from home arrived at 6.30 set up turned on blow air heating and a few led lights
after aproximatly 45 mins I noticed that the batterys were showing 12.3.I know that the fan on the blow air uses about 1-2 amps but this reading alarmed me I have two 110amp elecsol batterys only 1 year old and solar panels to 170 watts I checked the terminals on batters and they are fine
would any one have any advice as Im totaly lost when it comes to electricals/batterys.:thumb:

It would be a help if you told us what happened next, batchpatch ... what happened 'after approximately 45 mins'? Presumably you didn't abandon the trip and return home? Did you finish up without any power for the rest of your stay or did everything continue to work OK despite your worry over the 12.3v reading?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In our RV, the heater fans would really hammer the batteries, I would look at our battery monitor and panic thinking that we would be out of juice in a few moments, very often the monitor would then stick at the low reading of say 12.3 and continue to work well. Then 20 minutes after the heating is switched off the reading would recover and the batteries would then climb back up to 12.6 or so before the solar panels could get to work on them in the morning.

I know nothing about electrickery, but maybe its difficult to get an accurate reading when batteries are under load.

Hi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What does not help is that most on board voltage read outs are connected well away from the the actual battery(s).

So what I hear you ask !

Well with current being drawn over a long (ish ) run or barely 'up to it' wire, you get a false reading.. A couple of points seems to be about the norm.. So your 12.2 reading might actually have been 12.4 ( or even more ! )

Yes, I know that things should not ne like tghis, but with everything built to a price instead of a need nowadays, I am afraid it does happen, and happen often.

Oh and as Jim said, the fans do give the battery one hellova hit !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Squire says it would be a help to know what happened next. The volt meter in our van is fairly rudimentary and will often read around 12.3 when something drawing power (e.g. water pump) is switched on. Once it is switched off, though, the meter goes back to showing 12.5 or more.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Yep ours is the same both on the van panel and the solar regulator. Same as when charging batts show 14.4 when not charging 13.4/5. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

batchpatch

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

After the 12.3 reading I turned the heating off and went out. On return 2-3 hours later the reading had recovered a little to 12.5
Regards
Batchpatch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back