Thule Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm looking for a bike rack ( selling trailer) and rather than buy a yankee model was looking at THULE 9403 RIDE-ON BIKE CARRIER that clamps onto the tow ball .. does anyone have any experience of this type of mounting.. or can suggest an alternative ?

I

I'm Spartacus

Deleted User
Jim,

I have used a similar bike-rack for years, it doesn't look as cumbersome as the Thule, but it will carry two bikes, I think it is a paddy hopkirk, but I will have to check. It cost me £27.00 about ten years ago.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think I saw Lyndon with one of those in Spain this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Hi ScotJimland

The design of the rear panel of my new van means it would look pants with a traditional Fiamma type bike rack, so after much research and talking to a few owners, bought a Thule Euroway 945.

The mutts nuts. Surpringly easy to lift and fasten onto tow ball, locks on securely and does the job. Plus tilts down to make loading the bikes easier if needed. The built in number plate holder and full road legal lighting is an added bonus.

As long as you aren't exceeding the towball weight limit I'd definately recommend.:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi ScotJimland

The design of the rear panel of my new van means it would look pants with a traditional Fiamma type bike rack, so after much research and talking to a few owners, bought a Thule Euroway 945.

The mutts nuts. Surpringly easy to lift and fasten onto tow ball, locks on securely and does the job. Plus tilts down to make loading the bikes easier if needed. The built in number plate holder and full road legal lighting is an added bonus.

As long as you aren't exceeding the towball weight limit I'd definately recommend.:Smile:

Cheers, I'll have a look at that one too :thumb:

I

I'm Spartacus

Deleted User
Cheap and cheerful, does the job

Link Removed

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I transport bikes to various races all over the country and use a Thule rack which is tow ball mounted. It is now over 7 years old and still does the job perfectly and I regularly travel at 80mph+ for many 100s of miles. The newer ones are relly good with better fixings etc including locks to keep the bikes safe. At races most people use Thules with many Mountain bikes costing over 3K theses days who can blame them.

Do yourself a favour and stick with the best, you wont regret it.

Richard...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I transport bikes to various races all over the country and use a Thule rack which is tow ball mounted. .

Hi Richard

Just checking,
it is tow ball mounted not tow bar mounted you refer to ?

And they don't slide or slip on the ball ?

Cheers
Jim

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes Jim mine mounts direct onto the tow ball. It locks with a key as well so can not be taked off once on. If you corner really fast (Golf GTI at the time on very twisty roads in the Yorkshire dales) you can get it to move a little bit but belive me you wont with an RV..:roflmto:

BTW. they can not slip down to the ground they can only move left/right.

I have a freind with a newer one than mine and we can put 3 bikes on it in less than 2 mins and drive of. The lights are protected as well so you dont break the lenses when you take the rack of, most chepos lights are easy broken. The coppers also seem to be taking an intrest in bike racks with lights missing / not working these days.

All Thule gear is top notch and lasts for ages, and you can sell it for good money if you are finnished with it.

Richard..

Last edited:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I always try and buy the best for the job ... if it falls off I know who to blame..

The only way it will fall of is if you put 3 motorbikes on it mate....:ROFLMAO:

Mind if you have chepo bikes they weigh a tonn...but if you always get the best for the job you will have these.

Link Removed :thumb:

Richard....

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mind if you have chepo bikes they weigh a tonn...but if you always get the best for the job you will have these.

Link Removed :thumb:

errr not cheap bikes, but not £4k s worth :Eeek:
Jan's is a Dawes tourer, I had a Dawes too but it got nicked in Spain :cry:.. so I bought a lightweight Canadian mountain bike :Smile:

Jim

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Jim Buy one! That simple. I bought one this July to carry the bikes as I had started towing a Terios on an A frame (one of the new 100% legal ones) and couldn't use my old RV bike rack.

Excellent, easy to mount the bikes, easy to take off and the bikes don't move!

I should like to take credit but one of our customers had the same requirements and came in with it all set up so I simply picked his brains and got the same positive response.

Bought mine from Halfords for £99.00 as this was cheaper than I can buy them trade:whatthe: from Thule (Omnistor)

The only picture that I have is of the rack on the car on the Winnie at Ben Nevis
(Sorry about the fat bloke and the sulking teenager in the picture!:winky:

Attachments

• IMGP1982a.jpg
    IMGP1982a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 31

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Richard you said
you can get it to move a little bit but belive me you wont with an RV..
I found the only time it moved at all was when I had to overtake those funny underpowered caravans stuck on the back of of flat bed trucks! You know, Swifts, Autotrails, Hymers That sort of thing :ROFLMAO: :winky:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

I found the only time it moved at all was when I had to overtake those funny underpowered caravans stuck on the back of of flat bed trucks! You know, Swifts, Autotrails, Hymers That sort of thing

It was not the speed of the RV I was questing but the ability to turn corners at speed...:Smile: Hymer 1 RV 0?:winky:

Just remember what worn the big race of the season at Top Gear....:ROFLMAO:

hides for cover now......

Richard...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back