‘‘Tis the Mushroom Season Yay. (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Check out this bad boy, Presently on a site near Dersingham, out walking and came across this beauty Parasol Mushroom about 7 inches across, very good eating apparently. 🤗🤗 Very tempting fried in butter and garlic 🤪🤪
E145C3C7-BBC6-4DA7-8FDE-0E2A17DFED8B.jpeg
58FDDE95-7141-4D4A-A091-975D2FBB57AE.jpeg
890C4830-51AD-4629-A633-1398CB27552F.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They are good eating and can also be dried although that would be difficult to do in a MH. I use the oven at home with the temperature turned down to 50C for a few hours - after slicing them thinly first.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Lovely.. but why ruin it with garlic?
My opinion as well, always makes me laugh when you see these TV chefs say how nice such and such thing is, useually some sort of obscure fish, then procede to drown it in all sorts of herbs and spices, onions, garlic, and all manner of stuff so the original taste of whatever it was just tastes like everything else that's been drowned in the same stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I came across these a couple of day ago. I am fairly sure they are Velvet Shank which are described as "edible" in my book.*

PXL_20200930_134130838.jpg

But I've been caught out by this description before. Something may be edible, in the sense of safe to eat but this doesn't mean it is enjoyable to eat. I may revisit these and collect a few to try - after being very sure of the identification of course.

* Mushrooms by Roger Phillips - a very comprehensive guide with good illustrations.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I came across these a couple of day ago. I am fairly sure they are Velvet Shank which are described as "edible" in my book.*

View attachment 429914

But I've been caught out by this description before. Something may be edible, in the sense of safe to eat but this doesn't mean it is enjoyable to eat. I may revisit these and collect a few to try - after being very sure of the identification of course.

* Mushrooms by Roger Phillips - a very comprehensive guide with good illustrations.
i have hundreds of those growing in my hedge here. have for a few years . mine came out three days ago. i have never eaten them, have looked in books and on line but decided better just look at them and leave them to grow. is tempting though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i have hundreds of those growing in my hedge here. have for a few years . mine came out three days ago. i have never eaten them, have looked in books and on line but decided better just look at them and leave them to grow. is tempting though.
Always safer!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
At least you can be fairly sure that they might only make you fairly ill. ;)

I have a (now very dog-eared) copy of his excellent 'Wild Flowers of Britain' illustrating over 1000 species. The best of all my wildflower reference books.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Our local woods has a good supply of parasols, which no one picks but me. If you fry them, be aware that a lot of water comes out - just keep on until they dry up and dry properly, when they are delicious. Great in an omelette too.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I had a bit of a fright a couple of years ago when I has symptoms which made me think I had eaten Destroying Angel which has a mushroomy smell and peelability like a mushroom which some think, incorrectly, is a good indicator of being edible.

Although causing many fatalities this deadly fungus has no known antidote. The symptoms start several hours after ingestion with severe vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pains and can last for a few days; this is followed by what seems to be a full recovery for a few days but ending in death from kidney and liver failure. The main poison, alpha amanatin, kills liver cells and passes through the kidneys to be recirculated and cause more damage.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I used to pick mushrooms from the common in front of where I lived on Gower, it was a race between myself and the farmer across the road as to who got them each day.
All good hearted of course, we were friends, I even had a bantum cockerel named after him.:mm:

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had a bit of a fright a couple of years ago when I has symptoms which made me think I had eaten Destroying Angel which has a mushroomy smell and peelability like a mushroom which some think, incorrectly, is a good indicator of being edible.

Although causing many fatalities this deadly fungus has no known antidote. The symptoms start several hours after ingestion with severe vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pains and can last for a few days; this is followed by what seems to be a full recovery for a few days but ending in death from kidney and liver failure. The main poison, alpha amanatin, kills liver cells and passes through the kidneys to be recirculated and cause more damage.
At least you would have been in good company. Destroying angel is thought to have killed the Emporor Claudius although some sources think it might have been the Death cap what did for him. Or perhaps the toxic enema he was "treated" with. :)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I used to pick mushrooms from the common in front of where I lived on Gower, it was a race between myself and the farmer across the road as to who got them each day.
All good hearted of course, we were friends, I even had a bantum cockerel named after him.:mm:
I picked some mushrooms on the gower peninsula once. After eating everything seemed more colourful 😊

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
At least you would have been in good company. Destroying angel is thought to have killed the Emporor Claudius although some sources think it might have been the Death cap what did for him. Or perhaps the toxic enema he was "treated" with. :)
Although it wasn't that particular poison I probably was in good company as I suspect it was a Wetherspoons Breakfast.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I picked some mushrooms on the gower peninsula once. After eating everything seemed more colourful 😊
I know where there is a field there with 'that kind of mushroom' growing, the family who own it often found zonked out bodies laying about there, I wonder if you were one of them, you didn't find them anywhere near Rhossili by any chance did you. :giggler:

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I know where there is a field there with 'that kind of mushroom' growing, the family who own it often found zonked out bodies laying about there, I wonder if you were one of them, you didn't find them anywhere near Rhossili by any chance did you. :giggler:
Lol no i never had that many!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

I seem to get high when I go to Rhossili - but it's definitely not the mushrooms 🙂

DSC06209.JPG

DSC06205.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back