BT Openzone/BT Fon (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi, has anyone any experience of using Openzone from their home location for any length of time in respect to its reliability,speed etc.The reason I ask is I have a friend with no land line and limited success with dongles but she has a reasonable signal on her Network list for Openzone which means she can definitely connect to it?Of course BT wont say yes or no but do say this is becoming quite common practise.
Thanks, Paul.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I believe you need to be a BT broadband customer to join BTopenzone/fon so there seems no real need to access openzone from home if you already have bt wireless access . I am on BT broadband and recently opted in to openzone. It does mean that your BT wireless hub is then open to use by other members, securely I was assured.
I have an Iphone and have an app for BT openzone, its amazing just how many access areas there are.
Haven't been on long so can't say how worthwhile yet

Larry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As Larry said, you need to be a BT Broadband customer to access their Openzone network. Openzone is normally found in public places such as bars, coffee shops, airports etc. So you will have your own hub and wi-fi at home already, so you would not use it at your home address. It's designed to give access when you are out and about. As a BT customer you can log in.

The FON part is when you use other peoples wifi to connect. As a BT customer if you opt in, you agree to other customers being able to access via your hub, so effectively you are all agreeing to sharing. They also have agreements with other telecoms operators around Europe and the world. I have the BT Fon app on my iPhone. I recently have connected with it in France and Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
if someone who is a bt broadband customer is willing to share their email and password with her then yes she would be able to log on to bt fon /openzone network and use it ( as long as they are registered for the fon /openzone) with out having to be a bt customer

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Openzone.

I believe you need to be a BT broadband customer to join BTopenzone/fon so there seems no real need to access openzone from home if you already have bt wireless access . I am on BT broadband and recently opted in to openzone. It does mean that your BT wireless hub is then open to use by other members, securely I was assured.
I have an Iphone and have an app for BT openzone, its amazing just how many access areas there are.
Haven't been on long so can't say how worthwhile yet

Larry
I have checked and you dont have to be a BT Broadband member to use Openzone you just buy vouchers or subsciption on line.Apparently you are routed through Bt Broadband customer secured routers or use designated hotspots.At £12.99/month unlimited use it seems a pretty good deal when you check the coverage.Apart from the speed (which is fine for browsing and emails) there appears to be few draw backs.Like you say I thought it was limited to BT customers.
Regards Paul.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I also think there is a fair usage policy. I think the idea is its used for BT customers on the move for occasional use. Not as a permanent connection.

Why doesnt your friend just get a line and broadband from BT? Cheap as chips these days.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
as said if she gets someones email and password she could log in for free. if she does pay and logs on via someones hub what happens if they go on holiday and switch it off she will have no internet.

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
I also think there is a fair usage policy. I think the idea is its used for BT customers on the move for occasional use. Not as a permanent connection.

Why doesnt your friend just get a line and broadband from BT? Cheap as chips these days.

Looked at that, the line installation is free but the broadband package with free phone calls plus line rental is £41.60 a month,so £12.99 still appeals with the roaming facility. Apparently Openzone started as BT customer only thing but now is open to anyone.As I understand it, the latest generation of BT routers, even when secured, allow this.The fair usage policy is pretty liberal from the conversation I had.Hopefully this is one of the first steps towards a free broadband connection for everyone,or am I being a bit of a dreamer!!:RollEyes:

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We are BT broadband customers and signed up for BT Fon \ Openzone.

It came in very handy when BT decided to re-route the overhead cables to our house underground and forgot to connect them!!! We were without a land line and home broadband for several days - managed to survive with mobiles and Fon \ Openzone access :RollEyes:

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
We are BT broadband customers and signed up for BT Fon \ Openzone.

It came in very handy when BT decided to re-route the overhead cables to our house underground and forgot to connect them!!! We were without a land line and home broadband for several days - managed to survive with mobiles and Fon \ Openzone access :RollEyes:

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back