Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
We are off to the Yorkshire Dales today for our 2nd outing in our motorhome (1st went great).

On future trips though we will be taking our bikes and they are a couple of expensive ones as I used to be a serious mountain biker (before age and the beer gut slowed me down).

Any tips on security of bikes on the back rack - ways of locking them, alarms, bringing them indoors when parked up, covering them etc. Basically the best ways to stop some grubby little thief from riding off on them.

I'll be back on the forum sunday night when were back from our little trip.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
You need to do everything you would do if you were leaving them on the street unattended.
Front wheel off, seat pin and saddle off, anything removable taken off and locked up properly or taken inside the van.

I would also change the bolts fastening the rack to the van - there are only two normal nuts and bolts securing ours (but nobody would want to steal ours, anyway. :roflmto: ).
It would take about twenty seconds to remove the rack and the bikes and throw it all in the back of a rusty Transit!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with thehutchies .. but, if they want it they WILL take it ..

Despite motorbike security chain and strong padlocks I've had two expensive mountain bikes go walkabout .. and had a saddle nicked .. quick release fittings are a scrotes delight ... :Angry:

Take the advice I was given: If you take expensive bikes [HI]don't leave them on a rack[/HI] .. keep them inside.. if you can't do that, leave them at home and buy a couple of rusty bedsteads for vanning.. If you don't do that it is only a matter of time till they are nicked..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Agree with Jim, leave the expensive bikes at home and just buy a couple of usable but not desirable bikes to get you around. You can buy em from second hand shops or ebay for £20ish :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Its disgraceful that we cannot use our toys after buying the best for ourselves just to stop them getting nicked:Sad::Sad:
I didnt realise that the bikes were not safe on a rack we always lock them on that and thought that they were as safe as houses.
We might have to think of bringing them in when we tour france then?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Its disgraceful that we cannot use our toys after buying the best for ourselves just to stop them getting nicked:Sad::Sad:
I didnt realise that the bikes were not safe on a rack we always lock them on that and thought that they were as safe as houses.
We might have to think of bringing them in when we tour france then?

Expensive bikes are very desirable and have a ready market ..

I lost one from an aire in France and another on a site in Spain .. The saddle was stolen while parked at a supermarket during the day and we were in the RV. Never heard a thing.

I don't think the risk is any greater abroad than in the UK.. While we were at a rally at Billingate Aqudrome, the next van from us lost TWO bikes .. and another van lost a sat dish on a tripod..

Sadly, it's the world we live in , if they are desirable bikes, provided you have space take them in at night.. whether here or abroad.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Would you think of leaving a £ 1500.00 60 inch plasma screen tv on a lightweigh aluminium rack secured with a padlock on the back of your motorhome??

No, me neither but thats exactly what your doing leaving an expensive bike on the back of the motorhome, there is no difference to a thief they are both easy to knick and easy to sell :Angry:

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The first thing I done when I bought the MH I have now was to take off the bike rack and fit the attatchment bars inside the rear garage, now the bikes in the garage and secure.

One of the best uses of MH's with garages.

Doug...

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The first thing I done when I bought the MH I have now was to take off the bike rack and fit the attatchment bars inside the rear garage, now the bikes in the garage and secure.

One of the best uses of MH's with garages.

Doug...

Always thought the same:thumb:

Winne doesn't have a garage as such but some decent sized lockers so we bought a couple of those Pyramid folding bikes and two fit in one of the big lockers, well pretty much fill it but it means they are better secured and out of the elements, and it doesn't cluter the back of the van:ROFLMAO::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
and out of the elements, ....

yes indeed,

they get filthy traveling on a rack, sand and grit gets into the gears and chain.. a real heartache if it's your pride and joy ..

A garage is the answer... :thumb: bike racks .. :thumbdown: good for hanging towels on to dry :winky:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well in defense of the Yorkshire Dales (as I live there) its not like Manchester, Birmingham or London.

Not sure where you are going but I can safely say if you left your bike outside in our village unlocked all weekend it would still be there on Monday morning.

I would have thought a simple lock through the wheels would be enough to deter the opportunist. They wont get knicked when your in the van off the rack as there is no way they could take them off without making a racket.

I wouldnt worry about it up here to be honest. Worst thing that could happen is somebody might borrow one to get home from the pub. They will probably bring it back in the morning though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back