Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Hello All

My wife has decided that it should be Devin & Cornwall that suffer us and the dogs this summer.

I feel sure there must be someone or a collaboration that can recommend a nice tour for 7-10 days to catch most of the sites worth visiting. By sites we mean the natural ones not the stately home type of thing. Basically to see the beauty of this area.

We particularly like wild camping so recommended sites for this would also be welcomed.

Are there any motorhome travel blogs of this area?

Biggles

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
what time of the year are you planning on

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
July August :cry:

Hi, great time of the year to go down there......................... :winky: If your a member of the C & C Club there are a lot of temporary holiday site running down there then.:thumb: No need to book just turn up. ::bigsmile: Bob.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
just looked at your self build blog WOW respect:thumb: may have a go myself at some point as cant see where the next twenty grand or so to upgrade is coming from, a good read thanks

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
just looked at your self build blog WOW respect:thumb: may have a go myself at some point as cant see where the next twenty grand or so to upgrade is coming from, a good read thanks

Why thank you. ::bigsmile:

That was a walk in the park compared to the boat I'm building:Cool:

Biggles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Bump

Hello All

My wife has decided that it should be Devin & Cornwall that suffer us and the dogs this summer.

I feel sure there must be someone or a collaboration that can recommend a nice tour for 7-10 days to catch most of the sites worth visiting. By sites we mean the natural ones not the stately home type of thing. Basically to see the beauty of this area.

We particularly like wild camping so recommended sites for this would also be welcomed.

Biggles

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We did Devon and Cornwall twice recently. First time was last January and then September. Its a great place. We also like wild camping but didnt bother as much as there are loads of great CL sites which are also really cheap down there with good views.

Ive just finished our website. Have a look at the Blog and Wiinter 2009/2010 and Southwest Tour 2010 both feature Devon and Cornwall

www.hankthetank.co.uk

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hello All

Biggles

From my experiences down there watch out for very narrow roads and high hedges, be prepared to have to drive up enbankments to allow oncoming traffic to pass and remember to move your mirrors in and allow for your wind out awning.:cry:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Following on from the last post ,beware the hedges are really granite walls covered in greenery and if you are worried about a few scrapes and scratches on the bodywork keep away from the smaller roads. Apart from all this I think you may find wild camping a bit difficult .but good luck and enjoy.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Well I tried to post the otherday and lost the link so here goes - Come off the M5 at J24 and head out on the Minehead Road through Minehead and head for Oare then go down into Badgeworthy water - This is Lorna Doone country where R D Blackmore was brought up - although it was all fiction it is a great walk out and you can follow the map and if you know the book you can see all the features that formed the basis of the Novel right down to the remains of the Medieval Village where the Doone's lived - a good day out and a fantastic walk for the dogs certainly worth a day of your holiday - from there head for Lynton and Lynmouth - lots of history and places to walk and look at visit Watersmeet - depending on your interests you could spend two days around this area - next move onto have a quick look at Coombe Martin and Ilfracombe - if you time it right I think there is a Victorian theme going on in July / August - look for Wildmans post on this - possibly think of a trip to Lundy Island for a day out - Well so far you have only touched on the fringes of Devon and you have probably used up 4 days of your 10 so time to move on past a lot of interest and head for Clovelly - a preserved village with interesting history which is well explained - worth paying the entry fee and you again can easily spend a full day in the area - if the weather is good some very good cliff walks here after that head around the coast road and go for Tintagel - known for its connections with King Arther and all the legends if you are into that but beyond that there are some really beautiful walks around the coast area and of course nearby is Boscastle which most people know now for the disaster there - general interest and some good walks - by now you have only touched Devon and Cornwall and you are 6 days into 10 so you need to decide west coast, south coast, Lands End or head inland to Bodmin Moor - many a good tale told of Bodmin Moor - a bleak and forboding place somedays and bright and welcoming on others - some really fantastic walks on there BUT always take a map always take a compass and warm and waterproof coats - the weather on Bodmin can change from shirt sleeves to two overcoat weather in an hour - where ever you go on the south or west coast you can take your choice on walking /site seeing or history all the way around - there are some of the oldest Stone age an Bronze age remains to walk around - coastal and moor land walks and industrial history to look at. Also some of the oldest harbours - semi tropical gardens etc - 10 days you will find is only a taster - we have been touring Devon Dorset Somerset and Cornwall for 45 years now and still find places we never knew about. Enjoy and go back again and again

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
head for Oare then go down into Badgeworthy water - This is Lorna Doone country where R D Blackmore was brought up - although it was all fiction it is a great walk out and you can follow the map and if you know the book you can see all the features that formed the basis of the Novel right down to the remains of the Medieval Village where the Doone's lived - a good day out and a fantastic walk for the dogs certainly worth a day of your holiday

Wonderful report on my favourite l part of the country, we know it well having rented cottages down there over the past 40 years. We now plan to do it all again in the motorhome but wonder what the access is like to Oare with a 7m vehicle. I remember the packhorse bridge and the ford, will we have any problems there off season, is the tea shop still open and I spotted some camping there on google maps, do you know anything about that? :Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
If you go into Oare from the Porlock end then you have to negotiate Robbers Bridge which is quite difficult so would always suggest you go from Lynton side - easy to work out from a map - have never camped over there but yes there is a campsite there open in the summer only as I understand it - a good car park as well. As far as access for the larger vehicles you need always to bear in mind that Artic's service the farms in the area so if they can get there then so can you. If you follow one of them at any time you will find the generally travel at 15 to 20 mph max around those roads. Tea shops as far as I know they are still there and very welcome after a day walking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back