MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi Any dealing with these anybody Link Removed

RAY?

U

ukrv

Deleted User
I notice Mercury state they can provide FULL Insurance for Fulltimers and give a number of 0800 096 8304

Doing a Google shows the number is for SafeGuard.

So, do SafeGuard do real FULLTIMERS insurance?

Paul

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I notice Mercury state they can provide FULL Insurance for Fulltimers and give a number of 0800 096 8304

Doing a Google shows the number is for SafeGuard.

So, do SafeGuard do real FULLTIMERS insurance?

Paul

NO!!!!!! Absolutely NOT! :-(

the best you will get from Safeguard is..........
[Quote ]"yes, we'll insure your RV and its up to you how much you use it, but if you actually tell us that you LIVE in your RV, we will not"m [unquote]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Oh dear, if what you state is correct Zaskar (and I have no reason to believe otherwise as I havent found a fulltime insurer yet) then this is another professional RV dealer who doesn't know what they are promoting (or claiming).

When you have a limited amount of info on your website, you really should ensure that info is correct.

It really doesn't give me confidence when dealing with these people.

Paul

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Oh dear, if what you state is correct Zaskar (and I have no reason to believe otherwise as I havent found a fulltime insurer yet) then this is another professional RV dealer who doesn't know what they are promoting (or claiming).
When you have a limited amount of info on your website, you really should ensure that info is correct.
It really doesn't give me confidence when dealing with these people.
Paul

RIGHT!!!!! THAT does it!
This REALLY P's me off. I'm SICK of being lied to by UK RV dealers. I know they've gotta make a living but the amount of LIES they are getting away with is just not on!
I'm off to write a snotty e-mail to Mercury!

U

ukrv

Deleted User
:ROFLMAO:

"calm down dear - it's only a website" ::bigsmile:

Paul

PS Let us know how you get on with your email :ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Right! Update!

Just used that number and spoke to Safeguard. Needless to say, they said NO WAY JOSE!!!!! No surprise there then! :-(
Told them all about Mercuries claims (they'd never even heard of Mercury ARV American Motorhome Insurance Package) and said they'd be contacting Mercury to have the false information removed from the web site.

On top of that, cos I'm SEEEEEEEEEEEETHING!!!!!! :-(

Just sent this to Mercury. Lets see what happens!

Dear Sir /Madam.

Following a link on the motorhomefun.co.uk Forum, I came upon your web site.
On the opening page of your site, I note a link to Fulltimers Insurance and a telphone number for Safeguard Motorhome Insurance. I happen to know, as I am an existing customer of Safeguard, that they do NOT provide Fulltime insurance for ANYBODY in ANY make/model of motorhome what so ever. To this end., I contacted Safeguard this morning and made enquiries re your web site claims.
Safeguard were extrememly surprised at this information and re-iterated that they will NOT provide Fulltime cover and will be contacting yourselves and the creator of the web site to have this erroneous information removed from the site.

Although not yet fulltime myself, it is my long held wish to do so but cannot find cover anywhere, I do know of people who ARE currently fulltiming. They are honest, decent people, some of whom still work hard for a living, who just happen to prefer an alternative lifestyle. They are, after many years of hard work, extrememly upset and frustrated to be seemingly classed as Gypsies by society, buisness and the beaurocratic system of this country and I therefore find it extrememly annoying when I see mis-information given out on web sites like yours in the hope of boosting interest and profit.

OP
OP
Adria 5

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi the question still stand any body bought a motorhome from mercury?:winky:

ray

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Mercury Arv Insurance

Good morning all, It is correct the member contacted us about the insurance, I found the email rather abusive and was not in anyway exactly factual. Rather than as he suggested we just put this on the website in order to make money from you all, we actually were contacted by the representative from Safegaurd to assist with RV owners insurance needs. I should point out Safegaurd IS NOT US. Also rather than just trust what we were told, we contacted Safegaurd as a possible customer, we gave them my details and they quoted me for FULLTIME insurance, so to the man who said we are just trying to con you all, get your facts straight please.

I am sure most of you have the idea of Fulltime insurance wrong, you cannot disappear of the face of the earth and expect insurance. You need to have an address somewhere, unless of course you wish to give up things such as: Pension, Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Passport, Mobile Phone, Voting Rights, Medical Assistance and of course Insurance, it is illegal to be a vagrant, and that is what you would be if you do it the way you suggest. Perhaps the people who have complained have not thought this through to it's conclusion. We only did this to help, now we get accused of trying to con you!!! If you need it explained to you, I am still happy to help. I do know of only one other insurer who offers fulltime insurance, the quote from them was in excess of £3,500 a year, your choice. We are only trying to help, don't shoot the messenger!!! Kindest regards, Simon@mercuryarv.com

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Mercury Arv Insurance

Good evening again all,

I have been in contact with Safegaurd again today for clarification on this matter, in the light of what they have said and not said I think it safer to say we will remove the link to Safegaurd for the moment. I can swear to you all, if this turns out to be incorrect about them offering Fulltime insurance, I will be looking to them for bringing us into disrepute. As I said, I checked with them personally to obtain a quotation, I hope I do not find they have lied to us or you on this matter, I WILL let you know what the outcome is. Kindest regards, Simon@mercuryarv.com

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Safeguard Insurance

Hi Simon from Mercury

After reading your first response to the issue of Safeguard full timers Insurance - I was so incensed that I determined not to reply to you - or ever come near your premises - after all, there are some of us who have been deep in correspondence with these Insurance Companies for upwards of 4 years in trying to get a proper full-timing Insurance.

We are not trying to disappear into the wide blue yonder, we are quite happy to give a bricks and mortar address where we might be contacted BUT what we do not want to have to do it tell lies about our status of full-timing.

Then along comes bright young thing brand new to the business - telling us we haven't thought this thing through properly.

Simple answer - check your facts before you open your mouth!

Dick

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Good Grief. Although I own a Euro and do not fulltime, I browsed the thread seeing mention of Safeguard, who I have used for insurance for a few years now. I just couldn't believe what I saw from Mercury RV- so being a "vagrant", to which I take it he is referring to the homeless, is now "illegal", is it? And what law, Simon from Mercury, is "broken" by someone being homeless and having no fixed address?? The fact that bank accounts, credit and all that will be a problem for such people certainly does not make them criminals, which is what lawbreakers are, by definition!!!

I was astonished by the, er, nonsense I read in mercuryrvs last posting, and Dick, I agree - the tone is rather "this young thing knows far far better than all you old t"""ers out there!!!!" All a bit obnoxious, I thought. And now the unfortunate homeless are breaking MercuryRVs law as well and are criminals by virtue of the fact that they have no fixed abode!!! Rubbish, is what I say!!

Laurie:Angry:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi wouldn't be so bad if he could actually spell "Safeguard"

Still give him his due, he did come back and admit he might be wrong.

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
C'mon guys he's trying to correct his error.

Better than most would do:winky:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just add this: In legal terminology, a person with a source of income is not a vagrant, even if he/she is homeless

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Safeguard

My ranting days are over - too long in the tooth to keep it going for more than a few minutes!

Just as an aside, I have offered Safeguard two complete A4 pages in the new Guide totally free of charge - to explain their philosophy on RV's and fulltiming - an offer that they have graciously taken up and which I am waiting for even as we speak. I will publish it on here just as soon as I recieve it. :Smile:

Dick

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Full Timing Insurance

My ranting days are over - too long in the tooth to keep it going for more than a few minutes!

Just as an aside, I have offered Safeguard two complete A4 pages in the new Guide totally free of charge - to explain their philosophy on RV's and fulltiming - an offer that they have graciously taken up and which I am waiting for even as we speak. I will publish it on here just as soon as I recieve it. :Smile:

Dick

Good evening all,

Obviously I have upset you all with the comments, so sorry. What I was attemepting to explain was that SAFEGAURD (sorry for the spelling mistake, wish I was perfect like others) have had many calls from people who are living in their RV, they did not have a fixed address, as such in law they are of No fixed Abode, as I understand it that would make someone a vagrant (in old English law) as such.

I know that lots of you have been looking for insurance that will cover you when you are fulltiming as it is called, as such I spent days calling all brokers and insurers to try to find one who would offer cover. I spoke to and left our number with all of them when eventually I found Safegaurd. They called me back and the new business representative (Ian Scott) contacted me and STATED they could offer it as a special scheme for owners and would like to use us in order to get the message across. I did not take this lightly as I then called them as anyone would and asked for a quote. In short they gave a quote for FULL TIME insurance, the only priviso was that we had to be on the electoral roll at a UK address, the motorhome had to be registerd in the UK, MoT'd in the UK and have a valid RFL..........that was it.

The reason for mentioning the vagrancy part was due to the numbers of people who had phoned who did not have a UK address. If that offended you, that was not how it was meant, it was meant to make a point and make it clear. The one thing I have noticed is the number of people who like to put a 'downer' on others, we all make mistakes, and it was for that reason I checked in the first place and did not just take their word for it, could it be that they have had a re think (Safegaurd I mean) on this type of insurance? I can assure you that I did not intend to mislead anyone, after all what would be the point of that?

When I received the email from the individual on this site, the content was not objective, and also insulting, the intention was to help, the allegation was to con you and get money from you all, I AM NOT SAFEGAURD, and the insinuation was offensive. Safegaurd have stated they will come back to me with a full explanation of how this has all gone so wrong, I am not sure I am really interested, I feel they have harmed our reputation and can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Finally, again sorry for any confusion, but I am not sure sorry is enough, if you have lost money directly as a result of your involvement in this, contact me directly, and also thanks for the young thing reference, at least that made me laugh.

Kindest regards, Simon@mercuryarv.com:Blush:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Thank you Simon for your response:winky::thumb:

Would you stay and be an active member on the board?

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Thank you Simon for your response:winky::thumb:

Would you stay and be an active member on the board?

Good evening,

Thank you, I am happy to stay, however it does concern me that some people do seem to have the desire to place others down. I am happy to admit that I have made a mistake, the mistake was to trust what representatives of Safegaurd have told me, the ONLY reason for doing this in the first place was to help. I am aware that many RV owners have to lie in order to gain insurance, the lie is then compounded IF a claim was to be made. I had hoped I had found a solution to the problem, sincerley that is what I had hoped I had done. Quite why Safegaurd told me they could offer this insurance is dubious, I feel sure they will try to justify this to me when they return, but the harm they have done is something that is un worthy of comment.

I came into the RV world with a desire to be of a genuine help to owners and potential owners, I have no desire to rip ANYONE OFF, our advertisment is mainly word of mouth and our work, I do feel hurt that people tar everyone with the same brush, I know as well as most others that a lot of dealers seem to treat the industry as a licence to print money, that is not what we are about. I do have strong morals and a strong belief that helps my life. I may be a little outspoken at times when people point the finger without reason, but we all have failings. I hope in our small way we can assist people, it is not for the want of trying I can assure you. Kindest regards, Simon@mercuryarv.com :Blush:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hello Simon

I am still interested to hear why you

a) feel homeless people are criminals
b)feel people living in their RV s fulltime are "vagrants" and "breaking the law".

and which CURRENT legislation supports your opinion.

I am also interested in why SafeGUARD has been changed to SafeGAURD, apparently deliberately, as the error was pointed out and acknowledged by you. That sort of behaviour does have the appearance of being inflammatory at worst,or delberately annoying at least,( although you have said that you have the best of intentions in assistng others to find a solution to their full-time insurance issues).

If others express an opinion not shared by yourself, I would like to point out that they are not necessarily being offensive or rude in any way - it is of course their right to disagree and to express their opinions without being told they are "putting you down" as you expressed it. None of the postings did so in my opinion - they disagreed with you, yes, and took exception to the arrogant and supercilious tone you adopted in your posting about "vagrants" supposedly being criminals and other rather naive opinions about our full-timer colleagues.

MHF is a fun and informative group, not a group looking to attack others. Your opinions, I am sure, will be welcome here provided respect is shown to others.

You do not have to like someone or agree with them in any way in order to show respect, and you are then likely to be treated likewise.

Regards

Laurie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my opinion, this debate is now at a stage where differences between individuals are best taken to PM. I think this is far better than trying to grind out a victory or capitulation in public.

Anyone who enjoys seeing debates go on and on just have to follow Asprn's postings on motorhomefacts. Fun it is not.

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Simon

Thanks for taking the time to chase this with Safeguard.

I'm sure you will appreciate the "confusion" caused by having the claim on your website - given that so many fulltimers have tried every insurer they could find to get such cover.

You quickly found the problem in finding fulltime cover when you called Safeguard yourself for a quote.

If they do come back to you with a WRITTEN statement as to what their fulltime insurance covers, would you do us all the great favour of scanning it onto your website (maybe even attach/upload etc it onto this website).

Finally, would you ask Scott what a "special scheme" works out as a % premium on standard cover, and what value they will cover upto.

I appreciate that you may not have the desire to follow this thru any more, but would suggest it will go a very long way to offset any negative comments you've encountered. Indeed, your business name will be credited as having sorted the fulltimers insurance nightmare and will probably be mentioned on just about every forum going.

Cheers
Paul

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Good morning,

I think we have exhausted the subject on this, I have made a full apology if what we placed on our site was misleading, I relied on the information given to me by the insurer, and then followed it up with an approach to confirm. Yes I am sorry for trying. Perhaps a public execution will help?

I have also explained the reason for using the term 'Vagrant', that is the term used to describe someone without a home, a term used by the insurer and re told by me, again I apologised for any offence, but I did not say Fulltimers ARE Vagrants, it was peoples interpretation.

I will certainly be waiting for the reply from the insurer, but I know what was said, as such that was why I acted the way I did. I was very pleased when I had found someone to offer the cover we all wanted, imagine how I feel now?

Kind regards,

Simon:Blush:

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Hi Simon
I am a new member is this a wined up or just motorhome fun should I keep my head down.:ROFLMAO:
Paul

Hi Paul,

Firstly welcome!! I am sorry to say that this has got rather out of hand, it is my intention next week to take myself outside and flog myself to within an inch of my life, but I am sure that wil not be enough.

I am trying to ignore the constant onslaught and move forward, hopefully others will calm down and see it the same way. Welcome anyway and hope you enjoy your visits, and have a great Christmas and even better new year.

Kindest regards,

Simon@mercuryarv.com :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
it is my intention next week to take myself outside and flog myself to within an inch of my life,
Simon you are being far to hard on yourself, it is after all the season of good will 60 lashes is more than enough:ROFLMAO:
Merry Christmas and a Pain free New Year
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back