Drinking ban on east side of Loch Lomond (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
JUSTICE Secretary Kenny MacAskill has given Stirling Council permission to introduce a ban on the public consumption of alcohol on the east side of Loch Lomond, from Drymen to Rowardennan.

The new measure makes it an offence for any person to consume alcohol in public spots from June 1.

other measures

Other measures are being introduced as part of a Visitor Management Plan. These include the redevelopment of car parking facilities and verge landscaping to reduce informal parking opportunities.

The camping byelaw will ban setting up, using or occupying a tent: setting up, using or occupying a form of shelter overnight; and sleeping overnight outdoors or in a vehicle. The police will be responsible for enforcing the byelaws with those found guilty of contravention facing fines of up to £500. The byelaw will be reviewed after three years.

Full story

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Once again our "elected representatives" decide that choosing to restrict the rights of the law abiding majority, is the solution to a problem caused by a very small minority.

Straightforward old fashioned policing using the many existing laws we have could reduce and stop these problems, but that would mean investing in Police Officers and Wardens?

That might have a cost implication... so lets just reduce the human rights of all.

That's the Liberal Democrative Society of modern Britain.....

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I don't know the East side of the Loch. So what's so special about it that they have to ban alcohol on that side.....?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't know the East side of the Loch. So what's so special about it that they have to ban alcohol on that side.....?

The East side is where many went to wild camp, fish, walk and climb. It is the 'wildest' part of the loch and IMO the most beautiful .. The road eventually stops so there is no huge volume of traffic ..

The ban has been brought in because of 'wild' parties held by louts and scum who buy cheap camping gear and even cheaper booze.. leave a mess, dump human waste and in general cause mayhem, they don't respect the countryside or others who enjoy the great outdoors responsibly. Wild camping, whether under bushes, hedges, trees, canvass or motorised is also banned.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
terrible shame as I agree it is a lovely part of the country, will give it a miss now. I am glad we visited before the ban. There was no sign of problems when we went to Balmaha in Sept 2009. Everything was clean and tidy, we wild parked for a few days in different places only staying a day at a time. As always we suffer from the actions of others.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Totally agree with jim about the ones that cause this and about east side being very beautiful i also think it could be a different council on the west side not 100% sure just have a feeling.

Gerry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
You never know, they may rebuild Hadrians wall, and keep the English out.

Doug...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Totally agree with jim about the ones that cause this and about east side being very beautiful i also think it could be a different council on the west side not 100% sure just have a feeling.

Gerry

Its all under the Trossacks National Park now Gerry. The local councils have no say in planning matters. The change in the regulations has been made by the Scottish Parliament, as it over rides the law that allows wild camping away from roads and populated places in tents.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi John i did wonder but if you look at Jims post it states the following.

JUSTICE Secretary Kenny MacAskill has given Stirling Council permission to introduce a ban on the public consumption of alcohol on the east side of Loch Lomond, from Drymen to Rowardennan.

The new measure makes it an offence for any person to consume alcohol in public spots from June 1.

I think the drinking ban is seperate from the camping one is it not so it may be council that did one and the TNP the other or am i just reading this statement wrong, which is the more likely :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
terrible shame as I agree it is a lovely part of the country, will give it a miss now. I am glad we visited before the ban. There was no sign of problems when we went to Balmaha in Sept 2009. Everything was clean and tidy, we wild parked for a few days in different places only staying a day at a time. As always we suffer from the actions of others.

They'll regret it & the local traders will complain because even those who DON"T cause trouble will avoid the place resulting in a considerable loss of trade

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They'll regret it & the local traders will complain because even those who DON"T cause trouble will avoid the place resulting in a considerable loss of trade

Why would law abiding people avoid the area ?

I can only speak for myself, but it would make it more attractive to me ..

Pilot schemes in other areas have been a success...

Following a successful pilot in the use of byelaws to prohibit drinking in designated parts of Galashiels, Motherwell and Dundee, other local authorities were invited in 1993 to submit proposals for similar byelaws under powers contained in the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

All local authorities across Scotland have such byelaws, which cover more than 480 towns and villages, together with the built up areas within the city of Glasgow.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Really Who says the authority that imposed them cos theres no one else who will as I doubt the local traders are even asked. Anyway time will tell gve it one summer & see what happens

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John i did wonder but if you look at Jims post it states the following.

I think the drinking ban is seperate from the camping one is it not so it may be council that did one and the TNP the other or am i just reading this statement wrong, which is the more likely :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.

Its me that didn't read it properly. It is this drink plus drugs problem that has led to the camping ban. A good move in my opinion to remove the ability to booze in that area. I could lead to the camping ban being eased if sucessfull.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back