Am i too old? (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had my eye test at the opticians too. £40 IIRC.... Went to the GP for my medical, I too had a BP test (they do that whenever they see me), he read my notes on the screen, Asked a few questions which he must have already had the answers to and signed my bit of paper. £120 thank you very much! You don’t have a lot of option if you want the licence! ☹
I had my eyetest at my optician (Specsavers £10) and my medical done by one of the people truck drivers use - £40.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My optician did the eyesight certificate as part of my annual eyesight checkup - no extra charge. (Annual because I have had a detached retina in one eye)

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
I think that there must be a sensible upper limit
See this article
Hope the link works.
Only 1 question BUYING OR SELLING😨😨

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
See this article
Hope the link works.
I appreciate what you’re saying (ask Prince Philip!) but you can’t put an arbitrary age on when folk suddenly become incompetent... I’m relatively in control of my faculties and passed my unrestricted motorcycle test at age 72.... though I have to admit to recently sticking it under the ar*e of a Vivaro van... I blame the Spitfire and Hurricane that flew over at an inopportune moment! 😂🤣🤪😜

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
If you’re spending £90k on a new Motorhome, then £700 on insurance is cheap!! Snap their hands off! Seriously, accept the offer while it’s there. All things considered you’d be daft not to. I’d always been a named driver on my wife’s policy so when I bought motorhome and registered in my name I had to insure likewise. Over £1000 for £60k unit. Sucked it up as no other choice. You’d be wise to do the same.
There's a thing! I've always had my wife as named driver even though she rarely ever drives the mh. It seems to reduce the cost. Now that i am moving to over 3.5T and she doesn't have a C1, can I still put her on the insurance to reduce the cost? She won't be driving so its not illegal.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Sounds sensible but I think you'll know if you're healthy - at least you'll know more than can be inferred from the five minute blood pressure test I had. I asked my normal optician to complete the eye test section so the 'medical' involved weighing me (only mildly embarrassing) and taking my blood pressure. Literally five minutes. Due again Feb 2021.
My medical at D4drivers cost £55 and the licence was processed by the dvla within 2 weeks.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
There's a thing! I've always had my wife as named driver even though she rarely ever drives the mh. It seems to reduce the cost. Now that i am moving to over 3.5T and she doesn't have a C1, can I still put her on the insurance to reduce the cost? She won't be driving so its not illegal.
Isn't it the case if you have a named driver and take ill and cant drive then you wont get any help as you have another named driver...something like that i think ive read here.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
See this article
Hope the link works.
You'll know when you're not at that limit but I doubt you'll know when you've passed it.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I appreciate what you’re saying (ask Prince Philip!) but you can’t put an arbitrary age on when folk suddenly become incompetent... I’m relatively in control of my faculties and passed my unrestricted motorcycle test at age 72.... though I have to admit to recently sticking it under the ar*e of a Vivaro van... I blame the Spitfire and Hurricane that flew over at an inopportune moment! 😂🤣🤪😜
I suppose the answer is a seriously more rigorous medical/test but it should also apply to everyone under 25....... or maybe everyone every 10 years.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not even Yorkshire
Cheeky!. :giggle:. My Rapido is valued at circa 40K. I renewed recently through the C&MC for £275ish. I too am 76. As for medicals, After paying in to the Social System via N-I and taxes for 50+ years I should think they should be free at the very least. There are much younger folk out there who should not be allowed anywhere near a vehicle.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Isn't it the case if you have a named driver and take ill and cant drive then you wont get any help as you have another named driver...something like that i think ive read here.
Never heard of that, but your named driver might never ever be with you, so probably not true.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would have thought that would void the insurance as you have obtained a 'benefit' by deceit ... if she is legally unable to drive it then her info/driving history etc shouldn't be used to make your insurance cheaper as there is no possibility of her being able to do it.

The cost will be based on the 'risks' which will be based on both of you driving it, no matter how little one of you actually does, because women generally have lower insurance premiums (or they used to!) and probably lower value claims, or even less claims generally using her info may mean you are given you a lower price than if you insured it only in your name ... I certainly wouldn't want to be arguing with the insurance company if you have to make a claim ... they try to get away with not paying out anyway without handing it to them on a plate!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I’m 78 only thing I worry about is getting insurance when I’m 80 the company I’m with said they would continue to insure me if I stay with them and they would not bump up the price. Other companies said they would not insure me when I reach 80 even though I have never had a claim
in the insurance world that makes you high risk on the grounds you must be due one

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Hello folkranger ,im afraid if your wife cannot legally drive your vehicle then she wont be able to be your named driver, but you could always use another relative eh?and dont forget to up your mileage a little :) best regards pampam

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Just saying, I've never been asked either about c1 license or weight of vehicle on an insurance form. Not saying I'd do it.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I would have thought that would void the insurance as you have obtained a 'benefit' by deceit ... if she is legally unable to drive it then her info/driving history etc shouldn't be used to make your insurance cheaper as there is no possibility of her being able to do it.

The cost will be based on the 'risks' which will be based on both of you driving it, no matter how little one of you actually does, because women generally have lower insurance premiums (or they used to!) and probably lower value claims, or even less claims generally using her info may mean you are given you a lower price than if you insured it only in your name ... I certainly wouldn't want to be arguing with the insurance company if you have to make a claim ... they try to get away with not paying out anyway without handing it to them on a plate!
Not saying I'd do it but on the other hand my wife has always been on my insurance, just in case, but she's never driven my car or motorhome. She does drive her own car. Does that not also make it illegal as the insurance risk is based on the belief that someone actually drives?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mel

We have had one MH, our first, for 11 years. If we changed now and had 7 more like you and kept for same time I would be 155 years old!

So I think 8 MHs in 24 yr=ears is a lot. HMRC might think you are trading;):LOL:

Geoff
Hah ...I'd love to see what they'd make of mine then lol.
Since 1990 I've had well over 700 vehicles registered in my name 😂😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just saying, I've never been asked either about c1 license or weight of vehicle on an insurance form. Not saying I'd do it.
I've noticed in recent years that more and more insurers are asking for driving licence info when doing on-line quotes, at present it is optional to give the info but I'm sure at some point it will become mandatory.

Not saying I'd do it but on the other hand my wife has always been on my insurance, just in case, but she's never driven my car or motorhome. She does drive her own car. Does that not also make it illegal as the insurance risk is based on the belief that someone actually drives?
If she's got a licence of the appropriate category to drive your car she could do so if necessary, same as you could drive hers if you are named on her car insurance, but without a C1 she can't legally drive your MH so adding her to the policy would be fraudulent IMV. Having a named (second) driver doesn't mean they have to drive the vehicle, just that they can if they wish.

Does adding a named driver reduce my insurance?
It can, but it’s not guaranteed. Making changes to your insurance policy could always increase your premium cost instead.​
It could save you money if you’re a young driver and you add a parent to your policy, because a more experienced driver has access to the vehicle and may drive it on occasion – this may reduce the overall risk in the eyes of your insurer. It’s worth noting however, an experienced motorist who adds a young or new driver to their policy might see an increase.​
What you can't do is name the person who drives less as the 'main' driver:

Broken Link Removed
What is fronting in car insurance?
Broken Link Removed is when you declare a safer driver as the main driver on a policy even though they’ll be doing less driving, in order to get cheaper premiums. It is considered to be car insurance fraud.is the practice of​
Sometimes parents and guardians will take out a car insurance policy in their own name and let their child use the car in order to avoid paying higher premiums associated with younger drivers. This is illegal – your policy could be invalidated and you could even be prosecuted for insurance fraud.​

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
To add confusion to confusion, consider the following:
We are both named on each other's insurance, although we never need to drive the other's car, but it's a just in case option. My insurance went up once because my wife had been rear ended by this young driver. His company paid up in full but it still counts as my wife having had a (no fault) claim. And then I was penalised because she was named on my insurance. Welcome to cloud cuckoo land.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My mh insurance went up a little bit when I removed swmbo as a driver. She is ok to drive by her licence but has said she will not drive the mh. I removed her from the insurance as otherwise I could not be recovered if I was unable to drive.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
My mh insurance went up a little bit when I removed swmbo as a driver. She is ok to drive by her licence but has said she will not drive the mh. I removed her from the insurance as otherwise I could not be recovered if I was unable to drive.
That’s a bummer... 😡

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Nick and I both drive the van but it always surprises me how many women are still on the insurance and have never once driven their motorhome but are kept on the insurance just in case of emergencies. I think that’s the last time you should suddenly decide you’re going to have a go at driving a large vehicle when you normally only drive a small car to Lidls (insert preferred supermarket).

I’m not a nervous driver and have my C1 and we briefly considered an A class at Highbridge but we’d have to spend a lot on widening the entrance to our drive ( there’s a high bank and we’re too mean). I sat in it and suddenly thought I could just pay and drive straight out onto the M5 which is 3 or 4 miles away without anywhere to practice manoeuvring having only driven a PVC. It made no sense really. When I was young and daft I did drive a double decker bus, a lorry and a tank at the Bath & West show ground for charity but there was an instructor!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Nick and I both drive the van but it always surprises me how many women are still on the insurance and have never once driven their motorhome but are kept on the insurance just in case of emergencies. I think that’s the last time you should suddenly decide you’re going to have a go at driving a large vehicle when you normally only drive a small car to Lidls (insert preferred supermarket).
I wouldn't be happy putting anyone on a policy as a named driver if they weren't capable of driving the vehicle in question, male or female and agree it is silly for those who have their partners/spouses on and they've never driven a MH at all as they are completely different to a car.

When we got severe sunburn many years ago it wasn't long after we'd got a Rimor MH over 7m long, having gone up from a 5.5m one! As I was less affected I had to drive it and although I hadn't driven the Rimor, I had driven our others so knew how to handle it but it was also the first time I had driven abroad. Had I had to do it without any knowledge at all it would have been a bit daunting.

I don't agree with putting another party on an insurance policy just to get the premium down knowing full well that they will never drive it ... as we found out I had no choice but to do so and fortunately could but many would be unable to due to inexperience or fear at the very thought.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp

I’m not a nervous driver and have my C1 and we briefly considered an A class at Highbridge but we’d have to spend a lot on widening the entrance to our drive ( there’s a high bank and we’re too mean). I sat in it and suddenly thought I could just pay and drive straight out onto the M5 which is 3 or 4 miles away without anywhere to practice manoeuvring having only driven a PVC. It made no sense really. When I was young and daft I did drive a double decker bus, a lorry and a tank at the Bath & West show ground for charity but there was an instructor!
I guess, with married (same sex) couples, it’s generally the guy that does the driving. My wife prefers that I drive, simply so she can read en-route! Downside for me is it means I have to do all the waving! 🙄 However, she regularly parks it up on our drive, which is 30mt long and involves l/h and r/h reversing. We also park it in a fairly tight corner for security. My thoughts are, if she can do that, she can drive it at 60mph down a motorway!👍

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Update. Well at last I've changed the MH. Over 3.5 T over £80k and 77 years old. Renewed with C and MH Club for £396. So relieved and I think that will be hard to beat.
You’ve paid over 80K for a 77 year old Motorhome? I think you might have been done! 🤣😂

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
You’ve paid over 80K for a 77 year old Motorhome? I think you might have been done! 🤣😂
I probably was done anyway, these covid prices.
I guess, with married (same sex) couples, it’s generally the guy that does the driving. My wife prefers that I drive, simply so she can read en-route! Downside for me is it means I have to do all the waving! 🙄 However, she regularly parks it up on our drive, which is 30mt long and involves l/h and r/h reversing. We also park it in a fairly tight corner for security. My thoughts are, if she can do that, she can drive it at 60mph down a motorway!👍
My wife let's me do all the driving to free her up for supervising me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back