Am i too old? (2 Viewers)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I hope the OP, at 76 years young, is fit & healthy and doesn't have any eye sight problems that would prevent him from gaining a C1 licence for vehicles over 3500kg. Assume he has grandfather rights.

Before considering upgrading to a heavier chassis, I would first visit my GP/optician for a thorough health check.

Surely you would be prevented from driving anything if your eyesight failed?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Just as a comparison as the OP mentioned me (I assume he's looking at a Carthago) we paid £335 with 5,000 miles on a vehicle that would cost £95k to replace with all the extras (those spec'd when made, added by the dealer and those we had put on). Our ages at the time were 61 and 56.

Location will play a part of course, as will cost of the vehicle but compared to ours it does appear that age has quite a bearing, just as it does with things like travel insurance.

I'd be more concerned about buying a 'heavy' MH that I may not be able to use due to loosing my C1 so that is where my real focus would be regardless of my state of health now - it's assessing the risk of not being able to use it in the future that's the big question ... the hit that would be taken if it had to be sold as it couldn't be used at 3500kg max would be a heck of a lot more than the extra insurance premium. Personally I'd rather have one that I could still use at the lower weight, even if having to travel light, than one that can't be at all. Our Carthago could be run at 3500kg if we really wanted to but it would mean not taking things with us that we want to that give us enjoyment on our holidays ... I don't want to have to choose between my kit (kayak etc) and dogs! :giggle:

The tracker installation cost £300 and we had the choice of either yearly fees or a lifetime subscription for the 'service' which is what we went for and cost £399, so £699 in total with nothing else to pay, we did this as we have no intention of selling it anytime soon so over the years it will mean we'll benefit from cheaper insurance and of course have the reassurance that if our MH gets nicked we can recover it quickly - sod the MH to some extent but with 3 dogs we don't want it to go missing with them in it!

No there aren't, read my above response.
Looking at your avatar and the number of motorhomes you have owned, are you sure you aren't likely to change soon as you've had this one for nearly a year (only joking) :rofl:

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Surely it's by concerning myself with not paying over the odds for stuff like insurance etc that leaves me with enough dosh to buy a better van.
Its a serious piece of kit for £90k. I would imaging the value and any medical conditions you have declared will have a bearing? My mates dad has stopped going to see his daughter in america now hes turned 80 because the travel insurance shot up another £3,000 if he take comprehensive cover out. I would find out if your vsn insurance will shoot up a lot higher in 4yrs as im assuming you will still have it then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
That would be a bummer. Thanks for seeing the point of my original post which is really about age based insurance penalties.

Actually I dropped my c1 at 70 as I went to 3500kg to allow my daughter to drive but now I'm planning to go heavier. I've sent off the D4 form and satisfactory medical some weeks ago and just wondering how long the process takes.

I have always been under the impression that, if you let your 'grandfather rights' go, and drop the C1 entitlement at 70, then you would have to take an HGV test, as well as passing the medical and sight tests, to get it back! Is that not so?

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
At 76, looking to change our 3500kg 2014 Rapido A class for a newer 4500kg 2019 costing £90000. Most companies won't quote, in fact the only one who quoted (Adrian flux ) was over £700 v our current £330.

Tried again saying I'd fit a tracker and got 4 quotes all over £600.

We only do 2500 miles and go for the highest excess and have umpteen years NCD. As others quote lower figures, like Minxy girl, is it simply because of my age?
Mine isn’t worth K90 but I am 75! I researched a bit and in the end went with Caravanguard. https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/moto...T676&sourcebusID=GSITE677&activityID=3NGUISI1

they were far and away the cheapest, least hassle with questions and signing up, and then gave me a Voluntary retrospective Refund after fitting an updated tracker! To date, I can’t fault them.. Remains to be seen if I ever need to claim!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Got to say I've never found a company that is competitive when you stay with them. If you have, please let me know who and how much.

I stay with my insurer because I get 365 days EU and recovery on >3.5t and increases have been minimal.

Geoff

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I'm 80 and still have C1 licence. Last year we sold our Itasca Navion (Winnebago View by another name) and bought a new Campscout. The insurance company we had been with for 8 years without a claim and who have a scaly back animal as a logo gave us a quote of over £1200. We eventually more than halved that but here's the rub. We are coming up to renewal time and the first email we got was one from the scalyback logo lot saying "why not give us a try again this year"? My reply was why would I even bother after being so badly treated (that's the polite version). Haven't had a response so far and I'm sure i will manage to better last years price as it was all done in a bit of a hurry. Not a particularly appropriate response to the first posting but a comment on the total lack of commitment to established customers by insurance companies who seem to believe that customer service doesn't matter. About time they learnt that it does.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you’re spending £90k on a new Motorhome, then £700 on insurance is cheap!! Snap their hands off! Seriously, accept the offer while it’s there. All things considered you’d be daft not to. I’d always been a named driver on my wife’s policy so when I bought motorhome and registered in my name I had to insure likewise. Over £1000 for £60k unit. Sucked it up as no other choice. You’d be wise to do the same.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I have always been under the impression that, if you let your 'grandfather rights' go, and drop the C1 entitlement at 70, then you would have to take an HGV test, as well as passing the medical and sight tests, to get it back! Is that not so?
Actually just got my brown envelope back from the DVLA this morning. C1 reinstated.
Despite dread about corona delays it's only taken two weeks in total.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Its a serious piece of kit for £90k. I would imaging the value and any medical conditions you have declared will have a bearing? My mates dad has stopped going to see his daughter in america now hes turned 80 because the travel insurance shot up another £3,000 if he take comprehensive cover out. I would find out if your vsn insurance will shoot up a lot higher in 4yrs as im assuming you will still have it then.
Fortunately no medical problems to report. It's all down to the value of the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at your avatar and the number of motorhomes you have owned, are you sure you aren't likely to change soon as you've had this one for nearly a year (only joking) :rofl:
We did start in 1996 though ...

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
At 76, looking to change our 3500kg 2014 Rapido A class for a newer 4500kg 2019 costing £90000. Most companies won't quote, in fact the only one who quoted (Adrian flux ) was over £700 v our current £330.

Tried again saying I'd fit a tracker and got 4 quotes all over £600.

We only do 2500 miles and go for the highest excess and have umpteen years NCD. As others quote lower figures, like Minxy girl, is it simply because of my age?
Wh

Tried again saying I'd fit a tracker and got 4 quotes all over £600.ome

We only do 2500 miles and go for the highest excess and have umpteen years NCD. As others quote lower figures, like Minxy girl, is it simply because of my age?do not think anymore about the insurance policy but do it. I am 75 and age never crops into my mind. Go ahead.
When you consider what you are paying for the motorhome

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We did start in 1996 though ...

Mel

We have had one MH, our first, for 11 years. If we changed now and had 7 more like you and kept for same time I would be 155 years old!

So I think 8 MHs in 24 yr=ears is a lot. HMRC might think you are trading;):LOL:

Geoff

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
I stay with my insurer because I get 365 days EU and recovery on >3.5t and increases have been minimal.

Geoff
If you go on Martin Lewis’s mse.com the advice Is to always switch! It doesn’t pay these days to be loyal.... ☹️ That’s not just insurance either. Energy, Broadband, whatever, they’ll all rip you off if you’re too blasé to compare.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I started in 1988 and have only had 4 vans. Just sayin' 😀
Mel

We have had one MH, our first, for 11 years. If we changed now and had 7 more like you and kept for same time I would be 155 years old!

So I think 8 MHs in 24 yr=ears is a lot. HMRC might think you are trading;):LOL:

Geoff
We had an old camper then a self-build conversion (ambulance) and then gradually worked out way up the MH ladder to what we have now, each time the MH suited our needs but when they changed, so did the vehicle.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a 2019 Burstner £83000 fitted with a cat 1 alarm and a cat 6 tracker, camping and caravan club wanted £1050 to insure it, so much for a club for members dearest quote on a like for like from 10 companies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just a reminder to the OP ... remember to check the windscreen cover as some have upper limits which won't cover the cost of an A-class one.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
We have a 2019 Burstner £83000 fitted with a cat 1 alarm and a cat 6 tracker, camping and caravan club wanted £1050 to insure it, so much for a club for members dearest quote on a like for like from 10 companies.
I’d check Caravanguard, https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/.
After informing them of 2 claims in the last 12 months including a total write off (£20,000worth){not me! It was my wife, your honor!} They were £200 cheaper than anyone else, Less questions and then gave me a voluntary retrospective refund after updating my tracker! You also talk to real BRITISH folk on the phone.... that’s how insurance companies should be ! 👍😊

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Got to say I've never found a company that is competitive when you stay with them. If you have, please let me know who and how much.

Well for car insurance was with the RAC for years and years. each renewal did the ring around and they were near enough not to bother.

UNTIL

I moved house, change of address done on line by me, thanks that's £25. OH, you now live somewhere with a Cardiff post code, yes but miles from Cardiff and in a little village. No matter you insurance top up is XXXX but if I cancel and get a refund I can get new insurance cheaper than your change of address and top up fee.

No longer with the RAC. for anything.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I wonder if some companies apparent disintereste in trackers is because the don't stop thefts?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It's cold comfort but my Mum's car insurance (Suzuki Swift - less than 5,000 miles per year) was over £1000 this year. She is 89 and only one company will provide cover.
Sounds like your Mum is doing well, if I get to 89 reckon I will welcome an autonomous car ( they may even be available by then)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I hope the OP, at 76 years young, is fit & healthy and doesn't have any eye sight problems that would prevent him from gaining a C1 licence for vehicles over 3500kg. Assume he has grandfather rights.

Before considering upgrading to a heavier chassis, I would first visit my GP/optician for a thorough health check.
Sounds sensible but I think you'll know if you're healthy - at least you'll know more than can be inferred from the five minute blood pressure test I had. I asked my normal optician to complete the eye test section so the 'medical' involved weighing me (only mildly embarrassing) and taking my blood pressure. Literally five minutes. Due again Feb 2021.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
Sounds sensible but I think you'll know if you're healthy - at least you'll know more than can be inferred from the five minute blood pressure test I had. I asked my normal optician to complete the eye test section so the 'medical' involved weighing me (only mildly embarrassing) and taking my blood pressure. Literally five minutes. Due again Feb 2021.
I had my eye test at the opticians too. £40 IIRC.... Went to the GP for my medical, I too had a BP test (they do that whenever they see me), he read my notes on the screen, Asked a few questions which he must have already had the answers to and signed my bit of paper. £120 thank you very much! You don’t have a lot of option if you want the licence! ☹️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back