Dave1953

Free Member
Dec 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still Looking.
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks for all your replies. It looks more like it's due to the van value than my age. If I buy the van £730 from a. flux is better than 630 elsewhere and having to fit a tracker.
Really, Spending £90k on a new MH and balking at fitting a tracker mystifies me. Take the A. Flux quote of £630 and fit a tracker

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's cold comfort but my Mum's car insurance (Suzuki Swift - less than 5,000 miles per year) was over £1000 this year. She is 89 and only one company will provide cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I hope the OP, at 76 years young, is fit & healthy and doesn't have any eye sight problems that would prevent him from gaining a C1 licence for vehicles over 3500kg. Assume he has grandfather rights.

Before considering upgrading to a heavier chassis, I would first visit my GP/optician for a thorough health check.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Really, Spending £90k on a new MH and balking at fitting a tracker mystifies me. Take the A. Flux quote of £630 and fit a tracker
Nothing mystifying there are ongoing costs with a tracker every year and there are companies out there that will insure without one😊

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I hope the OP, at 76 years young, is fit & healthy and doesn't have any eye sight problems that would prevent him from gaining a C1 licence for vehicles over 3500kg. Assume he has grandfather rights.

Before considering upgrading to a heavier chassis, I would first visit my GP/optician for a thorough health check.

GPs and Doctors conducting DVLA medicals do not necessarily know the criteria DVLA use for pass/fail. They report what they find in the patient and the DVLA decide whether that is pass/fail.

If you look at the D4 form you will not find a conclusion as to whether the candidate passed or failed.

Geoff

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
GPs and Doctors conducting DVLA medicals do not necessarily know the criteria DVLA use for pass/fail. They report what they find in the patient and the DVLA decide whether that is pass/fail.

If you look at the D4 form you will not find a conclusion as to whether the candidate passed or failed.

Geoff

Agree, the health check needs to be related to the more stringent DVLA requirements relating to the C1 licence application and the GP and optician need to be made aware of that.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If the premium varies dependent on the fitting or not of a tracker, it suggests age is not the factor. Rather it is the value of the van and the possible recoverability of it.
I hope you get sorted at a better price than the £700.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I’m 78 only thing I worry about is getting insurance when I’m 80 the company I’m with said they would continue to insure me if I stay with them and they would not bump up the price. Other companies said they would not insure me when I reach 80 even though I have never had a claim

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just as a comparison as the OP mentioned me (I assume he's looking at a Carthago) we paid £335 with 5,000 miles on a vehicle that would cost £95k to replace with all the extras (those spec'd when made, added by the dealer and those we had put on). Our ages at the time were 61 and 56.

Location will play a part of course, as will cost of the vehicle but compared to ours it does appear that age has quite a bearing, just as it does with things like travel insurance.

I'd be more concerned about buying a 'heavy' MH that I may not be able to use due to loosing my C1 so that is where my real focus would be regardless of my state of health now - it's assessing the risk of not being able to use it in the future that's the big question ... the hit that would be taken if it had to be sold as it couldn't be used at 3500kg max would be a heck of a lot more than the extra insurance premium. Personally I'd rather have one that I could still use at the lower weight, even if having to travel light, than one that can't be at all. Our Carthago could be run at 3500kg if we really wanted to but it would mean not taking things with us that we want to that give us enjoyment on our holidays ... I don't want to have to choose between my kit (kayak etc) and dogs! :giggle:

Nearly right. The real extra cost is the extra depreciation over say 5 years or about £15K. But an extra £300 for insurance plus £ 300 for tracker is an extra three grand over five years. Not a small sum.
The tracker installation cost £300 and we had the choice of either yearly fees or a lifetime subscription for the 'service' which is what we went for and cost £399, so £699 in total with nothing else to pay, we did this as we have no intention of selling it anytime soon so over the years it will mean we'll benefit from cheaper insurance and of course have the reassurance that if our MH gets nicked we can recover it quickly - sod the MH to some extent but with 3 dogs we don't want it to go missing with them in it!

Nothing mystifying there are ongoing costs with a tracker every year and there are companies out there that will insure without one😊
No there aren't, read my above response.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here my experiance only a 6 weeks ago so relevant an current
Sold Autotrail Tagg bought Autotrail Tracker. Twice the value I week short of insurance renewal time
Made inquiries re tracker benefits and costs
Interesting results
Insurance 50p yes 50p dearer for twice the value, go figure! Tracker not compulsory.even though already actory fitted and insurance approved.3 year subscription £380
Annual insurance saving with tracker enabled £11 .....YES £33 over the 3 year period.
Conclusion
None of it makes sense.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Back to the OP's question about age.

I am 78 and have been with the same insurers for 4 years and have only had cost of living increases of premium over that period, so I think age does not come into it - yet. Maybe at 80 like travel insurance.

Geoff

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Surely it's by concerning myself with not paying over the odds for stuff like insurance etc that leaves me with enough dosh to buy a better van.
Three years ago with many years over 10+ NCD When we bought our Dethleffs low price @55k our insurance with Vanbitz growler alarm was £668! We live in Cornwall. Age then was 72 and 74 and only 3.5t. Comfort now is around £470 I think

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
At 76, looking to change our 3500kg 2014 Rapido A class for a newer 4500kg 2019 costing £90000. Most companies won't quote, in fact the only one who quoted (Adrian flux ) was over £700 v our current £330.

Tried again saying I'd fit a tracker and got 4 quotes all over £600.

We only do 2500 miles and go for the highest excess and have umpteen years NCD. As others quote lower figures, like Minxy girl, is it simply because of my age?
At 76, looking to change our 3500kg 2014 Rapido A class for a newer 4500kg 2019 costing £90000. Most companies won't quote, in fact the only one who quoted (Adrian flux ) was over £700 v our current £330.

Tried again saying I'd fit a tracker and got 4 quotes all over £600.

We only do 2500 miles and go for the highest excess and have umpteen years NCD. As others quote lower figures, like Minxy girl, is it simply because of my age?
We are the same age, and at £90k value, you really want to be fitting a tracker in any event,
for peace of mind and security, and more choice of insurance companies willing to quote
I am with Caravan Guard ( they really understand motorhomes )
just give them a ring, and speak to an actual person
good luck

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
The only reason I would fit a tracker would be as a condition of insurance. Kept at home my mh is covered by my house alarm and if it gets taken I'm not sure I'd want it back as such.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Back to the OP's question about age.

I am 78 and have been with the same insurers for 4 years and have only had cost of living increases of premium over that period, so I think age does not come into it - yet. Maybe at 80 like travel insurance.

Geoff
Got to say I've never found a company that is competitive when you stay with them. If you have, please let me know who and how much.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Here my experiance only a 6 weeks ago so relevant an current
Sold Autotrail Tagg bought Autotrail Tracker. Twice the value I week short of insurance renewal time
Made inquiries re tracker benefits and costs
Interesting results
Insurance 50p yes 50p dearer for twice the value, go figure! Tracker not compulsory.even though already actory fitted and insurance approved.3 year subscription £380
Annual insurance saving with tracker enabled £11 .....YES £33 over the 3 year period.
Conclusion
None of it makes sense.
I know.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
I've always been amused by the expression that Accountants "know the cost of everything and the value of nothing".

Assuming you can afford to spend about £700 on insurance (the fact that you can afford £90,000 on a MH might suggest that you can?) - how much do you value the, better, experience you hope to have in the new MH?

I'm only 74 - but I've changed my attitude to spending over recent years, based on my assessment of how much longer I'll be able to enjoy traveling (and being hit head-on by a 40 t wagon which wrote the car off.)

Compared to £90,000 - and extra £400 p.a. would be considered a marginal cost - by many Accountants.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Just as a comparison as the OP mentioned me (I assume he's looking at a Carthago) we paid £335 with 5,000 miles on a vehicle that would cost £95k to replace with all the extras (those spec'd when made, added by the dealer and those we had put on). Our ages at the time were 61 and 56.

Location will play a part of course, as will cost of the vehicle but compared to ours it does appear that age has quite a bearing, just as it does with things like travel insurance.

I'd be more concerned about buying a 'heavy' MH that I may not be able to use due to loosing my C1 so that is where my real focus would be regardless of my state of health now - it's assessing the risk of not being able to use it in the future that's the big question ... the hit that would be taken if it had to be sold as it couldn't be used at 3500kg max would be a heck of a lot more than the extra insurance premium. Personally I'd rather have one that I could still use at the lower weight, even if having to travel light, than one that can't be at all. Our Carthago could be run at 3500kg if we really wanted to but it would mean not taking things with us that we want to that give us enjoyment on our holidays ... I don't want to have to choose between my kit (kayak etc) and dogs! :giggle:

The tracker installation cost £300 and we had the choice of either yearly fees or a lifetime subscription for the 'service' which is what we went for and cost £399, so £699 in total with nothing else to pay, we did this as we have no intention of selling it anytime soon so over the years it will mean we'll benefit from cheaper insurance and of course have the reassurance that if our MH gets nicked we can recover it quickly - sod the MH to some extent but with 3 dogs we don't want it to go missing with them in it!

Yes there are. Adrian flux. Same price with and without tracker. Most others want a tracker forover £75k and then £100 saving on Adrian flux so if you think you can run a tracker for under £100 per year, go get a tracker.
Under £75 k its not worth it. Saving say only £20 insurance cost with a tracker.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I've always been amused by the expression that Accountants "know the cost of everything and the value of nothing".

Assuming you can afford to spend about £700 on insurance (the fact that you can afford £90,000 on a MH might suggest that you can?) - how much do you value the, better, experience you hope to have in the new MH?

I'm only 74 - but I've changed my attitude to spending over recent years, based on my assessment of how much longer I'll be able to enjoy traveling (and being hit head-on by a 40 t wagon which wrote the car off.)

Compared to £90,000 - and extra £400 p.a. would be considered a marginal cost - by many Accountants.
Never liked accountants. Nothing personal. I relate to your change of attitude on spending though, however I'd spend more on something that I like while minimising outlay on something which I'm simply forced to buy.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging

Mel, I'm looking at another Rapido. I mentioned you because you've found cheap insurance an a similar value van.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I’m 78 only thing I worry about is getting insurance when I’m 80 the company I’m with said they would continue to insure me if I stay with them and they would not bump up the price. Other companies said they would not insure me when I reach 80 even though I have never had a claim
That would be a bummer. Thanks for seeing the point of my original post which is really about age based insurance penalties.

Actually I dropped my c1 at 70 as I went to 3500kg to allow my daughter to drive but now I'm planning to go heavier. I've sent off the D4 form and satisfactory medical some weeks ago and just wondering how long the process takes.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
This thread is about spent but it was not about baulking at the cost of trackers it was about am I being penalised for my age. The informed opinion seems to be "no" and that the extra cost is due to the value of the mh. Although there could be penalties at 80+

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I'm 78 and have just bought a new van. I didn't give a thought about my age because I don't feel any different to when I was 60 and thankfully, am still quite fit and active... Not quite ready for the 'pipe and slippers' just yet! 🤫 I'm with comfort and paid £460... no tracker!
Comfort seem to want a tracker over £75k

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As I have said before give LV= a shout they can do expensive vans without tracker😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes there are. Adrian flux. Same price with and without tracker. Most others want a tracker forover £75k and then £100 saving on Adrian flux so if you think you can run a tracker for under £100 per year, go get a tracker.
Under £75 k its not worth it. Saving say only £20 insurance cost with a tracker.
I was replying to Speve's comments about the ongoing cost specifically for tracker (ie monitoring), not insurance.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I think you saying you are only doing 2500 miles per annum can actually work against you , and that the lesser miles per year does not necessarily mean cheaper insurance ;) i think 9 - 12 thousand gives you an optimum price, and secondary, drivers can help, and obviously having a second car , works in your favour too ,place of parking, security measures, postcode can be a major factor, it has been known that unscrupulous customers register there motors at a cheaper postcode eg, mums, or sisters etc , best of luck finding one you are happy with , pampam🤓

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back