Relative newcomers to motorhoming. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having just received a Skype call from an old friend in Holland it has just dawned on me that we Brits are relative newcomers to the motorhome scene compared with our continental cousins.
Is it because we are an island or because we don't have as good facilities as them.
When I think back over my years of long haul travel its mainly the Dutch, French and Germans that have pioneered the travel to far flung places of the world.
I know that many have recently visited North Africa from the UK in recent years but the Europeans have seemed to be going there for ever.
Why do you think its taken us so long to get started???.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dunno Dave.. but James Cook, among others, wasn't a 'stay at home' :winky:

My first trip abroad was 40 odd years ago .. France, Switzerland and Spain.. albeit not with a motorhome but camping..

The Dutch are also great tent campers, perhaps due to the cost and restrictions of owning a motorhome in Holland. They still make the very best tents and equipment.

The British were probably slow off the mark with motorhomes due to the initial cost, the normal route was camping then when they could afford it a caravan which they kept until the family grew up, then moving on the a motorhome when the kids flew the nest..

I went to RSA in 1973 with my first family and went camping with a Toyota pick up truck, exploring Kruger National park as far as Mozambique .. using game lodges and a tent.

Back in the UK, in 1979 I bought my first camper, a VW, .. but found it too small with three growing boys so we bought a caravan ... and since then have swung back and forth as needs changed..
I've gone full circle camping again but will probably buy a small caravan and keep it until Chaz leaves us :cry:.. then go back to a camper.. who knows.. whatever we use, it has always been in my blood to travel..

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Dave,

I think it is the water. Somehow a water barrier (can even be a ditch for someone on foot) is not quickly crossed.

Started with a tent in the 60ties, went all over the continent but the first time we visited England was in 2009 !!

For us one exception though, first trip to Scandinavia was in (if i well remember) 1976. Have to admit this might have been because Scandinavia is praised for all kinds of fishing !!

Paul and Ineke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
At first I thought it was because we live on an island, then I thought maybe the fear of driving on the right hand side, then maybe the language barrier.
I know there are the exceptions to the rule like Jim and myself,but that was mainly for work reasons.
What I have noticed for many years is the Germans and Dutch have always been found in campers where there were no Brits at all.
It just made me wonder if they were more adventurous than we Brits on the whole.I know in recent years there has been a huge influx of campers here in the UK and you now see more younger people than you used to see driving them,I think it used to be thought of as an older peoples pastime but now its become more acceptable to the young.
One thing I did notice when working abroad was that there seemed to be more young families in those days with campers in Germany than here.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I remember popping into Praktica (diy store) in werburg and seeing 'off the shelf' camper conversion kits!

Amazing! You just chose your shower room, kitchen area, bed type and upholstery colour - picked the coded boxes and off you went! Fantastic Idea....i was like a kid in a sweet shop!

Incidently - if you pass one of these, £14 buys you the best sleeping bag you will ever own - ever! Mine must be 6 years old, and not a sign of wear, zip never split like UK £90 ones!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I remember popping into Praktica (diy store) in werburg and seeing 'off the shelf' camper conversion kits!

Amazing! You just chose your shower room, kitchen area, bed type and upholstery colour - picked the coded boxes and off you went! Fantastic Idea....i was like a kid in a sweet shop!

Incidently - if you pass one of these, £14 buys you the best sleeping bag you will ever own - ever! Mine must be 6 years old, and not a sign of wear, zip never split like UK £90 ones!
That's why there are so many VWs on mobile de and ebay de,all home converted but very professionally done.If we had similar stores here in the UK older campers would not be fetching the premium that they do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back