€118 to Have My Fan Belt Tightened... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The fan belt on the Wagon is tricky to get to especially without a pit/ramp and so I arranged to have it tightened by the local Auto Electrician Jose Luis Pedro.

Two days later I get it back... €118 :Eeek:

The alternator had to be rebuilt... seized bearings and worn out brushes...

The wretched thing had only done 260,000 kms.

Why don't they build things to last these days? :Sad:

JJ :winky:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't Fiat make those JJ?

In that case it is understandable it only lasted 260,000 km's. LOL :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Lucky it's not a merc, or it would be your third and a mere 350 euros :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All the best JJ

Rick

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hey there young JJ you want to think yourself lucky - I had to fit a new alternator to a Classic Range Rover the other day - the chap insisted it had to be a genuine alternator and it cost £570 including VAT :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: --- Then of course it had to be fitted :roflmto:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez that's a lot of Fray Bentos pies:ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
The fan belt on the Wagon is tricky to get to especially without a pit/ramp and so I arranged to have it tightened by the local Auto Electrician Jose Luis Pedro.

Two days later I get it back... €118 :Eeek:

The alternator had to be rebuilt... seized bearings and worn out brushes...

The wretched thing had only done 260,000 kms.

Why don't they build things to last these days? :Sad:

JJ :winky:

Blimey, I'm off into have my fan belt tightened on 11 April but mine's being done on the NHS. Do you need any hints? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ivy

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
More money than sense is all I can say !

Peter

Definately - I offered him a OEM aftermarket for £260 + and it was refused as he wants everything original :Eeek::Eeek: could have had the original rebuilt for him for about £30 ish + vat but no warranty

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
OK how about this? My headlight bulb needed replacing. Simple, I thought, drive to garage, buy bulb, open bonnet (on forecourt usually) take out old bulb and replace with new one. Well that's what I'd always done in the past but on looking in the vehicle's handbook it read for bulb replacement return to dealer. Ridiculous I thought, tried to get at headlight and could not gain access due to layout. Tried a couple of local service centres - they looked, shook their heads and said, "No way". Contacted dealership who said, "Yes, we'll book it in" Asked "how much" they quoted a pond short of £50! I wouldn't pay that on principle so continued shopping around and eventually got it at a 'bargain price' of £25.
Wyn

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
One of the nice things about running a 1999 vehicle is that there are virtually no electronics, can-bus, or weird connection boxes. Only one ECU for the engine, everything else is 'nuts & bolts'.

When we were in France this year with our two Discovery V8's, our son's car developed a misfire on one cylinder on the Monday as we were about to go back up-country from Carpentras to Nancy. We couldn't fix it on the spot but we had spare coil packs and leads at our workshop in Rushden.

Our eldest son packed them up and we had them sent by UPS overnight, they were there before us the next day. We drove up in two stages, I had the big 6-wheel trailer on, he was solo.

The problem was a dirty connection on one of the two coil packs, nothing else.

Philip stripped it down on the site and had it going in a couple of hours. I hate to think what it would have cost to get it done by a French Land Rover dealer.

Broken Link Removed

We carry workshop manuals with us on our laptop, have just added the Mercedes-Benz set of parts and documentation packs ready for next year.

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This thread is that old the wagon is now in the knackers yard, along with Hayleylulu,Yoser, Lillysavage and Roadrunner.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Alternator packed up on our former Holiday Rambler. Replacement quotes horrendous price:eek: Found guy in Wareham, Dorset so took it to him he apologised that it wouldn't be ready until next day:). The alternator was completely refurbished (looked new) cost including new bearings, rewind etc £70:xThumb:

Reactions: JJ
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How come this has popped up No recent replies?

Apart from yours Sandra ? you viewed it via Buttons link I presume

I did spot a member further back last seen in 2014 shown as having a temporary ban ? 5 years is a bit strict ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back