us or uk gallon (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
hi guys....can any body tell me the difference between an american gallon and a uk gallon..
reason i,m asking is,...when i bought my rv, off winnibago, it said in the brochure,that it done about 12 miles to the gallon. but ive been told that the uk gallon is bigger than the u.s.a. one. if that is so,then i,m getting more than 12 miles to the gallon......is that correct. it has been said that i,m getting about 17 mpg....and the chap who claimed this who will remain annoyminos for now....i tend to beleive him..he stands by this...dont you roger....now before you answer.i went to caterpillar in cannock, and they road tested the vehicle,on the m6.motorway, and claimed that at 75mph,my engine was using 5,7.ltrs an hour....and at 54 mph, 5.9 ltrs an hour. so slower you go,the more you use, when i questioned it with the testing guy, he said, these engines are designed to perform at there peak revved out.....so what do you reckon,...am i getting more mph for my buck, (euro dollar)or is it a load of bull.:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Since one US gallon is equal to 0.833 Imperial gallons, use this formula:

1. US gallons x 0.833 = Imperial gallons

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would say the Cat man was right. Depending on the gearing,big engines are designed to run at a certain RPM to give the best fuel economy.If he road tested it with his laptop attached then he should have the best figures.My Cummins runs better at 60 MPH than 55MPH and gives a better fuel economy at 60 as it tends to labour a bit at the lower speed.Have always said that this business of every vehicle runs at its most economical at the same speed is bull**** as speed has nothing to do with economy its RPM that dictates that. I once had a Scania 141 that ran best at 64 MPH,but that was before the days of speed limiters.:Eeek:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Because my brain aint too good I always work it out 6uk pints to one US gallon near enough for me, although I know what my RV does to the gallon I never want to work it out other than for curiosity, I know my engine is a lot ceaper on diesel than my genny :cry:

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I would say the Cat man was right. Depending on the gearing,big engines are designed to run at a certain RPM to give the best fuel economy.If he road tested it with his laptop attached then he should have the best figures.My Cummins runs better at 60 MPH than 55MPH and gives a better fuel economy at 60 as it tends to labour a bit at the lower speed.Have always said that this business of every vehicle runs at its most economical at the same speed is bull**** as speed has nothing to do with economy its RPM that dictates that. I once had a Scania 141 that ran best at 64 MPH,but that was before the days of speed limiters.:Eeek:

And had a switch installed afterwards :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I completley agree with snowbird, all down to RPM.

All the best Rick

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
And had a switch installed afterwards :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I completley agree with snowbird, all down to RPM.

All the best Rick
[/QUOTE
Hi Rick,heres me thinking it was just me and the Paddy who knew about those switches:winky::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:One came past me last week and I thought I had broken down,he must have been doing well over 70:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You will excuse my sceptical engineering brain here:RollEyes:
Lets say we agree RPM is what consumes fuel:thumb:
your engine MUST do more RPM to do 75 than it does to do 54 :Doh:
Me thinks Cat man needs to stick to smoking normal cigs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Professor Geo PHG
(Pecks Hill Garage):RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes that is right

Me thinks Cat man needs to stick to smoking normal cigs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Professor Geo PHG

If I purr along at 55 mph I am doing 1800 rpm... If I push it up to a higher speed the rev's increase and so does the mph.. Ipso facto it has to use more fuel to move the same mass.

Mine is very happy anywhere under 2,000 rpm.. But remember I am using petrol and not diesel.. V 10 6.8 .. All up 5.5 tons... (2,000 rpm... Gets me to 60 mph ....fast enough for me in an RV)

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All to do with engine loading and gearing Geo.
Sorry my ole mate
Whilst I except you can change gear :ROFLMAO:
you cant change phisics:Doh:
Not even from my mentor Rick will I except that statment and we normally agree on 99.9%

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have to agree with Geo:Doh:
I've had 3 different RVs diesel and petrol and one thing they all had in common the faster I went the more fuel they used.

Best economy ever was in the diesel from Edinburgh to Ross on Wye motorway all the way except 40 miles. Running at 55mph it averaged 15mpg and I was tucking in behind larger artics to get the benefit. The same Rv at anything over 60mph was down to 9.5 mpg or less. I did 30000 in that Rv and the economy (or lack of) was always the same.

With the price of diesel I can't see any benefit over petrol in a RV and the petrols drive so much nicer.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
OK lets look at it this way...Take two identical coach chassis with the same engine but one is geared for a town bus,pottering along at 30 to 40 MPH.
The other is geared for motorway use cruising at 60 to 65 MPH.
If you swopt jobs and put the town bus on the motorway job and the highway bus on the town job do you think they would both give the same consumption???.The town bus would be working flat out to maintain motorway speeds and the highway bus would never reach its designed working speed.Premium trucks are now running at 600 BHP plus and the reasoning behind this is that they are capable of running more economically than a smaller engine which is under load all the time.
Am certainly no engineer but do know more than a little about about fuel economy as my living depended on fuel economy all my working life.
When the difference of profit and loss comes into the equation you have no choice but to know.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
only real way to check it is full tank to full tank over a decent distance. when I calculated 17mpg it was a very rough calculation based on the amount of fuel put in the tank over a distance measured on a map rather than off the speedo. but must admit to being very surprised. Meaured properly I would not be surprised to see 15mpg being recorded.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
When I was in the US 2 weeks ago I recall the urinals all said 3.8 litres / 1 gallon per flush.

did not seem important to be told that at the time I was standing there, but actually now I get the opportunity to share :ROFLMAO:

so now you also have the litre equivalent

David

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Some questions to all you clever engineer chappies..

Does wind resistance play a part in fuel consumption?

Does wind resistance increase the faster you travel?

If the answer to the questions above is "yes"

Question 3. Does any advantage in consumption gained by increasing the revs to make the engine more efficient (and thus increasing the speed if kept in the same gear) get more than wiped out by the increase wind resistance?

JJ :Smile:

Given that Smudger's Monster (RV) has the aerodynamics of a giant, flat faced brick being pushed through lard I would reckon the best course of action would be to park up, cook a pie, open a beer and relax :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As the honorable JJ has pointed out there are many factors to be taken into account regarding fuel consumption,ie terrain,wind direction,driver,load carried, etc.
Going back to the OP if I may...his RV has a Caterpillar engine,I know not what size it is but would assume its somewhat larger than your average Fiat 2.5 or even the Chevy 6.5.
The Cat engine was regarded as a bit of a guzzler a few years ago as its main use was in earth moving equipment,but it has now got a large following in the haulage and RV market as they have found that it revs harder and because of modern computer diagnostics can be tuned for more economical use in more applications.
Have actually been to Finnings at Cannock to have a truck tuned by them and was amazed at the way they do the diagnostics.All high tech stuff.They can set up a diesel engine for whatever application the vehicle is being used for ie motorway,urban or even trucks running out of the Peak District.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Professor Geo PHG

I agree with you as well geo, I am sure what snowbird (or hope) was saying is that the economical band of revs may not be at the same road speed due to gearing, I must admit that 75 sounds a very high speed to be the most economical, my Rv is most economical around 2000 revs approx 60mph however if I sit my corvette in top at 2000 revs I much closer to 100mph, an old gardner engine at 2000 revs would have to be going down hill with 50 ton pushing it to get to 2000 revs if indeed it could.

All the best Rick

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
me thinks your cat man has mixed up his litres with gallons

5.7litres is 1.25uk gallons per hour at 75 mph thats 60 mpg

WE ALL WANT ONE!

Me thinks 5.7 uk gallons is nearer the mark as this would equate to

75 miles divided by 5.7 uk gallons = 13.16mpg

if his computer works in us gallons which it could do as its an american product

5.7us gallons is 4.75 uk gallons

then the calculation becomes 75 miles divided by 4.75 uk gallons = 15.79 mpg :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
every engine has a number of 'sweet-spots' in the rev range depending what you want of it....

power

torque

economy

and none of them will be at the same revs or speed.

greatest economy will be gained at the 'sweet-spot' regardless of actual speed or revs.
the sweetspot being a balancing act between rolling resistance, drag and power

the hard bit is finding the elusive sweetspot :Doh:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The most obvious difference is.
about £5.50p a gallon

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The most obvious difference is.
about £5.50p a gallon
Not at my end it isn't...am still running at £1.36p per gallon.
Just hope you all keep using your local takeaways.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back