Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Folks
We've been interested in the folding boats called Porta Boat for a while. People on the fishing and boating forums speak very highly of them. Basically they fold flat to about 4" , length 12ft and weigh around 26kgs (for the smallest one).
The question for us, as two not very tall women, is whether we could get one up onto our MH roof. We're not sure if we could physically do it. We've already got the frames up there to strap it to, it's just the physical effort of one climbing up the ladder and then hoisting the boat up. We could put the outboard into the underbed locker which is huge.
Any thoughts from anyone who has lifted something of that kind of size up there?
Thanks
Mags

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have seen these foldup boats fitted on purpose made brackets fitted to the side of motorhomes. I don't think its a good idea to lift them on the roof,risking damage not only to yourself but to the motorhome.
If you really want a boat,why not try an aluminium one on a trailer,similar to the one I recently sold.They are lightweight and very stable.
If you have made your mind up about the folding boat then am sure the makers will advise re side brackets.

Attachments

• S6000236.jpg
    S6000236.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43
  • S6000235.jpg
    S6000235.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 40

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Folks
We've been interested in the folding boats called Porta Boat for a while. People on the fishing and boating forums speak very highly of them. Basically they fold flat to about 4" , length 12ft and weigh around 26kgs (for the smallest one).
The question for us, as two not very tall women, is whether we could get one up onto our MH roof. We're not sure if we could physically do it. We've already got the frames up there to strap it to, it's just the physical effort of one climbing up the ladder and then hoisting the boat up. We could put the outboard into the underbed locker which is huge.
Any thoughts from anyone who has lifted something of that kind of size up there?
Thanks
Mags

I have a folding boat that could be for sale, http://www.seahopperfoldingboats.com/ Its not as big as the Porta Boat but far more manageable, it is the 6' 8" size and therefore could fit across the back of a van, if your are interested send me a PM

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I remember reading Johns Cross were to stock some folding boats in the future

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
is it this one

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiIWDK1rVw[/ame]

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Sevylor inflatable.

It doesn't take long to inflate and when packed, is the size of a large holdall.
We love it, here's a video of the Sister in Law and her partner in it.............

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTxdWr36Tk[/ame]

Bigger models are available!::bigsmile:

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
Porta boat

I have a porta boat for sale it is the older type not the flat back type but still a very good boat it is in very good condition, launching trolley which breaks down to transport, full sailing kit. 6 hp outboard, not been used for some time. would discuss a fair price offer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back