Sensor problem Fiat 2.8JTD? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have been getting the injector light coming on with my Fiat 2.8JTD engine. What happens is that when the engine is working hard in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears the light comes on at about 3K revs and then if I don't feather the throttle, the engine shuts down and goes into standby mode until I depress the clutch. It has a Tunit unit fitted so I went to their local engineer who checked out the Tunit unit and found no fault. He then put a diagnostic unit onto the engine which came up with error "235 - Turbo pressure low". He took the Tunit unit off and re-mapped it and I took it for a test drive which showed that the problem was still there but it had moved it up the rev band. He said that he thought the problem could be a sensor on the turbo manifold which I could quite easily fit myself. I just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem before and if the fitting of this sensor cured it beforeI splash out £65?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not heard of that one - they do (depending on year) suffer with fuel rail faults (recall) which would show up as injector down (low pressure) but not heard of the turbo sensor.

Maybe someone will be on here soon that will have this experience.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The van was registered 2003 so I suppose the engine will be 2002/2003.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The van was registered 2003 so I suppose the engine will be 2002/2003.

Clear rectangular headlight with built in indicator? Running on synthetic? Does the engine have a cover or not?

I just checked VOSA and nothing listed for the fuel rail, though when I worked for citroen we had a load come in for that and recovered plenty of fiats with the same.

Run the vehicle and have a look around the rail and injectors, check for wetness, oil type staining or hissing.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
P0235 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
If only life were that simple:Doh:
Dont run out and buy a sensor till you have researched the fault code and checked all electrical conection both ends (I assume the Diesel Tec did that anyway)
Also check out the Fiat Forums for info
Then make an informed decision if you can
Geo

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just checked 50+ pages on forums and there were only 4 solutions. One was to replace the sensor I mentioned and the other three were as follows:-

This refers to the waste gate actuator.

"I do remember that, once 'c' clip was removed, it was extremely difficult to prize the pin out of the hole in the end of the actuator rod. Could this have been seized enough to raise the pressure required to actuate? So I've added a few thou clearance to the hole.
Well it looks as though the above underlined was the fault...the wastegate pin had seized enough inside the actuator rod hole to increase the pressure required to open the wastegate".

Another solution was,

"The problem has been fixed.A local garage that deals with problem vehicles found high resistance in the wiring between the throttle pedal sensor and the fcu(computer).The wires were replaced and the fault has disappeared. I know that I mentioned that the wiring had been checked in my initial report but the check was only checking the connections for security.Many garages tend to go for component changes first to try and resolve problems but this can prove very expensive as I found out.Many mechanics told me that wiring is the last thing that they check.In my case it was".

And lastly it was the length of the wiring to the injectors being made too short at the factory causing the wires to stretch and lose contact. Re-routing may be enough to cure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats why I said if only life were that simple, getting the code is only the start, you have a few things to check out
Start with the simplest and or cheapest and work your way through:RollEyes:
This is why some invoices say "secure loose conection" £300:Eeek:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back