Habitation check before buying? (1 Viewer)

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm a complete newbie and have been searching for the right secondhand motorhome for months... Finally I have been able to decide the size and features that I really want and I have found a few that I'm keen to make an offer on...

I had always planned to get an AA check done, but I've only just realised that they don't do any inspection of the habitation area. I'm a especially worried about water ingress and I'm not sure I have the skills or knowledge to do a comprehensive check myself... So a couple of questions I would appreciate any help with!
  1. Is it advisable to get a habitation check done before buying a second hand motorhome? Most likely more than 10 years old.
  2. Can anyone suggest a mobile habitation check service for a motorhome in the Greater London area? (south of the city)

Thanks in advance for any help!

ps. Sorry if this topic has been discussed many times on here, I'm not able to search the forums just yet...

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I'm a complete newbie and have been searching for the right secondhand motorhome for months... Finally I have been able to decide the size and features that I really want and I have found a few that I'm keen to make an offer on...

I had always planned to get an AA check done, but I've only just realised that they don't do any inspection of the habitation area. I'm a especially worried about water ingress and I'm not sure I have the skills or knowledge to do a comprehensive check myself... So a couple of questions I would appreciate any help with!
  1. Is it advisable to get a habitation check done before buying a second hand motorhome? Most likely more than 10 years old.
  2. Can anyone suggest a mobile habitation check service for a motorhome in the Greater London area? (south of the city)
Thanks in advance for any help!

ps. Sorry if this topic has been discussed many times on here, I'm not able to search the forums just yet...

try here :Link Removed

there not cheap but do a good job

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry i cant suggest anyone but yes, if its a private seller then a hab service/check would be a good idea.
ask the seller to have it done if its a definate purchase.(subject to satifactory check)
if not, once you've bought it you could be in for a large repair bill and the seller will disappear.

if its a dealer sale then it should have been done and documented...if not then ask them to do it prior to buying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
try here :Link Removed

there not cheap but do a good job

Thanks for the link ... even AA is almost 200 quid without habitation check so that's not to bad in my opinion, especially given how comprehensive the MACIC inspection is in comparison to AA's...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
ask the seller to have it done if its a definate purchase.(subject to satifactory check)

All are private sales, and to be honest I've not asked if they've had hab checks and haven't seen it in any of the papers... added it to my list of questions! personally i'm thinking i'd get better piece of mind if I had one done myself anyway... when I'm handing over a large wad of cash I think I would prefer to know how it checks out right now.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one other major question for the seller.....

when was the cambelt last changed.

depending on year and engine size it should be replaced every 4 or 5 years....or around 80,000 miles, whichever comes first but almost sure to be time related on a motorhome.

current costs are between around £250 (independant garage) and £400 (main dealer)

engine rebuild after a belt failure.....no change from £1200 and probably more.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

All are private sales, and to be honest I've not asked if they've had hab checks and haven't seen it in any of the papers... added it to my list of questions! personally i'm thinking i'd get better piece of mind if I had one done myself anyway... when I'm handing over a large wad of cash I think I would prefer to know how it checks out right now.
then offer to pay for the check personally before you commit to buy.

damp is a motorhome killer and can cost thousands to correct....if it even can be !

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Come to me and not only do you get a full service and a hab check but the next four years hab checks are FREE !:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back