Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Got home yesterday with our brand spanking new Bessacarr. Never owned a caravan or motorhome before so all this is new to us.
I have attached the propane gas bottle to the poigtail which is connected to a bulk head regulator. All gas taps are open but no gas flowing.
The instruction on the bulk head says to hold down the green button on the regulator for 3 seconds and release. I presume that the button should then stay "in", but it pops back out again immediately. Is the regulator faulty or am I missing something easy here?

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Sounds like Truma Secumotion set up , you should have a green button on your pigtail and also one on your regulator. Press the button on the pigtail followed by the regulator , they will not stop in and you should be sorted ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Silly question.. but just in case.. you have turned the valve on propane bottle on ?

If so then ensure all appliances are off then hold the green button a bit longer, it won't stay IN until the system is pressurised ..

If it won't pressurise it could be a leak in the system , faulty regulator (as you suggested) or an empty propane bottle.

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
I'm not a daft as I look - yes the valve on the bottle is open (though the missus will argue that point).
There is no green button on the pigtail, only on the regulator.
The longest I have held it down was for about a minute.
All appliances are off and all gas taps are open.
Its a new bottle.

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
There is a service valve at the bottom of the regulator with a black cap on it make sure its turned on...:thumb:

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Good try Ash as I hadn't found that. The service valve is open.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
cant help as its difficult without seeing it. But the answer is in your post, Brand new and never had a motorhome or caravan before. Perhaps your dealer should of ensured that all was working for you before you left. :Smile:

anyhow, hope you sort it out, soon, sure it will be something that will make everyone bang there heads when you say what the issue was,

and welcome to Fun, hope to see you at a meet sometime, :thumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You say it is brand spanking new. Did you get a demonstration when you picked it up that everything worked?

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Looks like its back to the dealers after only one day with it. Sad really.
But any how, the funster sticker is in the window ready for our first trip.

Yes we got a demo round everything - except having the gas connected.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Yes we got a demo round everything - except having the gas connected.

Demo with no Gas?:Angry:. Surely they connected a bottle to do the handover? We have had 2 dealer handovers (Marquis and Hayes) and both connected a bottle to do the handover.

You could try calling them rather than trekking back to them?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had the secumotion regulator on our van, we had loads of trouble with ours I took it off and sent it back to Truma and got a normal one back.:Smile:

As Mark CLS said you should have the hoses with the valves as well if you are going to run with the Gas on.

See this: http://www.trumauk.com/products-gas...art=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

They have to have pressure to work, low pressure and its shuts off. :Smile: Are you sure the bottles not Empty. :Doh: Bob.

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
The bottle is new.
I'll give them a call in the morning to get it sorted at their end.
And no, they didn't connect a bottle during the handover, just gave brief instructions on how its done.

Thanks everyone. I'll update when its fixed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as its a new van this may apply, but should have been sorted at pre-delivery inspection....if they did, in fact, test the gas appliances for function.

somewhere on the van, possibly under the sink unit drawers...near the fridge, there should be a gas manifold with a series of gas taps, usually brass with red taps, one for each appliance.

check these are all turned on.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
^^^^ As he says! If they didn't check the sytem, these are probably off - you should have a manifold near the cooker, and possibly one near the water heater. They normally have a flame symbol on.

Turn these, and try again. If it has never been used, may take a few goes to drag the gas round the system.

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
That was one of the few things they showed us on the gas side - where the manifold taps were and that they are open.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it is the hob that's not getting gas make sure you have opened the glass lid fully, some have a vavle built in that only lets the gas flow when the lid is fully open.

D.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
It's the securmotion,pressing in and letting go does not work. You have to release the button slowly. Same thing caught me out with ours. Looked up the instructions on the Truma website.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi, we had the secumotion regulator on our van, we had loads of trouble with ours I took it off and sent it back to Truma and got a normal one back.:Smile:

As Mark CLS said you should have the hoses with the valves as well if you are going to run with the Gas on.

See this: http://www.trumauk.com/products-gas...art=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

They have to have pressure to work, low pressure and its shuts off. :Smile: Are you sure the bottles not Empty. :Doh: Bob.

The photo shown in the link is exactly as mine, and I have no problem at all, you say you do not have two green buttons, there is none at the bottle end of the pigtail?, I think you should be calling your supplier out to rectify this and get him to explain how the pre delivery was performed. I have a sticker on the inside of the gas locker door with the gas fitters signature and date of test.

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
The problem is not in the MH but at the regulator. The green button will not stay in no matter how long I hold it or how I release it.
There is no green button on the pigtail or at the bottle end. The bottle is open and full.
Sticker in the gas locker gives instructions and I've been on various web sites and also read the instruction book back to front countless times in case I've missed something.
Even ended up dreaming about the damned thing last night. Doing my head in now.
I'll hopefully get it resolved today with the dealer.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The problem is not in the MH but at the regulator. The green button will not stay in no matter how long I hold it or how I release it.
There is no green button on the pigtail or at the bottle end. The bottle is open and full.
Sticker in the gas locker gives instructions and I've been on various web sites and also read the instruction book back to front countless times in case I've missed something.
Even ended up dreaming about the damned thing last night. Doing my head in now.
I'll hopefully get it resolved today with the dealer.

Hi Scek, your problem has created a bit of interest, can you let us know how the dealer resolves it.:thumb:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Introductions

Well it's one way to get aquainted. :helpsos:

Sorry I cannot help ........ leave all the techy stuff to him.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your 'new hobby' once you get sorted.

Hope to see you out on the roads soon.

:welcome:

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Spoke with the dealer this morning and they say they green button does not stay in, but when its pressed there should be a hissing sound as it primes the pipes.
No hissing sound. We are taking the MH back in for them to look at the regulator.
I just hope its not something stupid that we've missed.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I'm not a daft as I look - yes the valve on the bottle is open (though the missus will argue that point).
There is no green button on the pigtail, only on the regulator.
The longest I have held it down was for about a minute.
All appliances are off and all gas taps are open.
Its a new bottle.

If it is a secomotion fitment you have then you should have a pigtail also with a green button on it as it needs both buttons to operate.
You open the valve on the bottle then press button on pigtail (you will feel the pipe move a fraction as gas goes thru) then press button on regulator

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
WE HAVE GAS !
Dealer phoned again this afternoon with some more ideas.
Said to take the base of the wardrobe apart and I'll find some more gas taps and see if they are open or closed. All were open.
I closed them off, opened them up again, went outside to the gas locker and stood with my thumb on the green button for yet another 30 seconds (number of times I've done that is ridiculous), back inside and tried to light the cooker - and it lit straight away. Over to the fridge, and tried that - click click click and th'are she blows. Tried the heater - click click click and heat.
I'll phone the dealer in the morning to let them know its fixed and to see if they know what the cause may have been.
Were now ready for our first trip to the Lakes at the weekend. Just need to stock the fridge with beer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back