Free Member
Mar 12, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi,

I am looking to buy a right hand drive Hymer 522 and I am wondering if anyone has any experience of driving a right hand motor home in Europe, or if I should just keep looking till I find a left hand drive one.

Thanks

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have been abroad many times with a right hand drive, no problems
Just ask your passenger to let you know when it,s clear at roundabouts

Having said that, if your main area of use is abroad, then go for a lefty
They do tend to go a bit less pricey over here

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Seriously nothing to it. It takes a little getting used to at first, but after that no worries. I have been driving abroad for 20+ years, I love it, makes you think about your driving a little more :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
4 months touring in Europe and didn't find any problems with driving a right hander at all and I'm a complete novice at this ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
t's like anything, after a while you will get used to it. Just go very very easy, take your time and make good use of your mirrors. Take particular care on roundabouts and at junctions especially when pulling out and turning left across oncoming traffic. If you have someone in the passenger seat they can help you, otherwise pull up at a slight angle so that your visibility to the left is increased.

I lived in France for 10 years and mainly drove my right hand drive UK vehicle there. When I regularly came back to over to the UK I would use my French plated left hand drive car. Mainly to avoid the increasing presence of speed cameras in the UK at that time.

You just get used to changing sides in the car and on the road. The main problem I found occurred late at nights, when you pulled out on a empty road. When there is traffic around you see straight away where to drive. But on an empty road it is easy to pull onto the wrong side of the carriageway. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would have to think sometimes, where am I?, which side of the road should I be on, to ensure I drove on the correct side.

After a few days there I'm sure you will have no probs.........:thumb:

Upvote 0

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Slickquiver,

We live in The Netherlands and we went to England in 2009 for the first time.
Driving at the "wrong" side of the road took me about 5 minutes to get aquainted to.
The only thing is that you have to stay focussed.

I found out there is something else which is far more dangerous: cross a street while walking !!!
You are used to be focussed while driving, but you (at least I) are not that much focussed while walking. Had luck though because my dog stopped while i wanted to cross looking in the wrong direction.

Made it a habit to stop about 1 meter from the curb, look around and than cross the street

Have a good time and enjoy it

Paul and Ineke

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
I lived in france for 10 years and kept my UK right hand drive car but bought a French left hand drive camper. It took a couple of days to get used to the camper but after that there were no problems changing from one to the other. Concentration is the thing, particularly when pulling on to the road from garages, carparks etc, when it is easy to make a mistake.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its a right hand drive then a card on your steering wheel/dash board saying 'KEEP RIGHT'

its easy to forget when you first set off each day after an overnight stop !

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It's like sex the more you do it the easier it gets:ROFLMAO:

Have fun be alert and don't worry.

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Agree with all that has been said, Sue and I have done it for years and Sue is as good or if I am honest better than me at driving on the wrong side of the road.
We developed a mantra when in doubt, "Steering wheel to the kerb"

When turning left remember to aim the sterring wheel to the kerb.

Hope this helps.

Norman

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Right hand drive ,here and there. Apart from it is easier as you tend to have a right hand drive car too at home (and away if you take one) so it is what you are used to, easier to adapt to the situation rather than change your tools. Plus,it impresses the Germans, some of whom are only put off coming here because of the driving on the 'wrong' side. :Smile: Jane

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
For a motorhome I actually think a right hand drive is better abroad. You often end up down narrow roads and because your driving side is on the curb, wall or hedge side it makes passing other vehicles coming the other way easier in tight spots as you can judge how close you are to the hedge / wall much easier. Motorways and A roads are a doddle as your high up so its easy to see to overtake.

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Its one of those things that until you do it you worry about it and the more you worry about it the more of a problem it becomes - everyday there are dozens of ferries with hundreds of right hand drive vehicles going over the water and by the same token there are hundreds of left hand drive vehicles coming over here without problems. Why should it not be as easy for you.

To be honest the first time we went over to France we worried and I asked a few people and they all said why worry once you are there it all falls into place and its easy -- we have done many 10's of thousands of miles 'on the wrong side' and actually prefer it as most european drivers have better road manners than in the UK :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no problem just two tips.
1) a big sign with an arrow and the word KERB fixed on the dashboard, and remember to turn it when you come home so you don't drive on the right here.
2) A massive blind spot mirror, being ovetaken on the left can make you jump to say the least a really wide angle mirror will help.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I think the AA does some little "cling" type stickers to place on the windscreen to remind you which side of the road to drive on and they are reversible for when you return from across the water...They are just a picture of a roundabout with a BIG direction arrow on it I think they are a couple of quid or so someone will no doubt put a pic of them up sometime!!

As for driving on 't'other side of the road it's nothing to worry too much about it will come naturally

Upvote 0

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I think the AA does some little "cling" type stickers to place on the windscreen to remind you which side of the road to drive on and they are reversible for when you return from across the water...They are just a picture of a roundabout with a BIG direction arrow on it I think they are a couple of quid or so someone will no doubt put a pic of them up sometime!!

As for driving on 't'other side of the road it's nothing to worry too much about it will come naturally

Or you could make your own

IMG_2400.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back