Tyres, Did you know? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had an interesting day today, went to the Local Yocal Tyre Bay for a couple of new Tyres for our new toy. Agreed a price for a couple of Continentals, (same Tyres as the front) the fellas soon whipped the old ones off, and slipped the newees on,

"Whats yer pressures Johnno? "
"Says here 72.5psi"
"Uhhh oooh!"
"Wass up?"
"These Tyres are only rated to 65psi "
"So what are you trying to tell me?"
"Wrong rated tyres! Your Insurance Kaput!"

End of story?

Phoned Dealer we purchased new toy from, no hesitation! (once the channels were run thro) they will pay for the Continentals to be replaced Good eh!

But it beggers the question how many of us are running around with wrongly rated Tyres? Which means a risk of an invalid Insurance. AND, a risk of failing an MOT Spect you'll check 'em now eh?

'nother thing I learnt today Tyres are also speed rated! No good having 113mph rated tyres on a 150mph BMW (is there such a thing?) Hav'nt a clue how you tell, but it's to do with letters on tyre.

The old adage " it's never to late to learn!" Man! I'm still at it!!

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thanks jhorsf, I've read it, but, could not see where it effects my Insurance Policy, or as a matter of fact my MOT!
I don't think the information I was given was Bulldust, why else did the Dealer agree with me, and change the two Tyres, on the front, at their expense with no quibble?
I also checked with the Trading Standards here in Cornwall, to get some background, before I talked to the Dealer (just in case!), they agreed that the vehicle, under The Sale of Goods Act 1979, "was not of satisfactory quality" because of the Tyres fitted on the front were of the wrong rating.

+I must say that the dealer Alan Kerr Leisure of Paignton, have been marvellous at sorting out this problem with us, I think they were as puzzled as we were, once we knew it was a problem, but give them their due, they had no hesitation in agreeing to change the tyres from Continentals to Michelin Agillis Camping which can run at 80psi cold. All power to them!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if yoyour tyre weight or speed rating is wrong for the vehicle the insurance assessor will see this and reject your claim on those grounds alone if for no other reason.
it is probably a legal offense as well.

even if your tyre pressures are wrong they have the right to reject or reduce a claim.....probably based on, if they were correct the accident may have been avoided.
anything to get out of a claim payout.

i believe tyre weight/speed ratings and size are noted during your mot and if incorrect it will fail.
not 100% certain but its the only reason i can think for the tester looking and taking notes.

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
if yoyour tyre weight or speed rating is wrong for the vehicle the insurance assessor will see this and reject your claim on those grounds alone if for no other reason.
it is probably a legal offense as well.

even if your tyre pressures are wrong they have the right to reject or reduce a claim.....probably based on, if they were correct the accident may have been avoided.
anything to get out of a claim payout.

i believe tyre weight/speed ratings and size are noted during your mot and if incorrect it will fail.
not 100% certain but its the only reason i can think for the tester looking and taking notes.

Thanks pappajohn for clearing that up:thumb:

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
What tyres were fitted only rated 65psi. Continental camping rated 79psi (small print on tyre)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tyres fitted to a Motor Home tested as a class 4 have no requirement for rating or suitability
as per standard Car test
But class 7 commercials and Motor Homes with a garage, tested under living van rules would be checked for correct ratings and fail if incorrect
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tyres fitted to a Motor Home tested as a class 4 have no requirement for rating or suitability
as per standard Car test
But class 7 commercials and Motor Homes with a garage, tested under living van rules would be checked for correct ratings and fail if incorrect
Geo
and i'm sure you'll agree Geo, the law is an ass !

a 7.5t motorhome, unsuitable/under-rated tyres.

not really any different to a 7.5t commercial truck as far as size, speed and weight are concerned.

both will/can/could/do cause catastrophic damage in the event of a blowout and (commercial vs motorhome annual mileages excluded) the one with the unsuitable tyres will be the one it's most likely to happen to !

i'm not saying the test should be changed from class IV but it should include tyre rating suitability from a safety point.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
oh it dont stop there John
last time i looked
The white transit taking your spuds to market needs a min of 1.6 mm tread
But the transit Mini bus taking the kids to school only needs 1mm:Eeek:

OP
OP
rangi
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What tyres were fitted only rated 65psi. Continental camping rated 79psi (small print on tyre)

Continental Vanco 2 215/70R15C and also in small print on Tyre, max 65psi

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
lots of tyres have max pressure on sidewall but it only applies in North America according to tyre manufacturers yes I know it does not make sense to me either:Doh:

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Continental Vanco 2 215/70R15C and also in small print on Tyre, max 65psi

Continental vanco camper 5.5 bar 215/70R15. I guess same as Michelin

Steles