remapping ford cmax & ducato 2.8 (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I’m having my fait 2.8jtd m/h chipped by wow soon and I’m thinking of having my wife cmax 1.8tdci dons as well,

It’s well documented about haveing the fait done, but has anybody got experience of the cmax or the ford 1.8tdci engine in any other car.

She finds it difficult to get into 5th gear on the road she travels to work and back (the 635 Doncaster to Barnsley) for those who don’t know this road it’s a windy hilly b road so more flexibility should help here.

Were currently getting 39.8mpg for the cmax, and about 25ish from the fait

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How new is the c-max? They are quite prone to electrical problems, so if it is fairly new, I would advise against it for a while at least just so you don't lose the warranty.

If it is fairly old, and high mileage then go for it!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
How new is the c-max? They are quite prone to electrical problems, so if it is fairly new, I would advise against it for a while at least just so you don't lose the warranty.

If it is fairly old, and high mileage then go for it!

its still under both the ford warranty and the toyota used car warranty,

Im still waiting for the insurance co (saga) to get back to see if the policey will go up, the m/h's with carvan gaurd and they have confirmed no incress as long as its professionly done with documentation.

I did read on a ford forum 10mpg better, but i'd be happy with 5mpg and a more drivable car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
its still under both the ford warranty and the toyota used car warranty,

Im still waiting for the insurance co (saga) to get back to see if the policey will go up, the m/h's with carvan gaurd and they have confirmed no incress as long as its professionly done with documentation.

I did read on a ford forum 10mpg better, but i'd be happy with 5mpg and a more drivable car

Just curious how Ford who look at it if you have a problem...they are quite up for finding reasons not to honour a warranty! A chipped engine might be the ideal 'Sorry, you have modified it beyond safe limits' excuse.

Friend of mine has spend 6k in repairs to a 70,000 mile, 3 year old mondeo diesel so far this year! Serviced by ford, every time.....had a new top end of the engine, new crank, oil pump, bottom end rebuild, turbo, brake system and then the engine blew and needed a new unit! Not exactly worth him keeping it an extra year! lol!

What you have to watch with modern engines is, they are run very low on oil - in order to come within environmental emissions standards. They are in actual fact not that far from the point of seizure...which is why engines just do not last long any more!

There is a little trick you can use........disconnect the battery for 24 hours, reconnect and drive it like a granny for a few days!:winky:

Be very light on the throttle, drive slowly and smoothly - the ecu will teach itself the new limits....it will go like stink afterwards!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Could this bloke be of some use?

Send the ecu in by post.....

http://www.vantuner.co.uk/postal-remaps/

Ive allready done a deal with wow to do both thr M/h and the car subject to reviews and getting comformation form the insurers that no hike in premium would be due, h/m ok still waiting on the car

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
having had a very disapionting answer from the car insurance underwriter:Angry:, ive cancled having cmax done, Im going to review when we reinsure, at that time it will also be out of warranty so it probibly best all round, still getting the h/m home done on thursday morning so hopefully a little more mpg in that:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It would appear there could be new legislation coming in next year (maybe Geo can confirm) Banning engine chipping and making it an automatic MOT failure, that alone would bother me.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
It would appear there could be new legislation coming in next year (maybe Geo can confirm) Banning engine chipping and making it an automatic MOT failure, that alone would bother me.

you had me panic-ing for a minuette:Eeek:, Ive just rung vosa and its only if it makes changes the tail pipe emmissions, just rung Wow and thry told me thier mod does not change them "garranted" so looks like it will be ok...

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Just got back form having the m/h done, even on todays windy A1 I noticed the differance in top gear, hardly had to change down at all .

Time will tell if its going to be more MPG but the drive seemed more relaxed , I suppose I'll have to brim the tank now:cry:

The local agent for WOW was Rob Leaf, nice plesent chap who seemed to know his oinions and his wife/partner makes nice coffeee...so Om a happty bunney so far

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Please keep us informed with regard to your van tuning with WOW I am sure lots are interested

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I’m having my fait 2.8jtd m/h chipped by wow soon and I’m thinking of having my wife cmax 1.8tdci dons as well,

cmax 1.8tdci is a strange name for the wife:Eeek: I would be very interested to know if you have her done the results IE; does she go better,does she pull harder,or does this mod just suck:ROFLMAO:

yes I do have a strange sense of humour :getmecoat::sorry2:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Motor manufacturers spend millions on research and development to get the best from their engines so why fiddle with them and then flog them to death in fifth gear, that will only shorten engine life, as for running low on oil to a near point of seizure makes them more environmentally friendly amazes me

Loddy:Doh:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Motor manufacturers spend millions on research and development to get the best from their engines so why fiddle with them and then flog them to death in fifth gear, that will only shorten engine life, as for running low on oil to a near point of seizure makes them more environmentally friendly amazes me

Loddy:Doh:
I would agree that keeping modern engines within their tolerances is a good idea! Whereas this would have worked well a few years ago, modern cars as just too strained. The oil is all about emissions - all engines will burn a certain amount of oil, they reduce the oil in order to reduce the oil burn and come within the emissions tolerances - these days it makes a difference in sales too! Lower emission cars will attract lower or even free tax - one bonus sales point.

As for being good for the environment - I have my reservations! In my mind, and engine that goes on for 500,000 miles is better for the environment that the short lived modern ones that are being replaced - surely constantly replacing a car or engine is more harmful in its' recycling process and the build process of the replacement, than an older one happily chugging on for years! After all, if one car can last 3 times longer than a new one, higher emissions or not - that is quite alot of energy saved in replacement cars!

Asfor the insurers and the C-Max, see how you get on next year! There has been quite a few electrical problems with the C-Max resulting in claims. Ahyone that has returned and seen theirs 'move' or arrived to see headlights flashing and wipers on full blast when the car is locked and no keys in will understand!

I had one owner tell me that she was convinced the 'C' stood for 'Christine' as it had a mind of it's own! Her one had the wiper fault, and the stereo would blast out radio 2 at 3am!:ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Originally Posted by Loddy Link Removed
Motor manufacturers spend millions on research and development to get the best from their engines so why fiddle with them and then flog them to death in fifth gear,

Loddy, the manufacturers build engines by the million, whereas 'tuning' means you have the 'best' engine for your specific purpose. It's like comparing a BMC A-series engine in a GPO van and in a Frogeye Sprite.

Compare the front door handles of your MH with the Habitation Door handle. Ford build literally millions of Transits, and their door handles are used by many other Ford vehicles as well. A company like Swift might make 20,000 MHs in a year, which is why accessory firms make and sell extra special door handles for those who want a bit more security than the average punter will pay for.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Originally Posted by Loddy Link Removed
Motor manufacturers spend millions on research and development to get the best from their engines so why fiddle with them and then flog them to death in fifth gear,

Loddy, the manufacturers build engines by the million, whereas 'tuning' means you have the 'best' engine for your specific purpose. It's like comparing a BMC A-series engine in a GPO van and in a Frogeye Sprite.

Compare the front door handles of your MH with the Habitation Door handle. Ford build literally millions of Transits, and their door handles are used by many other Ford vehicles as well. A company like Swift might make 20,000 MHs in a year, which is why accessory firms make and sell extra special door handles for those who want a bit more security than the average punter will pay for.

That is all taken care of via the diffs, boxes etc. Engines can be tuned, buit we are talking of remapping ECU'S and taking the engines beyond the manufactuers safe limits.

This is why it will invalidate your warranty if any pops on your drivetrain. If manufactuers made them to be tuned, then this would not be the case.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
That is all taken care of via the diffs, boxes etc. Engines can be tuned, buit we are talking of remapping ECU'S and taking the engines beyond the manufactuers safe limits.

This is why it will invalidate your warranty if any pops on your drivetrain. If manufactuers made them to be tuned, then this would not be the case.

This is a massive topic around the world and to be-honest the really answer lay's out there in the Oil field.... Nothing to do with limits on engines and pushing them too far... Most Re-maps will use less stress if driven correct than a standard engine screaming its tits off to climb that hill, Oil and revenue is the reason for them not being as good as they should, The UK,USA etc etc want us to keep buying petrol at stupid prices and want us to keep them in there high lifes at the top. This is why they don't make Car's,Van's etc etc eco friendly,

If you don't believe me then ask yourself this one question....

"Why is it that every person that has every invented a Hydrogen Car/Van in the world has either been paid off or killed and there is plenty of evidence on the internet that will prove Hydrogen is the way forward"

Read the story below,

http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/stanmeyer.html

I would also like to add alot of Car companies use the same engine but with a ECU remap to make a new model....

2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 85 PS/250 Nm – Durashift 5-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/300 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 140 PS/350 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission

2.4-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 100PS/285Nm - Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/310 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 140 PS/375 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission

Everyone of the above will have had a remap of some sort same engine different map..

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Its a conspiracy theory!

A lad I knew a few years back up north openly tested this with an Isuzu Trooper as his test vehicle. He was an engineer teaching at a University, so knew the rights and wrongs.

The vehicle was converted and tuned to run at it's optimum. It had a maximum speed of only 30mph and there were other problems that made it unviable. I will see if I can find his report online somewhere. It was made public and he did it with an open mind and a scientific test and published the results. It is all very technical with energy values etc all measured accurately.

I am not saying that the oil fields are not protected - they most certainly will be - but I think the hydrogen plant needs more development to see if we are actually missing the point......after all, it IS efficient in small motors (ie generator size) which would suggest it would be a good power source to run a small engine to turn something else (like a turbine) that would use another method to produce propulsion - like sucking in air, compressing and blowing out the other end. Who knows? They might be on to something, but looking in the wrong direction!

Manufactuers will produce different mapping for each power range of an engine, but these are all WITHIN safe tolerances. A motorhome would be a higher output engine anyway, due to the weight that is being carried by the base vehicle. which would suggest, that you are already remapped before you remap!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Please keep us informed with regard to your van tuning with WOW I am sure lots are interested

will do need to put some miles on it first to get a proper report

Wow

Trader - Engine ReMapping
Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, its Chris from Wow,
Not been on here much recently as been mega busy, but I see there are still so many misinfomed people talking a load of old tosh from their armchair.
Theres plently of real information on this forum, but here are some FACTS just to stop the waters being mudied too much:

1. Manufacturers regularly detune engines to meet market demands. The only difference between the VW TD 1.9TDi T5 engine is mapping, between 88hp & 104hp models, yet they were charging £1.300 for the two different versions.
2. Manufacturers have to work to the lowest common denominator of A)regulation, b) extremes of temperature, c) extremes of humidity and d)extremes of altitude etc. There is only one version of engine sold European wide, so it’s a one size fits all.
3. Some manufacturers offer remapping as a matter of course, for instance Mercedes, except it will cost you £1,600
4. We have manufacturers dealers as agents installing our remaps, on new motorhome, vans and cars.
5. We have completed over 2,000 motorhomes over the last 4 years and calculate conservatively that they have done combined over 20,000,000 miles AND have had zero failure

Remapping is a bigger industry than most will realise, many top end companies are very good, some are dire with little or no technical development and testing. Done well, by a decent company you wont have any problems and in virtually every case the customer will be delighted with the results.
Insurance with motorhomes is rarely a problem because of the speclalist nature of the vehicle, with cars it can be different as you're not special, just a number. There are plenty of car insurers out there who will treat you fairly, its just a case of working through them.

Cheers,
Chris.
p.s. thanks for you business seb:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi, its Chris from Wow,
Not been on here much recently as been mega busy, but I see there are still so many misinfomed people talking a load of old tosh from their armchair.
Theres plently of real information on this forum, but here are some FACTS just to stop the waters being mudied too much:

1. Manufacturers regularly detune engines to meet market demands. The only difference between the VW TD 1.9TDi T5 engine is mapping, between 88hp & 104hp models, yet they were charging £1.300 for the two different versions.
2. Manufacturers have to work to the lowest common denominator of A)regulation, b) extremes of temperature, c) extremes of humidity and d)extremes of altitude etc. There is only one version of engine sold European wide, so it’s a one size fits all.
3. Some manufacturers offer remapping as a matter of course, for instance Mercedes, except it will cost you £1,600
4. We have manufacturers dealers as agents installing our remaps, on new motorhome, vans and cars.
5. We have completed over 2,000 motorhomes over the last 4 years and calculate conservatively that they have done combined over 20,000,000 miles AND have had zero failure

Remapping is a bigger industry than most will realise, many top end companies are very good, some are dire with little or no technical development and testing. Done well, by a decent company you wont have any problems and in virtually every case the customer will be delighted with the results.
Insurance with motorhomes is rarely a problem because of the speclalist nature of the vehicle, with cars it can be different as you're not special, just a number. There are plenty of car insurers out there who will treat you fairly, its just a case of working through them.

Cheers,
Chris.
p.s. thanks for you business seb:thumb:

Chris

I'd just like to add a couple of things

I rang your company and spoke to (I think) Stuart regarding my initial interest, he was both helpful and informative, with no hard sell.

I rang again and spoke to your teck people (name unknown) regarding the new mot regulations, in particular the emissions test; once again I got a courteous, informative reply.

Your local to me fitter, Rob Leaf (Newark) was helpful, clean working, knowledgeable about the job and made sure I was happy with the work carried by coming on an extended test drive. (His partner makes good coffee too)

It’s far too early to say if the upgrade works by improving mpg, I can see why it should; driving was more pleasant, much, much less changing down. But I will be giving it proper test before the 30 day money back runs out (I’m from Yorkshire).

But so far thanks for a good product, professionally sold, and fitted. Hopefully I will be coming back to my wife’s Cmax done when the current insurance expires and I can get a quote with less loading.
:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here it is folks the EU directive getting every one in a flap
The wording is simple and straight forward the task nigh on impossible to carry out

Reasons for rejection (fail)

(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer absent, [HI]modified [/HI]or obviously defective.

(b) Leaks which would affect emission measurements

This is being read by some as Mapping will fail, clearly re mapping is a modification and if taken literally would be a fail BUT
This is being looked at very carefully by Vosa
I placed the question at a Vosa meeting ref Mapping and received an authoritative reply to the effect that this would not be included in the 2012 re write of the regs
Until such times as the equipment and test method is available I can not see it being implemented any time soon 2015 ish and thats a may be, In any event I believe the target area is the boy racers with the ebay tune up boxes where the map authors have no regard for emissions or smoke
Sorry for the delay in replying I was giving other resident MoT experts the opportunity :RollEyes:
Geo

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
WOW did ours at Shepton and i am gaining 4mpg more now on a run, Fantastic service from WOW and i would highly recommend a re-map, Less engine stress, Engine works less harder, Better MPG, Smoother, Pulls at least 25% better in my case, all in all 150% worth every penny....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back