hi guys
just about to do my solar system i have the following so far
2 80watt cells
20 amp reg
2 220 amp batteries
1 95 amp battery original fitted to van
on board mains charger which works on mains or genset
plus brkt and cables
the question is should i put a change over switch between the charger and the solar panels so that i can isolated the solar from charger. if so do i need to do this for the ground as wlel eg 2 pole switch. i am bit worried about feed backs on the cell reg and or charger circuit
paul

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi guys
just about to do my solar system i have the following so far
2 80watt cells
20 amp reg
2 220 amp batteries
1 95 amp battery original fitted to van
on board mains charger which works on mains or genset
plus brkt and cables
the question is should i put a change over switch between the charger and the solar panels so that i can isolated the solar from charger. if so do i need to do this for the ground as wlel eg 2 pole switch. i am bit worried about feed backs on the cell reg and or charger circuit
paul
All the protection you need is in the panels and reg

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
The controller should have built in diodes (one way valves) to stop any feed back so you should be OK, check which battery has the connections for leisure supply and wire the solars to the others

Loddy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The controller should have built in diodes (one way valves) to stop any feed back so you should be OK, check which battery has the connections for leisure supply and wire the solars to the others

Loddy
Why:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Work it out your the clever one
Loddy:winky:

Beats me too.

Be a good idea to put a fuse in the solar feed right next to whatever battery +, just in case.

And in all cases, read the manufacturers instructions rather than a load of unknowns on a forum.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You don't need a switch to isolate the solar panels, as per previous posts,however if you still want to fit an isolator switch then it must be fitted between the solar panel and the solar regulator.Only single pole is needed which can be in either wire as the regulator and solar panels are not normally connected to the chassis
A solar panel connected to the solar regulator with no load (battery) can damage the regulator.

A fuse should be fitted between the solar panels and the regulator (20 A) as well as the one on the battery as per Hilldwellers post.

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
The only problem i see is the old battery,it will pull the other new ones down to its level,but just my opinion ?:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back