Votronic bluetooth monitoring. (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As per title, being a bit obsessed with what I can make off the solar I get tired out going up and down the steps to check inside when I think there is just a bit more sun ;)

So thank to Michael sallylillian for trialing this I made a small investment in a Votronic S-BC, it comes with two data leads and will combine the readings from up to two Votronic solar regulators if you have more than two there is another box of tricks that will combine even more, you can still use your existing solar computer as it just loops out of the S-BC box, I haven't got that plugged in as we have a Buttner "hall effect" solar pro display.

IMG_3540.JPG

The data cables just plug in where the solar computer would have been and the solar computer would go in the spare sockets,

IMG_3541.PNG

The app is in German at the moment but they do say that there is going to be an English version soon, it is quite self explanatory though 3 Amps because the batteries are full, battery voltage, Watts, and then a cumulative total in Wh and Ah, Tage is obviously days so you can go back 30 days.

The battery monitor is only if you have an existing Votronic battery monitor you can couple that in as well but it takes up one of the data slots.

Now just need to be somewhere sat in the sun beer in hand watching it (y)

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
Had you considered Victron?

Built in Bluetooth connectivity and fully programmable via their app (in English)
Good question Robert, I went for made in Germany over China or India or wherever, I have had Votronic before and can't fault them they have AES out for the fridge which I don't think Victron have and lastly I know a couple of people who have reliability issues with Victron so not for me ;), oh and a direct replacement for the Buttner that were fitted including the battery temperature probe, the Buttner would have been fine except that obviously buying an entry level van we only got the PP/PWM regulators:LOL:

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Good question Robert, I went for made in Germany over China or India or wherever, I have had Votronic before and can't fault them they have AES out for the fridge which I don't think Victron have and lastly I know a couple of people who have reliability issues with Victron so not for me ;), oh and a direct replacement for the Buttner that were fitted including the battery temperature probe, the Buttner would have been fine except that obviously buying an entry level van we only got the PP/PWM regulators:LOL:

Martin
Didn’t realise that the Buttner controller had an S+ output

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Martin
Looks like the solar controller charges the engine battery too?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
Looks like the solar controller charges the engine battery too?
Oh yes It's the real McCoy, these are the biggies at 430watts so if I fancy another couple of panels at any time I reckon I can add them into the junction box of the panel on the roof.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have you connected the fridge again Martin?
TBH Jon I am more inclined to run it on 240 from the inverter as the 240v element is 250w and the 12v one is only 170w, would need to alter 240v wiring a bit more though.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats noted for next time we are at the same meet. You can charge the drone, video camera and 2 laptops for me. :rofl:
Went away with friends who are always running out of power but won't buy new batteries ;) I said "it's OK I will have spare" 70ah later we find that not only charging batteries and running van but he has the fridge on 240v, didn't make the same mistake last week when he was plugged in.

So yes Sandra you should be OK.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
TBH Jon I am more inclined to run it on 240 from the inverter as the 240v element is 250w and the 12v one is only 170w, would need to alter 240v wiring a bit more though.

Martin

Is running the fridge from the inverter a standard feature or would you need to wire that up yourself?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin

Is running the fridge from the inverter a standard feature or would you need to wire that up yourself?
It's prewired to hook up only so yes it would need rewiring ;) I did the Microwave as it was easy and it was more important, will live with it a while and see how we go, if we have more power than we know what to do with it might happen, might be an idea to let it all settle down incase there are any warranty claims that could be complicated.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have an argument against wiring through the inverter. If you are using the inverter on a pretty much full time basis with or without EHU you have to manually switch to gas or 12vdc. I do however see the advantages, if your battery bank is large enough no hassle on the ferrys. Better cooling on the road. 6 of one half dozen the other. I know others who follow Martins process.
Switching the breaker from one circuit to the other is no big deal.
That said I have mine on AC2 out of the Victron so it benefits from UPS support when on EHU.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It's prewired to hook up only so yes it would need rewiring ;) I did the Microwave as it was easy and it was more important, will live with it a while and see how we go, if we have more power than we know what to do with it might happen, might be an idea to let it all settle down incase there are any warranty claims that could be complicated.
I can imagine the conversation about a warranty claim - " ok mr funflair, if you could just indicate the parts of the car that you haven't altered.........."?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can imagine the conversation about a warranty claim - " ok mr funflair, if you could just indicate the parts of the car that you haven't altered.........."?
:LOL::giggle: I chucked an old duvet on the fibreglass panel between the dash and windscreen and on tickover it took 2db off the sound level, guess what's next?;)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
:LOL::giggle: I chucked an old duvet on the fibreglass panel between the dash and windscreen and on tickover it took 2db off the sound level, guess what's next?;)
Interesting, please share your plan. My underfloor insulation made a huge difference and this winter I will do the whole area. But getting under the GRP panel as you suggest???

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Two controllers in parallel running two panels each then all feeding 3 batteries through a centralised connection point.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting, please share your plan. My underfloor insulation made a huge difference and this winter I will do the whole area. But getting under the GRP panel as you suggest???
That's the problem, I don't know how I am going to do it yet ;) current thinking is 15mm noisekiller foam and then lining carpet, not sticking anything to the original so it would all come off if needs be, if nothing else it will stop some of the thermal gain on the gloss black, of course it has to incorporate the windscreen vents which just pull out but the Alde vents are stuck down so they will stay and I will make some new ones in carbon fibre (keep the weight down):LOL:

I still have to have a good look underneath and see if there is anything I can fiddle with there(y)

M

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’ve got two solar panels, they work, but then I only need it for my hair curlers and only then if I’m going to a ‘do’ suits me as the hair straighteners draw too much power;)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
As per title, being a bit obsessed with what I can make off the solar I get tired out going up and down the steps to check inside when I think there is just a bit more sun ;)

So thank to Michael sallylillian for trialing this I made a small investment in a Votronic S-BC, it comes with two data leads and will combine the readings from up to two Votronic solar regulators if you have more than two there is another box of tricks that will combine even more, you can still use your existing solar computer as it just loops out of the S-BC box, I haven't got that plugged in as we have a Buttner "hall effect" solar pro display.

View attachment 418046

The data cables just plug in where the solar computer would have been and the solar computer would go in the spare sockets,

View attachment 418047

The app is in German at the moment but they do say that there is going to be an English version soon, it is quite self explanatory though 3 Amps because the batteries are full, battery voltage, Watts, and then a cumulative total in Wh and Ah, Tage is obviously days so you can go back 30 days.

The battery monitor is only if you have an existing Votronic battery monitor you can couple that in as well but it takes up one of the data slots.

Martin
How much? Where from? Can’t find one on Photonic Universe site, I want one!
We have an MPP350 with 300watts of panels with the solar display in a cupboard that’s award to get at.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
How much? Where from? Can’t find one on Photonic Universe site, I want one!
We have an MPP350 with 300watts of panels with the solar display in a cupboard that’s award to get at.
But how much solar power does this unit consume and what do you do with the 3.4657 amp gain?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993

View attachment 418046

View attachment 418047

Martin
Sounds like you could do with something to plug into your “Buttner” Martin:giggle: I think Freud would say you were fixated at the anal stage of development, but hey weren’t we all? A man must have his interests and something to watch whilst outside in the sun with a bottle of wine, mind you a few other things worth watching spring to mind....... like the full gauge on the cassette!:LOL:(y)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sounds like you could do with something to plug into your “Buttner” Martin:giggle: I think Freud would say you were fixated at the anal stage of development, but hey weren’t we all? A man must have his interests and something to watch whilst outside in the sun with a bottle of wine, mind you a few other things worth watching spring to mind....... like the full gauge on the cassette!:LOL:(y)
250 litre black tank (y) and if I fit supersense I can watch the levels as I sit outside with a bottle of wine watching the solar levels;) I will still need to manually watch the level of the red wine bottle.

M

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back