What three words (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Some may already be aware of this but if not quite fascinating. Also potentially important if you were to be stuck somewhere needing help and not sure what your specific location is.

The world is divided into 3m squares. Each square is allocated three random words. If say you broke a legs somewhere in the Douro mountains, open the app, tell the emergency services the three words it will flag up about your location and they will know exactly where to find you. Brilliant and potentially useful bit of technology. The three words at the entrance to my drive could have been a bit more flattering though!

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I stand to be corrected but believe there are different versions of the App for different countries, so the version you use in UK might not work in say Spain. Then there's the language issue too.

I'm not pooh-poohing the system, its great, but just need to investigate it's use outside your own country. It might be ok but I heard someone question this aspect.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I stand to be corrected but believe there are different versions of the App for different countries, so the version you use in UK might not work in say Spain. Then there's the language issue too.

I'm not pooh-poohing the system, its great, but just need to investigate it's use outside your own country. It might be ok but I heard someone question this aspect.
Be interested in what you find out as this sort invalidates the whole concept.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

"London-based startup what3words has given every location on Earth a three-word English address; now, it's working to support as many languages as possible so that users worldwide can find any destination in their native tongue."

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Ok this moment l tried using the English version of the App in France. My location in France on What 3 Words is given as "percussion/cylinder/double"

Can you imagine where that's going to get me saying it to an operator with the French emergency services? Not far, I can assure you, unless you're lucky enough to be put through to an English speaker who has access to the English app.

As I said earlier, I like the system, but only in one's own country.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ok this moment l tried using the English version of the App in France. My location in France on What 3 Words is given as "percussion/cylinder/double"

Can you imagine where that's going to get me saying it to an operator with the French emergency services? Not far, I can assure you, unless you're lucky enough to be put through to an English speaker who has access to the English app.

As I said earlier, I like the system, but only in one's own country.

So in two clicks, Settings, Language... you'll get French words, much easier to give out than a French Address, even if you have one for that corner of the field you're in.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We use it all the time. Excellent tool
So how many accidents do you have? Actually new to me so trying to work through how useful it is outside of the emergency point. Any pointers, does it work on navigation systems?

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
There have been a few threads about it on the forum in the past and I a good few Funsters have downloaded the app, but a reminder of it is not a bad thing as having it on your phone could literally be a life saver.
Apologies always was behind the curve of life!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So how many accidents do you have? Actually new to me so trying to work through how useful it is outside of the emergency point. Any pointers, does it work on navigation systems?

It can be used for so much. For example a little while ago we were on the CCC site at Oxford, the kids were arriving at midnight. just gave them w3w and it took them right to our front door, no hunting for pitch numbers in the dark. I was meeting my Son at the NEC you know how big the carparks are W3W and he can get right to me.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
So in two clicks, Settings, Language... you'll get French words, much easier to give out than a French Address, even if you have one for that corner of the field you're in.

Exactly!

Big fan of W3W.

From previous threads on this naysayers will probably take a lot of convincing, but in my view its potential benefits massively outweigh perceived disadvantages.

They've just done a very successful funding round so there are plenty that agree!

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
It can be used for so much. For example a little while ago we were on the CCC site at Oxford, the kids were arriving at midnight. just gave them w3w and it took them right to our front door, no hunting for pitch numbers in the dark. I was meeting my Son at the NECm you know how big the carparks are W3w and he can get right to me.
So you navigate via the app?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My french words are "deboucher/parton/discutant".

Altogether now, say out loud with me, "Dee Boo Shay / Par tonne / dis ku ton"

What could possibly go wrong? 🤣😂

Thats not the apps fault. What is your precise location at the moment? If you're French is poor you'll struggle with that too. Don't forget you can ping the three words to most nav systems (y)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I like What 3 Words in the UK, I also like Google Maps when abroad.

Google Maps provides coordinates which all recovery services know how to use, and the user nees a much smaller grasp of a foreign language to communicate, basically the numbers 0 to 9.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Thats not the apps fault. What is your precise location at the moment? If you're French is poor you'll struggle with that too. Don't forget you can ping the three words to most nav systems (y)
That was my point really Jim, it's not an ideal tool in a foreign country for many people. For some it might be but I'm just pointing out it does have limitations.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
As an aside re language, is the NATO alphabet understood world wide, at least by the emergency services? Could be a way of giving location wherever you are

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Yes, it integrates with Google Maps. It's just that it's accurate to 3 metres, rather than a post-code
So do you type in the three words rather than the name? I really should do my own homework but as others here have sorted it.....

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
So do you type in the three words rather than the name? I really should do my own homework but as others here have sorted it.....
When you open up the App, Google Maps opens up. When you zoom to a precise location you will see the map is overlaid with a 3 metre grid. When you highlight a particular square, the "Three word address" is displayed. You then have the option to share it eg to send a text so that friends or Emergency Services can find you or to navigate to that point, at which point it's just like using Google Maps.

This is the gateway of Jim's CL site:

Screenshot_20200820-194717.png

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Wouldn't it be just as easy to use a latitude and longitude. Been around for years and just as accurate

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
All the emergency services in the South West have the option of receiving a location from What Three Words.
saved someone last week when they fractured their ankle down a rabbit hole on the ear of the White Horse. Of course they could have given their location in GPS but some people find long strings of numbers or the notation of GPS (E/W, N/S, +/- Mins and secs) confusing. Three words is easier and understandable for many.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have it on Android, but I assume it's limitations are your signal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back