What everyone doing this winter? (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Haven't been skiing yet with the motorhome due to the distance from were i live to the south coast it has put me off. This year im thinking about going skiing twice. First with motorhome and early March flying. Would really like to do a week for the New year in the motorhome. Im an Intermediate and really looking for recomendations that would suit my level of skiing, good place to park with ehu and within walking distance of nice town with plenty shop, bars and restaurants. I was skiing in Obergurgl last year for a week and noticed a campsite in Solden.
Might also try and encourage my wife and wee whippet to come along so it would have to suit them. This is partly the reason I generally just fly

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
are you confident in going? We have been every year for 15 years in the motorhome and it's the first time ever that I am seriously worried. Luckily we went twice this year, once at Christmas / New year and then again in March as everything was locking up behind us on the way home.
We enjoyed Les Menuires but like most of the winter ski aires now days, you take your chances. Better to find a good campsite to be sure but then again that takes the fun away and commits you to one place.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We usually ski twice a year but usually go 1st week in January and then March. We nearly always find a deal that I think we would struggle to match in the MH. Last one was Feb this year half board flights transfers free wine with dinner to Valdisere (the cheap end la daille) it was about £450 each the January week is cheap too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
We usually ski twice a year but usually go 1st week in January and then March. We nearly always find a deal that I think we would struggle to match in the MH. Last one was Feb this year half board flights transfers free wine with dinner to Valdisere (the cheap end la daille) it was about £450 each the January week is cheap too.
Thats the problem i can usually get half board in 4 star hotel plus 2 flight from Edinburgh for a grand. I way that up against 2 days travelling and staying in the motorhome.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thats the problem i can usually get half board in 4 star hotel plus 2 flight from Edinburgh for a grand. I way that up against 2 days travelling and staying in the motorhome.

but then you are missing the point. In a motorhome if you are not time precious, you can explore many different resorts. Often we will hit Calais and do a weather check and bang, off we go, don't like it, move on.

Motorhoming and skiing isn't for everyone and can be hard work having to get and keep a van serviceable when the temps hit -20 but having said that, personally? I wouldn't have it any other way, or should I say, I can't as my wife can't fly.
20200306_095002.jpg
20190309_124931 (1).jpg
20180314_100141.jpg

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Chris - like one of the other members, we usually head off straight into New Year, but are there for at least 3-4 weeks, and that's kicking off from the South as well.
If I only had a week, or even a fortnight, I would be far more likely to look for a last minute cheapo by air, even if it meant being stuck in one place for the duration.
We allow at least 2-3 days to drive down, unless the weather is bad & we just plough on down the free motoways where available.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But weigh up the total cost of the diesel tolls ferry/tunnel site/Aire has snow chains/ food/ any extra kit required and for us ease of travel and comfort when we're there.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We motorhome at Champ du Moulin in Venosc at Easter. It is the village below Les Deux Alpes. Well worth a look. Didn’t get there this year obviously but hopefully our chalet in St Foy will be ok at New Year.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Was looking to do this in our first Christmas and New Year off in 11 years. We are waiting to see if COVID halts our plans.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds, depending on your point of view

I drive to Austria in my Moho and stay in a 4/5 star hotels

Not really bothered about costs, but prefer driving so I can take more toys - normally go for 4 week trips

But then again I'm a Snowboarder, so therefore far superior to you lot 🙂

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds, depending on your point of view

Not really bothered about costs, but prefer driving so I can take more toys - normally go for 4 week trips

You seem to choose the perverse way of doing things - 2 wheels on the road instead of 4, one contacyt on snow instead of 2 - and face to the mountain half the time instead of down the valley.

Well each to........

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp

I was actually thinking about doing the very same thing but with my lovely new work van that has 6 seats and good size area at the back where i keep my tools. Remove the tools and replace with Skis, boots and all essentials. Pack the wife and the dog and off to a nice 4 star hotel in Austria or France. All covid dependent ofcourse. Ive really become a nervous flier over the last few years so I prefer to drive. Must be an age thing.
Driving the motorhome from edinburgh to the alps is quite a strain. Dont mind in summer but dont fancy in winter when there are less hours in the day to travel.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No plans at the moment - too much up in the air. :(

Now if it is what I would like to do:

1) Round the World Cruise (in the Owner's Suite)
2) Motorhome almost anywhere that isn't a dump.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I was actually thinking about doing the very same thing but with my lovely new work van that has 6 seats and good size area at the back where i keep my tools. Remove the tools and replace with Skis, boots and all essentials. Pack the wife and the dog and off to a nice 4 star hotel in Austria or France. All covid dependent ofcourse. Ive really become a nervous flier over the last few years so I prefer to drive. Must be an age thing.
Driving the motorhome from edinburgh to the alps is quite a strain. Dont mind in summer but dont fancy in winter when there are less hours in the day to travel.

I'm a bit nearer to Dover than you, about 250 miles, I normally book a 22:00 ferry and drive to Austria, the autobahns get busy in the morning rush hour, so I stop for gas and a bite to eat, then finish my journey

Coming home, I have a leisurely breakfast & start driving at 10:00 - after 500 or so miles van needs gas so stop for that & food, then drive to ferry. I use Dunkirk for return, I book for 04:00 in case traffic/weather is bad generally arrive about 22:00 and get on a ferry either at midnight or 02:00. Best thing about Dunkirk that that there is a gated area where you can park & kip while you wait for the ferry

Although I carry snow chains, I have snow tyres (all season) but have rarely needed to fit them to the van, as most of the journey is on main roads that are kept clear

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I would like to and we often talk about doing a hotel/villa. I keep thinking of buying a chalet in my favourite resort and then just using the Motorhome to tour down and tour back. Far nicer than flying and or driving in a car.
but, In order to this I need to keep working, the more I work the less time I have to do this.
cash rich or time rich.... it's always one or the bloody other...

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
are you confident in going? We have been every year for 15 years in the motorhome and it's the first time ever that I am seriously worried. Luckily we went twice this year, once at Christmas / New year and then again in March as everything was locking up behind us on the way home.
We enjoyed Les Menuires but like most of the winter ski aires now days, you take your chances. Better to find a good campsite to be sure but then again that takes the fun away and commits you to one place.
haganap can I ask what you're worried about? I've skied before but never in the van and hoping to start soon - are you worried about a problem of overcrowding in ski aires?

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
All being well with quarantine lifted for France Im looking to go to the aire at montegenevre for a week from 12 - 19th dec. Its the best low cost option i can find as I cant get a direct flight from Scotland that early in the season.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
haganap can I ask what you're worried about? I've skied before but never in the van and hoping to start soon - are you worried about a problem of overcrowding in ski aires?
For me the advantage of going in a motorhome is not being crowded together at the airport and in the plane. I can't imagine ever being able to visit a ski area while maintaining any distance at all from people in the lift queues and lifts especially in telecabines, large 10/12 person gondolas funiculars etc not to mention hotels bars mountain restaurants. We have skied every year for about 35 years with a short gap when the kids were young often twice a year but I think this year we will be giving it a miss unless theres a vaccine in which case bring it on!

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
We had our first ski trip in the van in February staying at the brilliant Huttopia site in Bourg Saint Maurice. This gave pretty much direct access to Les Arcs and La Plagne via the funicular railway and was in striking distance by road of Val d'isere and La Rosier.
The site is also bookable through the Caravan and Motorhome club site which also gives you a free night!
Plenty of season skiers stay at this site in their motorhomes and are always on hand to point you in the right direction. On the other hand, why don't you try Scotland seeing as you are there!
20200219_081429.jpg

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
We had our first ski trip in the van in February staying at the brilliant Huttopia site in Bourg Saint Maurice. This gave pretty much direct access to Les Arcs and La Plagne via the funicular railway and was in striking distance by road of Val d'isere and La Rosier.
The site is also bookable through the Caravan and Motorhome club site which also gives you a free night!
Plenty of season skiers stay at this site in their motorhomes and are always on hand to point you in the right direction. On the other hand, why don't you try Scotland seeing as you are there!
View attachment 423525
That looks like a great option. I really fancied La Plagne but I had reservations about the drive up to the new aire at La Plagne. Ther skiing there really suits my ability at the moment. Oh and ive tried Glencoe mountain not for the faint hearted on a terrible day of weather. :rolleyes:

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
That looks like a great option. I really fancied La Plagne but I had reservations about the drive up to the new aire at La Plagne. Ther skiing there really suits my ability at the moment. Oh and ive tried Glencoe mountain not for the faint hearted on a terrible day of weather. :rolleyes:
Well La Plagne is a linked resort so takes time to get there. We have skied it on a number of trips but to be honest you will find Les Arc more than accommodating.
The only issue I would say is that the funicular railway(which is reached by local bus service from the campsite or can be walked to and from), can sometimes get quite crowded... not the ideal situation in a pandemic, but I guess if you pick your dates well and miss the school holidays you should be ok.
The Huttopia site is really good with well thought out facilities and is within walking distance of a Super U super market.
On the flip side, we had a tour of Scotland a year last February trying to find the snow, every ski area, but no snow... warmest February on record! Would agree on what the weather can be like in Scotland, no fun at the top of M1 in the Cairngorms when an Ice storm is raging!

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Samoens has campsite nr to the lifts and town centre.
We've skied at Samoens several times, though not in a motorhome. We have eyed up the campsite for future reference, though. It is really close to the gondolas and there's a great bakery for sandwiches you pass to get to the lifts, to save on the expensive mountain lunches and plenty of picnic spots. There is loads of skiing, some high but subject to winds, and plenty low if that happens. It links into the vast snowbowl that is Flaine where there's some fun off-piste between the runs and the long 14km run down to Cirque Fer a Cheval. Samoens is a lovely little town, the end of January brings a small wine fair, you are within driving range of other resorts like Morzine and Les Gets, and best of all it's only an hour and a bit off the motorway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back