What Do you Guys Think? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We've been saving for our first Motorhome for ages and to this end will be hoping to see this one (ebay no 280636279719) at the weekend, if its still available.

What do you guys think of it? ya or nay:thumb:

Tim

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
The `Magnum` part of the description could mean it is one of Ken Carters conversions, it certainly looks like one of his, and he is still in business here.....
http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/

Looks like the present owner has loved it. I would be having a good look at the chassis/cab part of the rig very closely as early Transits weren`t the most rust free vehicles out there. Just do the normal checks and take an expert if you have one available. ::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Q: hi ihave a smaller camper van would you be interested in px cheers mark
A: Hi Mark I am looking for a MERCEDES VITO TRAVELINER but send me some information and pictures regarding camper and i will run it past the wife (I am the BOSS just don’t tell her)

one of the questions asked and makes me suspicious, is he a backs street trader?

looks a nice van, but?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Haggars is right to be suspicious, better to be aware when viewing ..

However, on the face of it it looks like a decent van for not a lot of money ..

Take a friend, preferably someone who is in the motor trade or knows about motorhomes or cars.

All the usual checks as if you were buying a car: tyres, exhaust, brakes, gearbox, engine, steering, lights, indicators, etc and corrosion

HPI check, inspect the V5 and check if it is registered to the seller...

Test drive, not just around the block, get it out on a variety of roads including main roads with a 70mph limit..

I would ask for a new MOT .. If the seller is reticent be suspicious. June is not far away !

Habitation.

*Check that all appliances work, insist on this.

*Check for DAMP .. poke your nose into every cupboard, look around windows and roof lights, look for tell tale 'tide marks' be suspicious of air freshener smell... often used to mask the smell of mildew and damp. If there are any signs or unusual smells walk away.. damp kills motorhomes and is prohibitively expensive to put right, there are plenty of others on the market.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi just take notice of what everyone is saying :thumb: Give it a good inspection and make sure EVERYTHING works :thumb: THIS WILL NEED AN HOUR OR MORE( buy a small temp gauge to throw in the fridge)Mechanical side of things the engines are bullet proof but loud- gearbox not so :thumb:CHECK where it mounts rear suspension to chassis :Eeek:Expect more like 25 mpg
terry
Fogot to say starting at 7500 this is the most I would offer

Attachments

• mh_inspection_checklist_938.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 9

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looks a lot of MH for the money. Good layout. RWD which is good.

So is it a bargain or scam ?

PS Selling feedback goes back to 2003. Lots of buying too. I'd think that is the sign of a genuine user.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Nice looking van but a number of concerns.
1) why a non date numberplate
2) replaced panels and respray along with internal refit would make me wonder if it had been an insurance write off.
3) The carver fire is now obsolete, finding parts a nightmare and expencive.
Having said all that with an HPI check and new MOT it would be a good buy. Excellent layout.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If I had the ca$h would consider it myself.

Do all the usual checks and its a good buy at this price.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Seems awfully cheap - bearing in mind I have seen some awful examples go for double figures.

Damp meter would be a wise investment, have a really good look around. Transits have bulletproof engines, but they are not exactly powerful (not that many motorhomes are!) but transits are plodders! I would take a magnet for filler too - these things rust like fury - check chassis, doorsteps, front arches, a pillars etc.

Check roof skylights....old sealer on joins/skylight is a good indication of how a vehicle has been maintained! Old crusty stuff, would show someone doing a job when it breaks or causes a problem...and in skylights, that will always be way too late. Nice fresh flexible seals will show the owner pro-actively maintains his vehicle - match that with good meter readings inside (particularly corners) and you should be onto a sound van. Lots of damp would suggest they left it too late and are trying to get rid before it shows! Look for painted roof panel inside too!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I know he should say trader but I was a trader and mainly sold good stuff.

im talking about the back street trader, The type whom can work wonders with a tin of filler a can of spray paint and then talk his way through any inspection.
I find it odd that he describes needing money as his reasons for sale, yet offered a PX is willing to negotiate.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some traders love to pretend to be private sellers, all that sale of goods legislation just passes them by

A

Addie

Deleted User
It seems a lot of money on the face of it, my concern when looking at old motorhomes is "if that was a van, it would be worth £500". The fact it has some panels strapped to the back of it suddenly it's worth another £10k!

If you are looking for a bargin / cheap camper you need to act fast. Generally the bargins are to be had from November/Feb and a lot of cheap vans are available from Kiwi/Auzzies returning from Europe and having a matter of days or weeks to sell their vans.

My preference for an older van would always for for a LHD continental make. The Europeans were streets ahead of us in terms of motorhome design and build quality and lots of campers were imported in the early 90's when import tax was abolished as we joined the EU. Hymer, Eura Mobil, Dethleffs etc

I know someone who purchased this for £5k:
40896688.jpg

1992 Fiat Hymer Camp (4 berth). 1.9ltr Diesel. Current MOT and Tax. 105,000 miles the on clock with full Service History. She is a small wheel base and can park in single car parks. It has been well designed with plenty of storage and no issues of comfort. Features include: Toilet, shower, heater, permanent double bed above driving cabin, roll out awning, kitchenette, dining area (converts into another double bed), attachable tent, bike rack, roof storage box, thermal window covers Also includes everything needed to go: Power cords and plugs for mains electricity, pots and pans, cutlery. £5,200

There are some other examples on my buying guide:
http://www.europebycamper.com/p/buyers-guide.html

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Private sale: Advice Guide

Link Removed

Extracts.. see link for full text :

You bought the vehicle from a private seller

You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer.

The vehicle doesn't have to be of satisfactory quality. However, if the seller offers a description of the vehicle, it must match the description given. It must also be roadworthy and the seller must have 'good title' to the vehicle. This means that they must be the legal owner in order to sell it to you.

If the vehicle doesn't match the description given, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller, which has caused injury to someone. However, it may be especially difficult to get compensation from a private seller.

You will only be able to claim against a private seller for one of the following reasons:

* the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you
* the seller broke a specific contract term
* the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller
* the seller did not have good title to the vehicle
* the vehicle is unroadworthy.

The seller was a dealer posing as a private seller

Dealers sometimes pretend to be private sellers, by using the small ads and a private address and telephone number.[HI] It is an unfair commercial practice and a criminal offence to do this. [/HI]If you suspect that the person who sold the vehicle was a dealer posing as a private seller, you should report the dealer to Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506, or visit (New window) www.consumerdirect.gov.uk. In Northern Ireland, phone Consumerline on 0845 600 6262, or visit (New window) www.consumerline.org.

If the seller was a dealer it does not mean that you can cancel the sale. But it does mean that you have the same legal protection as when you buy from a dealer. You may be able to take legal action against them if there are problems with the vehicle that can't be sorted out.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The same story as with any sale, buyer beware. TBH finding a filler-free van and damp-free van of that age is going to be a gamble. They are getting older now, and you have to expect higher maintenance costs, and more work/effort will be needed.

I remember being at a main dealer looking around some of the vans, and seeing an elderly couple look round a seriously tired Sherpa Highwayman. Every ounce of me wanted to tell him to walk away from it and not waste his 15k. But I kept my nose out and felt guilty ever since! So guilty I ended up starting the project I am working on now. Please, look carefully, take Jim's guide with you and use it!

£20 Damp meter will save you a world of hurt - research, ask and be fussy - especially with older vehicles!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This van had a refurbishment 8 / 9 yrs ago and still looks good in the pics :thumb:(My own van was finished almost 5 yrs ago and still looks like it was done 6 mths ago :thumb:) It looks a quality job with not a lot of miles :thumb:My only thing I would be worried about is the trannys built in rot :Eeek: Go for it if everything checks out ::bigsmile: but also be prepared to walk especially if the back Axel mountings are ifffy
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We've been saving for our first Motorhome for ages and to this end will be hoping to see this one (ebay no 280636279719) at the weekend, if its still available.

What do you guys think of it? ya or nay:thumb:

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes it looks a nice van but it is now NINETEEN years old, no one has bid on it. Basic tranny van that age is worth zilch.

Frankly its about £7ks worth as a retail buy in my view also strange that he says he has not time to use it but is looking for another one!

Peter

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all your replys guys:thumb:, Im not in love with it so will have an open mind and we will see how it goes, I will let you all know when we get back:Smile:

Tim

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Just had a look and it looks like its gone anyway:cry: so will keep on looking::bigsmile:

Tim

right o wizzer, should us funsters help you in your search?:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tim according to my impression it did not sell and got no bids :Sad: Time to give seller a reality check and offer him 5k then work from there :Eeek::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
right o wizzer, should us funsters help you in your search?:thumb:

That would be nice:thumb: , Im looking at less than ten grand, there's only two of us and we are looking for a coachbuilt or A class, no longer than 22 foot. with not to many miles please:Smile: oh to hell with it we'll consider almost anthing:roflmto:

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Tim according to my impression it did not sell and got no bids :Sad: Time to give seller a reality check and offer him 5k then work from there :Eeek::thumb:
terry

Sold it privatly apparently:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That would be nice:thumb: , Im looking at less than ten grand, there's only two of us and we are looking for a coachbuilt or A class, no longer than 22 foot. with not to many miles please:Smile: oh to hell with it we'll consider almost anthing:roflmto:

Tim

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
heres a cheapo bid him 5k at most - use it for a year and sell it for what you paid
Link Removed
again use it then get more or less what you paid
Link Removed
tidy looking conversion on a new van -bid 9 k you never know:winky:
Link Removed
terry

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
tell you what, I dont like the van, but boy that is a lot of van there..... lpg tanks to onboard genny the guys conversion looks spot on.:thumb:

Tell you what, I don't particularly like the LDV bit either, but at that price I think it looks like a bargain to me - a lot of van for the money ......

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno if the original poster has bought it but it has been taken off eBay

It looks like a real bargain.. We was lucky and found exactly what we wanted ( at a second try ! ) for about the same money when we started out.

I would snap it up.. Just remember you are buying an older vehicle.. Be prepared to fix the odd problem along the way.. In other words be realistic about it..

My only negative comment.. Why oh why do these people think that an Irish plate is a 'private plate ?

Years ago such a registration was a big big minus agin a vehicle as Fords and a couple of others had massive holding pens on the coast of NI..
So what I hear you say :)
Weeelll, vehicles that had sat too long were often registered in NI and sent to garages over there.. But of course, after sitting in a field next to the sea for a fair whiile the grot would get WELL ingrained ! ... Of course it remained 'under the surface' for a couple of years but suddenly an almost new car or van would turn in to a total rust box over night !

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys Been away and not had time to thank you all for your input:Blush:

as per usual something else has come up and we are having to put buying a Motorhome on the back burner for a bit.

Thanks again and we will have one one day god willing:thumb:

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back